• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
One of my friends posted this. I died laughing:

"After watching Trump's address tonight, I have NEVER been more HAPPY to see an old white woman who needs to speak to the manager. "

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
What a waste of time.... this guy will never budge and thinks that he is winning the popularity contest by reading a TelePrompTer. Doesn't he know that his base wants that unadulterated trump red meat? Not any of this all natural organic gluten free trump impossible burger shit?

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
It's akin to booking climate deniers on their networks which they also do very regularly. Putting them on tv next to actual knowledgeable people is problematic for discourse in itself. I understand why they did it this time, but I doubt they would again just as they've stopped covering his political rallies when he's just rambling over the same racist greatest hits that have no value to a newsroom.
And again, that's the problem. You ignore climate deniers, eventually they go away. Ignore the loud mouth bigots, eventually they go away (and get Fox News contracts)

You can't ignore the POTUS. You literally can't. He's terrible. He's racist. He's an idiot. And he's our leader. And in the era of "fake news" all ignoring him does is gives him more fuel for that fire. And you can argue that his hardcore base of ~30% are the ones who eat it up.... but you'd be surprised by the more centrist Republican voters out there who side with him when he "gets beaten up by the press". There's a ton of them out there.

I agree with you. 99.99999%. Any "expert" or "advisor" who's just a fucking idiot.. deplatform them. But you can't deplatform the POTUS. It's not how our freedom of press should work. Period. Especially not just because we got a really really really terrible one.

They did it right. He's the POTUS. So give him his coverage and fact check the hell out of it.

If it were ANYONE ELSE I would agree with you entirely.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Anyone got a TLDW for what he's said so far? I intended on watching but I got caught up doing things that were less soulcrushing.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
This is my take as well. I don't see this ending anytime soon.
There's enough sound bites from GOP senators saying we need to open the government without the wall that I actually don't agree. And I think the Dem response just made it that much worse. Schumer saying "we should open up the government now and debate policy after" is going to resonate with people, ESPECIALLY when Dems have the advantage of doing exactly that early 2018 with DACA (which they then got fucked over on). Mitch has been missing since last week and I guarantee he's hiding from the GOP Senate because he knows he's about to get bitched out by enough GOP Senators to easily have 60 votes for a veto.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
How I loathe him.

I can't believe how low the bar is. I found myself actually being glad because he didn't declare a national emergency, which is basically crowning yourself dictator.

We are going to have to work to do to make sure we have some real fucking checks and balances for cases like this guy in the future.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I missed it and don't wanna watch, there a good summary of how stupid this was floating around?

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what is Ann Coulter and the Fox News morons spin on all of this. Their opinions seem to be running the country these days so it good to keep an eye on them. I'm just not willing to subject myself to their drivel.

Someone take one for the team and find out?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I like Trump's appeal to black and latinx, we know you go after one kind of brown you coming from them all

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
So nothing happened, no new information was delivered, and the news networks were played.

Oct 27, 2017
No. The rest of the Dems need to speed the fuck up.
No. The dems need to do less talking, not more. Dems problem was never their efficacy with words. It's that they're spineless. When the ball is in their court they can never agree with each other and fail to get shit done. Contrast that with the GOP who are in lockstep with whatever stupid or heinous policies they want to enact.

AOC is an impassioned, intelligent speaker, but she needs to focus on the strength of her words. Less is more. It's a lesson Obama had to learn as well.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Chuck and Nancy need to step up too. Their casual finger wagging and forlorn disapproval has accomplished exactly fuck all.

They do that too much they get kicked and the Dems fall apart as the new up and comers for leadership are conservative Dems. No-one wants Steny Hoyer or Tim Ryan being the new Speaker. I'm more inclined to kick out Schumer.

Pelosi's the best Speaker we have.

Last edited:

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
No. The dems need to do less talking, not more. Dems problem was never their efficacy with words. It's that they're spineless. When the ball is in their court they can never agree with each other and fail to get shit done. Contrast that with the GOP who are in lockstep with whatever stupid or heinous policies they want to enact.

AOC is an impassioned, intelligent speaker, but she needs to focus on the strength of her words. Less is more. It's a lesson Obama had to learn as well.
Ding ding ding.

Think about how fucking Nelson shaped the healthcare bill more than anyone else.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is Ann Coulter and the Fox News morons spin on all of this. Their opinions seem to be running the country these days so it good to keep an eye on them. I'm just not willing to subject myself to their drivel.

Someone take one for the team and find out?
Idk about Ann Coulter, but Fox News is going in on the "crisis" angle to encourage Trump to declare a national emergency. The talking point is that democrats are ignoring the issue and there's actually a huge problem of illegal immigrants committing murder and whatnot.

As a side note, I like to think I'm a pretty nice guy, but these people are making it hard to be empathetic. One guy on Fox News was arguing Trump should declare a national emergency because of the two kids that died on the border. Nevermind the fact that they died in U.S. custody because of neglect on our part. Presumably this guy also thinks these kids would have been better off in Guatemala? It's not clear why he even brought them up - there's no way he thinks it's safer there than in U.S. custody. I don't how these people get on t.v.

Last edited: