• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

miku

Oct 25, 2017
the future
Former Square employee mention this on facebook yesterday after listening to FF8 theme song Eyes On Me. He said he felt nostalgic and that the model for each character at that time were based on staff at Square. Going around the development floor was like the world of FF8 for him

The model for protagonist Squall was character designer Tetsuya Nomura and the model for Rinoa was Squartz's president Hiromi Masuda. He also got to met the FF models every day while working there

Lord Nomura is the true tensai

1W8CTtF.gif

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
no way...

*remembers what Nomura looks like now... imagines what he looked like 20 years ago*

...way

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So second best ff character ever from 2nd best ff game ever is based on Nomura, I'm cool with it.

Edit: first being our boy Punished Noctis and FFXV of course.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
He designed Zell as well.......not surprised, at least zell is a fucking badass with those gloves. My favorite fist fighter in the series still

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Really? I swore he was based on River Phoenix. And Cid on Robin Williams.

I don't know what Hiromi Masuda looks like but that would make sense since I always noticed Rinoa looked much more distinctly Japanese than most of the other FF characters.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he had said Squall was based on River Phoenix, years ago. Is he revising history?

Nov 28, 2017
Huh, I genuinely thought he was based on Gackt. I can see the resemblance with Nomura now that you've mention it though.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna know who they based Quistis off of. Secret best FF8 character.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
I also recall reading that Squall was based on River Phoenix. So is it that the CG model is based on Nomura but Nomura's actual design was based on River?