• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
but you cant push for impeachment because...

and we still have to make nice with conservative democrats/republicans because...

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It just boggles my mind that ANYONE believes this is a good decision.

2020 can't come soon enough.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is specifically for INTACT families I believe...not that any of this makes any of this better, but its not as monstrous as keeping kids separated from their family.

the headline just makes it sound shockingly horrific, when its only shockingly terrible.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
This will be shot down in court before it takes effect and then go through appeals. Then it's anyones guess if it's upheld or not. But yeah this could be a SCOTUS case this time next year or something. Until then hopefully it's stayed.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
and what will they propose when these "detention centers" become overcrowded hm

If migrants see all these horrid policies and STILL decide to illegally cross the border, I'd be stunned.

That's what conservatives are counting on, making them die in other countries instead of having to kill them theirselves. We all know making the punishments harsher isn't going to stop people from trying to have a better life

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Updated the title to point out the fact that it's specifically the Trump administration, since there are other US bodies fighting against the policy.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
It just boggles my mind that ANYONE believes this is a good decision.
I can kind of wrap my head around the tortured ugliness of a bigot who thinks of others as sub-human and thus thinks any level of cruelty is OK. It's ironically easier because it's free of all nuance and complexity.

I'm more amazed that the centrist algorithm of splitting the difference hasn't yet crashed into a sloppy pile of bits. The Democratic leadership is still trying to lecture liberals that they shouldn't be so radically against our full-blown march to Nazi-style* concentration camps. Maybe that's the glitch -- they can't snap out of their find-the-middle feedback loop. "OK, so all of the Democratic Presidential candidates were arrested and vanished without a trace last night, and we have our first reports of ICE massacring asylum-seekers at the border, but we should find ways to reach across the aisle without resorting to drastic measures that will only alienate Middle America. We have an election to win, after all."

*1930s Nazis, not 1940s. The death camps came later. It all started with the sorts of things we're doing right now.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Every single member of this administration, everyone who excuses it, and anyone who has ever stood in support of it, is a reprehensibly vile piece of fucking shit for whom I hope for nothing but the absolute worst.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
What the administration is doing is actually weaponizing the public outrage over child separation for their own ends. From what I understand there is currently no time limit for how long an adult can be detained but there obviously is for children. So what's been happening is that among families the Parents are being held indefinitely, weeks into months, but since the children can't be held as long they've been released much sooner and separated and sent elsewhere from their families. Which has understandably inspired outrage.

So now the administration can go "well we're doing this so we can legally keep families together just like you want" which is technically true but of course sidesteps that they shouldn't be keeping ANYONE detained this long.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Commentary Surrounding Child Detention
Stop crossing the border illegally then?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf just send them back if you're going to hold them for so long. There's absolutely no reason to keep them locked up for so fucking long.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
If migrants see all these horrid policies and STILL decide to illegally cross the border, I'd be stunned.

I mean that's this administration's end-goal yeah, but the problem is many of these people are fleeing violence and crippling poverty, so it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Staying in their place of origin in many of these cases isn't any better, if not just outright worse, even with all these policies going into place.

It also assumes that the people coming to the US are fully educated about the breadth of what can/will happen once they get to the border; I would imagine only a very small percentage of people are coming with that knowledge.

Nov 9, 2017
Every single member of this administration, everyone who excuses it, and anyone who has ever stood in support of it, is a reprehensibly vile piece of fucking shit for whom I hope for nothing but the absolute worst.
This was already expected from those people and trump supporters. "Moderates" who turn the other way to do nothing cuz "its not as big as a deal as the media portrays it to be" and play devil's advocate on facebook to feel superior are a significant contributors to this mess.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Wtf just send them back if you're going to hold them for so long. There's absolutely no reason to keep them locked up for so fucking long.

They ARE sending them back as fast as they possibly can. They deported about 400,000 just last year but the system is still clogged up. That's why Trump bitches so much about how long the deportation process takes and the needs to remove judges from the equation to make things go faster.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Reading more into this, the proposed regulation, if they even go through with it, will flat out contradict the Flores Agreement and is basically a shoe in to be shot down in a lawsuit immediately. It's going to go down as yet another Administration attempt to rule be Decree that just blows up in their face because they don't know what they're doing.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Indefinitely holding people in concentration camps with no vaccinations and bare minimum in terms of hygiene is a very familiar concept to anyone with even a remote knowledge of 20th century history.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to go down as yet another Administration attempt to rule be Decree that just blows up in their face because they don't know what they're doing.
No, those are always valiant attempts at assailing the liberal Deep State and gosh we could totally tackle these problems if you'd let us suspend civil liberties. Gotta have those demonstrations of liberal oppression now and then, to show the cult what's at stake.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is just too much. The courts had ordered the administration to reunite these families with a deadline over a year ago. They never even attempted to do it, and there is no one willing to hold them accountable. We are getting very close to the point of no return here.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
It's worth the risk for a lot of these folks. It's either stay somewhere extremely dangerous, or make a dangerous trek in hopes of finding safety for your family. Most of them are claiming asylum, which is legal, and this administration doesn't give a fuck because it's full of racist fascists. They're making it harder to cross legally, so the only way to cross is illegally.

This won't be a deterrent, but they will certainly irreparably harm thousands of people so Stephen Miller can get his hog up.