• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...5482bf5e0f5_story.html?utm_term=.d3ef1166b145

The proposal represents an abrupt reversal of the findings that the government reached under President Obama, when regulators argued that requiring more fuel efficient vehicles would improve public health, combat climate change and save consumers money without compromising safety.

The proposal argues that forcing automakers to reach a fleet-wide average of 51.4 miles per gallon by 2025, as the Obama administration required, would make vehicles more expensive and encourage people to stick to driving older, less-safe cars and trucks.The administration estimates that halting more ambitous fuel efficiency targets would save Americans thousands of dollars on every new vehicle purchased and avoid 1,000 road deaths a year.

Thisisfine.jpg

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
That orange shit stain will be gone soon. Anyway we won't buy your fucking gaz guzzling crappy American cars.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
And he wonders why almost nobody in the EU wants to buy American cars. It's not the tariffs, dumb ass...

Keeng

Nov 1, 2017
This administration can't be any more short sighted. Next they'll announce research funds for cars that run on coal.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Their reasoning doesn't make sense. Not many people want shit mpg in their cars anymore. Also would love to know how they figure car prices will go down as a result.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same administration that argued air in America was too clean, yeah?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Unless automakers want to make a bunch of USA-exclusive cars, this probably won't change much. Other countries still have regulations in place and a new president could easily bring back the 2025 goal. There's also the R&D money they've already invested, along with the fact that no one wants to be the car company that suddenly gets shot MPG.

On the brightside this might let companies produce more low-selling performance vehicles without worrying about fleet emissions.

Oct 25, 2017
Unless automakers want to make a bunch of USA-exclusive cars, this probably won't change much. Other countries still have regulations in place and a new president could easily bring back the 2025 goal. There's also the R&D money they've already invested, along with the fact that no one wants to be the car company that suddenly gets shot MPG.

On the brightside this might let companies produce more low-selling performance vehicles without worrying about fleet emissions.
Aren't a lot of US cars pretty much only designed for the home market? You don't really see those trucks in Europe or Asia...

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
What about caring for the working people who save money in the long term buy getting fuel efficient cars?

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

This is already the case. Cars sales are dipping drastically in the US while SUV and Truck sales are booming.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Americans are buying pickup trucks and SUVs in droves. So while Trump is still an idiot, it's clear the average american isn't very concerned with fuel efficiency.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Do people really miss inefficient vehicles? This is a piece of regulation that will have next to no impact on the industry after it is removed - the market for gas guzzlers does not exist anymore and the cost of fuel isn't going down

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people really miss inefficient vehicles? This is a piece of regulation that will absolutely no impact on the industry.after it is removed - the market for gas guzzlers does not exist anymore
Uh, have you seen american automotive sales recently? It's dominated by the most inefficient vehicles.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Rejoice, V8s for all!

/s
aUmV3Rn.gif

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Once again, under right-wing rule, we are squandering years of progress and improvements in safety and health while paying MORE for it.

Conservatism is a fucking mental disease.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who closely follows the automotive industry, I will say that I always thought those targets were a bit too high in so short a time. It was very unrealistic to get to that fleetwide level without a huge change to primarily hybrid/electric vehicles; which, I agree with the Trump administration does raise the median cost of vehicles and that effect is already noticeable. This has the side effect of creating the current American automotive economy where people are taking longer loans, and many believe there is another economic bubble building in automotive lending like the housing market in 2008.

On the other hand it has pushed automakers to more efficient and cleaner vehicles they wouldn't have done so quickly otherwise, and we've seen some recent surprisingly big breakthroughs in gasoline engine technology (such as the widespread adoption of gasoline direct injection, and most recently, Mazda and Infiniti both developed seriously amazing new technologies in Skyactiv-X and VC-T) I believe as a direct result of this legislation.

I despise the Trump administration, but I think a freeze (as long as it's not a rollback) may be a prudent move.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's interesting to notice how far "both sides" rhetoric flies when the topic is science denial.

Only one party literally denies reality while their moronic base cheers them on.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
My optimistic take on this is that it won't matter too much - US companies will still need models that conform to EU standards and the EU manufacturers will keep doing their thing, and none of them will want to simply pretend the Obama standards are dead forever since a future president could reinstate them. Any tariffs Cheetolini can impose on autos can also be wiped out with the next president so the US manufacturers won't want to be caught with their pants down. Probably still sell shitloads of big giant trucks while they can but with the knowledge it might be a short lived gravy train.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, a lot of this stuff is effectively symbolic, since you can't actually run a business assuming Republicans hold the presidency forever.

You also start to run into state based regulations in very large markets. I imagine a lot of companies would have preferred dealing with how the federal government defined net neutrality rather than how liberal states are going to end up doing so.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I believe most global automakers will simply continue to strive for targets already set, and once again, ignore this administration in order to remain competitive and conform to other standards.
eg, when they initially announced plans to change efficiency standards, people at Nissan and Toyota publicly shrugged.I figure there will be more "whatevers" from the industry as standards continue to improve anyways.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
It would have been interesting if Obama himself had found a cure for cancer. Somehow Trump would have made it possible to abolish that healing method...

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
As someone who closely follows the automotive industry, I will say that I always thought those targets were a bit too high in so short a time. It was very unrealistic to get to that fleetwide level without a huge change to primarily hybrid/electric vehicles; which, I agree with the Trump administration does raise the median cost of vehicles and that effect is already noticeable. This has the side effect of creating the current American automotive economy where people are taking longer loans, and many believe there is another economic bubble building in automotive lending like the housing market in 2008.

On the other hand it has pushed automakers to more efficient and cleaner vehicles they wouldn't have done so quickly otherwise, and we've seen some recent surprisingly big breakthroughs in gasoline engine technology (such as the widespread adoption of gasoline direct injection, and most recently, Mazda and Infiniti both developed seriously amazing new technologies in Skyactiv-X and VC-T) I believe as a direct result of this legislation.

I despise the Trump administration, but I think a freeze (as long as it's not a rollback) may be a prudent move.

The automotive loan bubble is real, I agree.

This does leave the car companies in a difficult spot, both in money invested in meeting the 2025 goals and still having to meet state goals for fuel efficiency.

I wonder where the "1,000" lives a year saved number came from. I'm not snarking, I'm curious as a thousand lives a year is nothing to scoff at. Of course, you'd have to weigh that against deaths caused by air pollution....

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
For all those clutching at their pearls, you do realize that 70% of all U.S. new auto sales are trucks and SUVs, right? Unless and until gasoline is well over $4/gallon even in low tax states, there's not going to be a change in consumer behavior, and there's demonstrably not a great demand for more fuel efficient cars (there's also far less profit for manufacturers).

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
What point is having a car when there's nowhere left to drive it?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Their reasoning doesn't make sense. Not many people want shit mpg in their cars anymore.
When gas prices dropped for the last few years sales of trucks and SUVs increased, because they felt they were able to afford the cost of fuel now (which could never possibly go back up).

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I have an '08 Ford Fusion SEL V6. A lot of new SUVs/crossovers are much more fuel efficient than my little sedan. Hell, the F-150 is just as fuel efficient as my car (18/26 vs. 20/26). Even if I bought a big truck, I wouldn't be worse off fuel economy wise thanks to these requirements. Buying a larger vehicle doesn't necessarily equate to buying a gas guzzler these days. What Trump is doing is once again a regressive tactic purely intended to help boost the profits of big auto companies.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
I live in a red state and I am a dumb fuck who wants a truck that burns more gas and while you're at it please raise gas prices.