• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The U.S. ambassador to the European Union, Gordon Sondland, intends to tell Congress this week that the content of a text message he wrote denying a quid pro quo with Ukraine was relayed to him directly by President Trump in a phone call, according to a person familiar with his testimony.
Sondland plans to tell lawmakers he has no knowledge of whether the president was telling him the truth at that moment. "It's only true that the president said it, not that it was the truth," said the person familiar with Sondland's planned testimony, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive diplomatic matters.
The Sept. 9 exchange between Sondland and the top U.S. diplomat to Ukraine has become central to the House Democrats' impeachment inquiry into whether the president abused his office in pressuring Ukraine to open an investigation into his political rival Joe Biden and his son, who sat on the board of a Ukrainian energy company. The White House and its defenders have held up Sondland's text, which included "no quid pro quo's of any kind," as proof that none was ever considered.
Hours before Sondland called the president, he received a text message from the acting ambassador to Ukraine, William B. Taylor, raising questions about the aid holdup. "I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign," Taylor texted Sondland.
That's when Sondland, according to the person's understanding, called Trump, who then told him he didn't "want a quid pro quo … didn't want anything from Ukraine." The call lasted less than five minutes, and Trump appeared to be in a foul mood, the person said.
Sondland is expected to say that for months before the Sept. 9 message, he worked at the direction of Rudolph W. Giuliani, Trump's personal attorney, to secure what he would call in another text message the "deliverable" sought by Trump: a public statement from Ukraine that it would investigate corruption, including mentioning Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company, by name. In exchange for the statement, the president would grant Ukraine's new president a coveted White House audience.
"It was a quid pro quo, but not a corrupt one," the person familiar with Sondland's testimony said.
Sondland appears poised to say that he and other diplomats did not know that the request to mention Burisma was really an effort to impugn the reputations of Biden and his son Hunter, who had served as a Burisma board member. Sondland contends that he didn't know about the Biden connection until a whistleblower complaint and transcript surfaced in late September.
To trust Sondland's testimony, members of Congress will have to believe Sondland had not seen televised appearances by Giuliani over the spring and summer, or numerous newspaper and magazine articles questioning whether Hunter Biden's role at Burisma could prove to be a drag on his father's presidential campaign.
"If people find that incredulous, it strikes me that the incredulity is hindsight bias," said the person familiar with Sondland's testimony. "The things that seem so clear to people now didn't seem so clear in real time."
Sondland "somehow wants all of us to believe that he is 'shocked, shocked' that anything he was wrapped up in was aimed at the Bidens. That beggars belief," said Andrew Weiss, vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. "After all, he is a political appointee who prided himself on having direct access to Trump during this period."

Dude trying to save his own ass and not be thrown under the bus

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
well i didn't read it before, i was just given talking points. But now that I have read, yeah i may have fucked up. Sorry

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Save his own ass an not have his businesses and his ties to rich Texans looked into. He wants to survive post Trump since he's not an actual government type just a leech.

That and he (his lawyers) realized that he is next in line to be thrown under the bus after Rudy.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering what he was going to do. Especially since he decided to testify after getting blocked.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Dude is in cover your ass mode but he's still just a liar. I'm calling bullshit that he didn't know. Those texts were damning enough, but we know Fiona's testimony is going to further bury this guy.

Ukraine wasn't even supposed to be his realm given that he is EU, so you mean to tell me this guy never asked questions or digged into the true reason he was being asked to RISK HIS NECK OPENLY on some high crimes shit?

I know there's a lot of dumb people, and plenty of them are rich and connected like Sondland. But this dude didn't get to where he is without being a tad bit smart in his own right and future-seeing. I think he just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and is trying to draw attention away.

I hope the committees remind him every step of the way that he's under oath and that if they find out he's lying or withholding, there will be consequences even if it has to wait another year+.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"It's only true that the president said it, not that it was the truth."
giphy.gif

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh, it was congressional appropriated funds that were held up for a personal favor into manufacturing an investigation. LOL
They're trying to spin it as just being about the White House meeting and not about the funds. They keep admitting to crimes thinking, "well it's not as bad as the worst version being presented." Doesn't seem to be working too great. I'm legitimately starting to think Trump might get removed. I need to stop that.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Who took the cookie from the cookie jar?
I took the cookie from the cookie jar.
Who took the cookie from the cookie jar?
I took the cookie from the cookie jar.
Who, me?
Yes, you.
Yeah, me.
Then wh--...wait.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how often this administration's defense is "I'm too stupid to have known what I was doing was wrong, and therefore it wasn't wrong".