• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

His marks on the coronavirus response specifically are even better. Gallup showed Americans approve of him on that 60 percent to 38 percent, with even 27 percent of Democrats on board.

Others don't have it quite so high, but he remains in positive territory. Monmouth showed that 50 percent say he's done a "good job" on the coronavirus, vs. 45 percent who say he's done a "bad job." Yet another poll from Democratic groups Global Strategy Group and GBAO Strategies showed52 percent approved of his coronavirus response, compared to 43 percent who disapprove. About 1 in 5 Democrats in both polls had a positive impression.

Which brings us to the economy. There is less prevalent recent polling on that, but an Economist this week showed 50 percent rate Trump's performance on jobs and the economy as being positive vs. just 39 percent negative. And that's even as people have recognized the downturn: Half of voters said the economy is getting worse, while just 19 percent say it's getting better. To the extent they're worried about the economy, they seem to be blaming the virus rather than the president.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Thought that thread title was going somewhere else until I got to the last word.

Also, I'm pretty sure a similar thread was locked earlier today.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we know, probably didn't need a whole thread dedicated to it.

But hey ho, I guess if this situation won't sink his chances nothing will.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is quite normal, whenever there is a major crisis the president gets a boost merely by being on TV looking serious all the time.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Cognitive dissonance at its' finest. It was never really about the economy in most people's minds, but people will mobilise what 'evidence' they can to support their belief.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
His entire voter base is made up exclusively of ignorant racists that believe everything he tells them. How is this surprising?

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's not going to keep going that way. Thousands and thousands will die. The economy will be destroyed.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Simply put. The polls are out of date every day the virus spreads. Give it time and you'll see that approval tank as well.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Most of America is not affected by it yet.

If and when it spreads into middle America those numbers will drop.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is normal. It's called "Rally Around the Flag" all presidents have enjoyed this in times of crisis.

Trump's has been fairly muted, which is generally not a strong sign.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Like someone said in the other thread, even Carter's numbers went up immediately after the hostage crisis.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Stop being worried about polls right after a crisis. People will rally around the president.

If 6 months from now, after months of growing unemployment numbers, coronavirus related deaths, and negative ads from the campaign he's still polling this high, then we can start to worry.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The News needs to show what it is like in Hospitals. They need to show how it's getting worse everyday. They need to show how awful it is to have this disease and die from it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't have forethought. They'll (hopefully) be more reasonable once it starts to affect the health of people they know. I still think it will end up being a negative for Trump once the attack ads get going.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
just wait a week or 2 until many many more people personally know someone who has gotten sick from and/or died from this.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
As Nate Silver has pointed out, this line of pooling isnt that great during a crisis because there is natural herding of people wanting to come together during a crisis. The polling of how he handled after its over will tell the full story, and his overall job approval numbers remain stagnant along with polls of generic democrat vs trump remaining steady along with biden v. trump and bernie v. trump.

ET98hvZXkAEhC7C

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just met with Gallup today about some COVID-19 data, people support their leaders during a crisis, regardless of party. His numbers will hold steady or rise for the duration.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
after a crisis, and a major one at that... getting 60% is terrible, I wouldn't be bragging about this.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
You can say people are stupid all day - people respond to emotions and Trump knows how to use language well to convince people of shit.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
As Nate Silver has pointed out, this line of pooling isnt that great during a crisis because there is natural herding of people wanting to come together during a crisis. The polling of how he handled after its over will tell the full story, and his overall job approval numbers remain stagnant along with polls of generic democrat vs trump remaining steady along with biden v. trump and bernie v. trump.
Reporter: "What do you say to Americans who are scared in this time of crisis?"
Trump: "You're a terrible reporter"

How TF can anyone hear THAT coming out of his mouth and have confidence that he's going to help guide us through? It's completely baffling.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
People always rally the wagons. It's a temporary boost that'll go away over time, especially when the virus doesn't stop being a thing. Plus if this is the highest his approval can go, even during a national crisis, then his future isn't going to look too good.

Even Bush's insane 9/11 boost didn't hold up forever

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I think this is quite normal, whenever there is a major crisis the president gets a boost merely by being on TV looking serious all the time.

I think so too.
As the "face" of the crisis, he is also going to also take points/credit for the Stimulus bill
On paper, the numbers the media has been touting also look small compared to other places. (Mostly because of the lack of testing)

I'm sad to say it, but its going to get worse soon enough. :(
Come Easter (He set himself up for that lol), I bet the dude is going to be in the shit

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
is it really that surprising when those with the loudest voice are telling lies about how good of a job he's doing? this is how those with power stay in power, regardless of the facts

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
im fairly certain theres a decent percentage of democrats (like 13% i saw in one poll...fools) who approve but obviously wont vote for him.

...some will though.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People look to authority to provide stability in troubled times. That's what this is. It's still incredibly depressing after he fucked the US response to COVID-19, which will lead to thousands of deaths that might have been avoided.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
People got mad at me when I suggested that this would happen. We don't have this in the bag, especially not with Biden.