• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because of fucking course.

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration moved on Friday to roll back school nutrition standards championed by Michelle Obama, an effort long sought by food manufacturers and some school districts that have chafed at the cost of Mrs. Obama's prescriptions for fresh fruit and vegetables.

The proposed rule by the Agriculture Department, coming on the former first lady's birthday, would give schools more latitude to decide how much fruit to offer during breakfast and what types of vegetables to include in meals. It would also broaden what counts as a snack.

A spokeswoman for the department said that it had not intended to roll out the proposed rule on Mrs. Obama's birthday, although some Democratic aides on Capitol Hill had their doubts. Food companies applauded the proposal, while nutritionists condemned it, predicting that starchy foods like potatoes would replace green vegetables and that fattening foods like hamburgers would be served daily as "snacks."

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
He just wants kids to enjoy the same food that he eats: french fries and hamburgers.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Increasing the likelihood of childhood obesity and other health related illnesses for our American youth to own the libs

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
What fucking reason could anyone have against kids eating healthier?

Republicans complains about people on food stamps buying bad food. Why would they not want kids eating healthier food?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Ketchup is now a serving of vegetables.

#MAGA

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. We really are in the darkest timeline

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I can't be too mad at this. Our kid's school used to raise decent money by having pretzel day every Friday. They'd buy boxes of Philly Soft Pretzels, and sell a pretzel for a dollar. Almost every kid would buy one. Now they are tiny gluten free things that no-one likes. They buy one box, and half is left over at the end of the day.
Also, kids that will eat the fruits and vegetables did so before, the rest just throw them out. Basically raising the cost of a school lunch artificially and for little reason.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I can't be too mad at this. Our kid's school used to raise decent money by having pretzel day every Friday. They'd buy boxes of Philly Soft Pretzels, and sell a pretzel for a dollar. Almost every kid would buy one. Now they are tiny gluten free things that no-one likes. They buy one box, and half is left over at the end of the day.
Also, kids that will eat the fruits and vegetables did so before, the rest just throw them out. Basically raising the cost of a school lunch artificially and for little reason.
I'm having a hard time understanding how your school purchasing snacks separately has anything to do with this policy.

Schools could still hold pizza days and purchase snacks for fundraising. Your school decided not to do so.

This policy ensured that students who relied on public school meals would receive proper nutritions.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time understanding how your school purchasing snacks separately has anything to do with this policy.

Schools could still hold pizza days and purchase snacks for fundraising. Your school decided not to do so.

Interesting. Parents were told it was to comply with the nutritional guidelines. I'll have to investigate further.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

it's too bad the only thing one can sell at a fund raiser is pretzels. Would be much simpler if there were other food options one could sell.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
lol fuck these people.

McDonald's every day
GettyImages_1082818592.0.jpg

Rosner-Fast-Food-Trump.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever the smallest pettiest thing you can think of in a situation, that is what Trump will always do. It's all quite predictable at this point. Every single time. Guy must be hung like a cashew.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm against the reason he is doing this but the end result is perfectly fine.

Schools didn't make lunch better to fit the guidelines they just cut it down to come in under it.

My younger brothers school cut that shit down to like 3 chicken nuggets and 3 tater tots.
How the fuck is a teenage boy supposed to get by on that shit

Oct 25, 2017
it's too bad the only thing one can sell at a fund raiser is pretzels. Would be much simpler if there were other food options one could sell.

What would you recommend that could be bought for $0.30 and sold to kids for $1.00 that they could grab when they get off the bus and eat relatively mess free in homeroom? Honestly curious so I can bring it up as an option next year. Parents literally say "Obama ruined pretzel day" when the topic comes up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to hear any of you all crying about how I don't give a damn about the heart attack epidemic plaguing the Midwest.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand how millions of Americans hear this news and shout "YEAH! THAT'S US WINNING! USAUSAUSA!"

Like, what kind of headspace do you have to be in to think removing nutritional guidelines is somehow good news?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
New essential food groups from Trump:

- KFC
- Wendy's
- Burger King
- Milk (gotta throw them dairy farmers a bone)

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how millions of Americans hear this news and shout "YEAH! THAT'S US WINNING! USAUSAUSA!"

Like, what kind of headspace do you have to be in to think removing nutritional guidelines is somehow good news?
Everything this administration does actually makes perfect sense when you view it through the lens of anti-black racism, specifically racism against Obama. It is sheer white spite; nothing more or less.

America doesn't deserve us.

Oct 25, 2017
Let me know what you find out about this. A few months ago, I also attended a BBQ (with a bake sale as well) at a school to help fundraise musical instruments.

Could be the difference between something sold to the kids, for their consumption at the school during the school day, and an event after hours with parents and stuff being sold to take home.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I remember school in the late 90s early 2000s. You could buy Taco Bell burritos and Dominos pizza by the slice in the cafeteria. We had numerous Pepsi and Mountain Dew machines in the hallway/outside courtyard in high school. Had candy machines, Doritos machines, hell in high school there was even a Good Humor ice cream machine. Looking back it was wild how much unhealthy food there was in our schools:

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
The move is good (the school lunches at my high school are complete trash), but on her birthday? You couldn't have done it any other day?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense, her last is Obama after all. Can't have any of that in this administration.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
What would you recommend that could be bought for $0.30 and sold to kids for $1.00 that they could grab when they get off the bus and eat relatively mess free in homeroom? Honestly curious so I can bring it up as an option next year. Parents literally say "Obama ruined pretzel day" when the topic comes up.

Honestly wish I had some ideas. Googling healthy fundraiser snacks give me nothing but companies that want to host fundraisers....