• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I already figure that an XBO or PS4 game disc will be able to load up into an XBN or PS5 because backward compatibility has been featured so much.

With the likelihood of cross-gen games being the norm for quite awhile and likely updates to older games to make them run better on PS5, could we enter an era where physical games are the exact same game disc in both the PS4 and PS5 game boxes or XBO and XBN game boxes?

Isn't it basically going to be "PC on very high settings is new gen, PC on medium is last gen" and it will be the same game code on the disc like PC games have for various configurations? Could you possibly open up a PS5 box of the next Call of Duty and stick the disc in your PS4 just like you will be able to do with the PS4 version in a PS5?

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
With the likelihood of cross-gen games being the norm for quite awhile and likely updates to older games to make them run better on PS5, could we enter an era where physical games are the exact same game disc in both the PS4 and PS5 game boxes or XBO and XBN game boxes?

Isn't it basically going to be "PC on very high settings is new gen, PC on medium is last gen" and it will be the same game code on the disc like PC games have for various configurations? Could you possibly open up a PS5 box of the next Call of Duty and stick the disc in your PS4 just like you will be able to do with the PS4 version in a PS5?

Microsoft did this with some games for Xbox One in terms of BC. They had a few third-party reprints that shows Xbox 360 and Xbox One logos on an Xbox One cover to show they'd play on both, but particularly an Xbox One.

new_xbox_360_discs_for_backwards_compatible_games_fallout_3_1.jpg

Eg6UuES_zs2KcRSHEY9Uvc1jHlk1WEdBVfz9kD0-Cxw.jpg

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
Probably not I expect the PS5 and Series X games to be printed on 4K disks at least as otherwise they will never get enough data in the higher quality on it

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the new consoles are designed to do that from the start, it's possible. Seems unlikely though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Just depends on a game by game basis, we expect the new machines to both support a new bluray disc that holds double the capacity but if a game could fit on an old disc then I dont see why not besides the fact that companies want to sell you two versions. That's probably the biggest factor.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone that thinks they can put a ps4/XB1 game into the 5/xbx and get the 5/xbx version without paying extra is fooling themselves.

I will eat a sock if something so pro-consumer actually happens.

OP
OP
SeeingeyeDug

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Just depends on a game by game basis, we expect the new machines to both support a new bluray disc that holds double the capacity but if a game could fit on an old disc then I dont see why not besides the fact that companies want to sell you two versions. That's probably the biggest factor.

I think that they will still want to put cross gen games into PS5 and XBN boxes to inflate the size of the libraries even if both discs end up being exactly the same as previous gen.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably do a dual disc setup if games become universal just cause they'll need the larger disc for 4k assets in AAA games and the base current gen consoles (& pro on ps side) dont support them. 1 regular bd that has current gen assets and let's you boot the game on either console, 1 bdxl install disc for next gen with 4k assets that you only use during the install.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Probably not I expect the PS5 and Series X games to be printed on 4K disks at least as otherwise they will never get enough data in the higher quality on it
That wouldn't stop them from reading current gen discs, though. 4K Blu-ray players still read regular Blu-rays and DVDs. That means PS5 and Series X games wouldn't *have* to be on 4K discs if they don't need the space. Cross-gen games shouldn't.