• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I am not from the US, but I have been invested watching all the impeachment process. Right now, the way that Trump's administration is working, mirrors the way Mexico presidents work: They do corrupt things, and even if every single citizen finds out with evidence, pictures and video, the president or his team just do whatever is necessary so they don't have any consequences, with no regard of how illegal or corrupt it might be.

I am thinking that in Mexico, president Obrador is just going to take Trump's acquittal as an example of how he can get away about anything he can do. He already is with many things like ordering the halt of the airport construction even before he was officially president, and trying to build one that not one expert has supported it, as well as any airline in the world.

I think that looking at how republicans are blindly defending trump without any regard of legal, political or personal consequences, is something that other presidents could build as an strategy for future administrations in order to keep power and do corrupt things without any worries of legal repercussions. It could be a start of an era in which presidential candidates try to form a dictatorship disguised as democracy (which already happens, but could be done in a more obvious cynical way to the people)

Sadly, most of this could happen in Mexico and Latin American countries, because its where the corruption is just a way of life.

I think it is necessary for the (a) next president of United States to make a law about setting a real process of impeachment, where rules are clear and nothing is left to interpretation of the parties involved, so that next time it happens, everyone knows what to do, and we won't have to deal with corrupt politicians trying to invent a process to their benefits, like it's happening now.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps it's more accurate to say that other terrible world leaders past and present set a precedent for Trump?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i doubt it, other countries care more than america does about politics. look at hong hong and south korea

Jul 3, 2019
Honestly when Obama got into office and didn't immediately investigate the Bush administration for it's lies and awful shit they were writing a blank check for those bastards.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Not really, it's par for the course with American impeachments. As long as a candidate's party has the senate they're safe.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
it's declining in other countries too. Authoritarian power grabbers are on the rise.
The internet is gonna ensure totalitarian gobs can hold us by the balls.
The best we got going for is that media content is so fucking awesome that at the end of the day maybe it won't be so bad. As long as we get our seasons and our cinematic universes. I'm glad kidding

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
just saying even if we win 2020, Brazil, Philippines, Turkey and several Eastern Europe nations are embracing populist demagogue s
Hopefully our progress is contagious.
If not then best we can hope is we can diplomatically influence those governments to be nicer to their citizens.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
just saying even if we win 2020, Brazil, Philippines, Turkey and several Eastern Europe nations are embracing populist demagogue s

I wouldn't exactly say Brazil is embracing Bolsarano given his approval numbers.

As for the others, winning 2020 will be very important when it comes to world influence. No, it won't magically make the far-right go away, but it will serve as an important moment showing that there's an opposing force ready to strike back.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico's presidents have been able to get away with anything for ages before Trump was elected so I don't think it affects directly. (For Mexico at least)

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Not really, it's par for the course with American impeachments. As long as a candidate's party has the senate they're safe.

Yep, from what I gathered today it is almost a carbon copy of the Clinton one but with the roles reversed. I think Trump is the bigger scumbag, but the politics seem almost identical.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
OP is full of shit, the airport is being overseen by a team of at least 50 engineers, and it is also being supervised by Aeroméxico, so the statement about having zero support by any airlines is a lie, only 4 major international airlines(afaik) expressed their concerns about the viability of coordinating their units around 3 available airports. So yeah, stop being disingenuous, beating around the bush and say what's really on your mind.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so is it whataboutism to point out that not a single democratic senator had the integrity to vote to remove that scumbag bill clinton? impeaching a president is a political carnival that's only possible if the party from whose ranks the president comes from thinks it makes political sense at the time to remove them.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Powerful people don't need Trump's acquittal as proof that they can get away with terrible deeds. They already know they can, and if not, they will make sure of it.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I don't think so. Maybe for the popular opinion, but in my country we have laws, and the Prime Minister doesn't have all that power. The President of the Republic can sack him whenever he sees he is breaking the Constitution.

USA (and France as well), put too much instruments in the Executive power branch.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is necessary for the (a) next president of United States to make a law about setting a real process of impeachment, where rules are clear and nothing is left to interpretation of the parties involved, so that next time it happens, everyone knows what to do, and we won't have to deal with corrupt politicians trying to invent a process to their benefits, like it's happening now.
The way impeachment works in the US is described in the Constitution, so changing it would require a constitutional amendment. That process is difficult at any time, but virtually impossible if one of the two political parties is determined to oppose the change. To do what you're talking about would require both Democrats and Republicans to agree on a new impeachment process, which is unlikely.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
so is it whataboutism to point out that not a single democratic senator had the integrity to vote to remove that scumbag bill clinton? impeaching a president is a political carnival that's only possible if the party from whose ranks the president comes from thinks it makes political sense at the time to remove them.

It's whataboutism in the sense that the stakes and circumstances are completely different. Trump isn't being impeached for a sex-scandal related process crime like Clinton was. (even though Trump has a similar thing going for him with the Stormy Daniels story) Clinton was being a sleaze, but he wasn't trying to undermine democracy or disposing of official ambassadors for corrupt purposes or annulling measures congress voted on or using the country's political and financial clout to extort an ally for personal political gain. If he had been guilty of those kinds of things, I'm almost certain at least some vulnerable Democratic senators would have come out against him. In fact, the mainstream media would have turned against him and it's not unlikely Clinton would have been removed for real. Impeachment is the equivalent of a tactical nuke that even many opposition politicians are reluctant to use willy nilly, but Trump's behavior is the very stuff it was implemented for.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Not exactly. That the rules are flexible for impeachment isn't proof that there are no rules. Not everything is permitted, otherwise Trump would be doing more dangerous things than what he's doing now.

Bad things are going to happen if Trump is acquitted just like that and the world gets that memo as 'fuck it, anything goes now'.

And? Bad men often get away with things when they retain their power, which why it's impotant to vote politicians like him out of office and stop them from ascending to prevent this kind of shit from happening. Trump was always going to beat this, due to how the system operates - it's what many have been trying to say since impeachment was bought up.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
His cult believes he didnt do anything wrong and that its all faked

Its a national embarrassment

Jul 3, 2019
you don't want to become a Brazil where you jail a predecessor for political motives

Lying to the public and creating a false pretense to a war is not in anyway equivalent to jailing political opponents.
As is the use of torture, not following the Geneva Convention, and giving government contracts to companies that had their higher ups in that presidents cabinet.
Shameful hucksters and liars that should never be in any sort of position of power.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
hmm I really don't think it's that deep, look at all the other shit even just America has done in the last 50 years that no one got punished for.

And it's not like things we're any different before America was on top.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The 3 branches of government is suppose to prevent the President having too much power.

But when you stack the SCOTUS and Gerrymander, you have all the power you want.

This whole impeachment and Senate Trial literally protects the president. The facts that Trump could kill someone and not get an arrest warrant and slam his ass to jail is a flawed system.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
It's whataboutism in the sense that the stakes and circumstances are completely different. Trump isn't being impeached for a sex-scandal related process crime like Clinton was. (even though Trump has a similar thing going for him with the Stormy Daniels story) Clinton was being a sleaze, but he wasn't trying to undermine democracy or disposing of official ambassadors for corrupt purposes or annulling measures congress voted on or using the country's political and financial clout to extort an ally for personal political gain. If he had been guilty of those kinds of things, I'm almost certain at least some vulnerable Democratic senators would have come out against him. In fact, the mainstream media would have turned against him and it's not unlikely Clinton would have been removed for real. Impeachment is the equivalent of a tactical nuke that even many opposition politicians are reluctant to use willy nilly, but Trump's behavior is the very stuff it was implemented for.

Clinton didn't get impeached for being a sleaze, he got impeached for being a sleaze and then lying about it and committing perjury. If he just came out and said 'I had sex with that woman' it would have been 24-hour news cycle worthy at best.

I honestly don't blame the dems for voting to not impeach him, the man had extramarital sex and lied about it.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, from what I gathered today it is almost a carbon copy of the Clinton one but with the roles reversed. I think Trump is the bigger scumbag, but the politics seem almost identical.

This is an incredibly simplistic take from comparing the two.
  1. Clinton did not stop congress's subpoena of key witnesses e.g., Mulvaney and Bolton.
  2. Clinton did not obstruct justice, he lied under oath.
So you might need to gather better, as other posters have pointed out.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, if Republicans are actually going to do what we all know they will, it's literally the end of democratic institutions.

The American experiment is done with.