• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Link

The U.S. Department of the Interior, which oversees the National Park Service, announced plans Tuesday to increase entrance fees at 17 parks during their busiest five-month periods as a way to raise new revenue for infrastructure improvements. Under the proposed fee change, beginning next year, entries for cars would jump from $25 to $70 between June 1 and October 31.

"One of the basic ideas from the very beginning was that parks would be accessible to all Americans regardless of income level," said Jim Northrup, who retired in January from his position as superintendent of the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. "When you take an entrance fee at a national park and you increase it from $25 for a seven-day pass for a car to $70, that is a huge increase and is going to be a real deterrent for many people to visit national parks."

TheStrxggler

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Didn't want to see that Supervolcano in Yellowstone up close anyway.

Still, that does really suck.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Laille

Oct 25, 2017
You could raise revenue for infrastructure improvements by not wasting taxpayer money on golf outings every week too, Donny.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Fatboy probably hasn't been to a park in decades.

Too much walking and not enough gold.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is this how they plan to get back at the National Park Service for rebelling against the administration early on? This is such a shame. The national parks in the US are so beautiful and they should be easily accessible for everyone

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Gut environmental protections.
Almost triple national park entrance fees.
???
Profit.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I understand the wanting to improve infrastructure for the parks but this ain't the way to do it.

National Parks cost just as much as amusement park tickets. Smh.

captscience

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually a very legitimate conservation argument to be made for reducing the number of visitors to some our most popular National Parks. Overcrowding has become quite a big problem.

That said, raising fees probably isn't the best way to go about it, and obviously this administrations doesn't give a damn about the environment.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Those parks are going to be real empty. For shame. There's a reason why things like this should have low-priced entry. We can see where this is going too.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Increase price massively
Attendance drops like a stone
Trump: "Look! People don't use our national parks, lets sell them to private companies!"
America's natural heritage is destroyed
Putin: "All according to keikaku..."

less

Oct 25, 2017
Increase price massively
Trump: "Look! People don't use our national parks, lets sell them to private companies!"
America's natural heritage is destroyed
Putin: "All according to keikaku..."

Seems like a reasonable scenario with the Trump admin. Well, Putin probably doesn't give a damn about parks being destroyed.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Raising prices may bring down attendance but there's been a real problem of people ignoring park rules and getting animals as well as themselves hurt or killed these last few years despite constant and repeated warnings. Let's not act as if allowing everyone acces is a good thing either.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess someone showed him how much his golf trips were costing, and hell if he isn't paying for his own golf trips.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Raising prices may bring down attendance but there's been a real problem of people ignoring park rules and getting animals as well as themselves hurt or killed these last few years despite constant and repeated warnings. Let's not act as if allowing everyone acces is a good thing either.
I just kinda suspect this is lower on the list of reasons for the GOP

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Increase price massively
Trump: "Look! People don't use our national parks, lets sell them to start getting at that oil!"

Based on what I understand of recent political feuds over the national parks, this I imagine would apply for a number of them.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trump needs to watch Ken Burns documentary about our park system.

Spoiler: the tile is national parks: america's best idea.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The fat motherfucker continues to be a massive douche. The fact that he keeps surprising me might be an indictment upon myself at this point.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Increase attendance fee to drive down visits, then go "oh look no one goes to our parks" and then say they should be sold off to fossil fuel companies.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand the big parks have been absolutely swamped in the last two years, something about the 100th anniversary last year suddenly made people realize they exist, but such a gigantic increase, even if solely for the peak period is insane, especially given the federal government could raise the funds for infrastructure improvements without even having to make big cuts elsewhere. Something has to be done to alleviate the crowds that have been causing significant damage to the parks, but this is very far from the right solution.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he cut their funding at some point last year? Subsidizing it back on the people again?

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dad loves the national parks and enthusiastically voted for Trump.

Part of me really wants to rub this in his face.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the ??? is to sell off some of the land for industrial purposes. I hope it doesn't come to that, but with Trump you have to prepare for the absolute worst.

Of course. Once they apply the new fee and no one visits, Trump can say no one cares about the national parks, and sell the land to someone that will pay for it.

Increase attendance fee to drive down visits, then go "oh look no one goes to our parks" and then say they should be sold off to fossil fuel companies.

See! It's only logical

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Decrease the attractivity of a public service so they can justify cutting support? Learning from the Tories I see.

Couldn't wrap my head around such a huge increase but this makes a lot of sense.

Who the fuck increases the cost of something three fold unless there's extreme Scarcity or you're up to nefarious shit.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
From a selfish perspective I'm ok with this. I live pretty close to Rocky Mountain National Park and it gets insanely crowded with people littering everywhere so hopefully this helps with that. Plus annual passes (usable at every park) are still $80 (for now anyway) so they become an even better value.

Hopefully this doesn't lead to hurting smaller parks that want *more* visitors, unlike RMNP which has talked about limiting the number of visitors allowed to enter since overcrowding is such a major issue.

Last edited:

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that some people will be upset having to pay for something that should be free, because 'Merica, but I don't see the real issue of going from 25 to 70 to get in.

For most people who visit these majestic parks, it's a planned out vacation that usually involves a lot of travel and other expenses, if an extra $45 is going to deter you, then well you maybe shouldn't be taking vacations.

Hell, if we're looking at a $ per hour versus return on happiness and enjoyment a $70 car pass for a week blows away what it costs an average family of 4 to go see a movie with snacks/drinks in a major metropolitan area.

Ray Wonder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bit more expensive for sure. Wonder how much it would impact the budget for upkeep and the salaries of the people who maintain the parks.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
"When I said immigrants, I meant tourists, too!! MAGA"
-Dolan Trump, 2017.