• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheLinguist

Oct 27, 2017
That's 50-odd pounds! Wow, that's insane and to make it so high during the holidays as well. If the goal is to eliminate visitors to parks, you've succeeded.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
That's 50-odd pounds! Wow, that's insane and to make it so high during the holidays as well. If the goal is to eliminate visitors to parks, you've succeeded.
Again, you and your family can visit ALL National Parks and National Monuments for a year for just 80$, and the visitor numbers have been on an incredible rise over the course of the last ten years or so. If anything, it will slow the growth down a bit for the most popular ones but even that seems unlikely considering the America the Beautiful pass option.

NPS said:
The cost of the annual America the Beautiful- The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, which provides entrance to all federal lands, including parks for a one-year period, would remain $80. Entrance fees are not charged to visitors under 16 years of age or holders of Senior, Military, Access, Volunteer, or Every Kid in a Park (EKIP) passes. The majority of national parks will remain free to enter; only 118 of 417 park sites charge an entrance fee, and the current proposal only raises fees at 17 fee-charging parks.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
3E21269F-9D37-4CBD-A5B7-DBD2EDEB1C0D_cx0_cy7_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Perfect response.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
"Actually, Raising the Entry Fee for Some National Parks Is a Fine Idea" (Slate)

But for years, the park service has faced two dueling problems: too many visitors and not enough money. Which is why the price increase might actually be a halfway decent idea.

Hear me out. Yes, our national parks are America's best idea, and they've fittingly become a favorite vacation destination. Last year, during NPS's centennial celebration, a record-breaking 330 million people visited the parks, up from a previously record-breaking 307 million people in 2015. Although that's fantastic news, the parks' popularity is stretching their capacity. The parks simply can't handle millions of visitors.

(...)

The rising number of visitors adds to the stress of the parks' burgeoning maintenance backlog, which includes roads, bridges, campgrounds, restrooms, and more.

(...)

It's worth noting that only 118 of the 417 NPS-controlled sites charge entrance fees at all, and many of those cost just a few bucks. For instance, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the country's most visited park that sees nearly double the traffic of the second-place Grand Canyon, legally cannot charge for entry.

(...)

And besides, the best deal in the U.S. remains unchanged: $80 for the annual all-access America the Beautiful pass. We're all in need of more quality time on the trails.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be free because of taxes going towards them or anything. Freaking Trump.

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the National Parks in the southwest are... I don't wanna say insufferable but VERY popular from May through September. In Yosemite you will spend lots of time waiting for buses that make Tokyo's subway feel comfortable because the park's budget for those is based on numbers from 10 years ago or something when attendance was about a third of was it is now, if I remember correctly. South Rim of the Grand Canyon can feel similar. Zion, too. In Arches and Bryce Canyon it's often virtually impossible to find a parking spot between 10 am and 4 pm, and you might have to wait up to an hour at the entrance station (although they finally were able to do a lot of work at Arches this year, which should improve things a bit), Joshua Tree and Canyonlands can get pretty crowded, too, at least on the weekends. They all definitely need a lot more money to fix trails, roads, campgrounds, the entire infrastructure.

Yeah it's a shame these places don't get the attention they deserve, but I'm kinda glad I go to lesser known parks to avoid crowds. I can't imagine dealing with what you're talking about.

Half the reason to go for me is the solitude.

But all in all $80 for a year family pass is not bad at all, it's just not gonna make up for the budget cuts so things will still be neglected in places.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
A transparent attempt to drive down attendance, allowing them to sell off public park land, which they're already in the process of of cataloging for the purpose.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Gut environmental protections.
Almost triple national park entrance fees.
???
Profit.

Remove restrictions on all national monument parks for oil..granted.

Trump and his administration and the GOP are destroying nature as we know it. They already removed so many rules and acts just for profit. Trump gave an OK to mine and drill in national parks.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a really good idea and would help curb dumb ass novice hikers from going on a death trip because they're unprepared. Thank you Trump.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
It's really just incredible how Trump will always find a way to make America worse, no matter how deep he has to look to come up with something.

I expect next a tariff that targets the peanut butter used in Reeses.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Charge $70 dollars to visit our national parks, attendance drops, Trump declares they make no profits and closes them to the public and opens them for drilling and redevelopment.

Oct 27, 2017
Just another shitty idea to add to the list.

Canada's so much more forward thinking and progressive when it comes to the way it handles its National Parks. And I can actually take my dogs hiking in the back country up there as long as I'm responsible and treat the environment and other people like any well adjusted human being should do in the first place.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Simple. If people are planning a vacation they will put aside the money to visit these places.
won't they simply just change their plans and go somewhere cheaper? or maybe even reconsider the trip altogether?

it's just going to pull money away from these parks

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any good estimates for how much it would cost to make the necessary improvements to our parks? Trying to get a good scale of the money problem is useful.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I would rather they kept the parks closed more than raise the ticket prices. Like have them open for a season or 6 months and then closed the rest of the time. That way you don't have a lot of foot traffic, you keep the park pristine and you also don't price out those people who can't or won't afford to drop $70 for a ticket. That's Walt Disney prices. National Parks should be accessible to everyone, not just those who can afford it every so often.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Again, you and your family can visit ALL National Parks and National Monuments for a year for just 80$, and the visitor numbers have been on an incredible rise over the course of the last ten years or so. If anything, it will slow the growth down a bit for the most popular ones but even that seems unlikely considering the America the Beautiful pass option.

I don't think a lot of families that would struggle to afford the 80 entrance fee have enough money or vacation time to visit multiple National Parks in one year.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The one thing I've heard from park rangers is that they hate raising prices on the parks for anything, and use their budget as efficiently as possible - I don't see this going well at all.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not privatize it orange turd. There might be some coal buried underneath the parks.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
1) Raise prices.
2) Number of people visiting plummets.
3) Trump claims attendance is down and no one cares about the parks
4) Trump uses #3 as an excuse to open up more parks to forestry/oil/mining industries; "The extra funding generated is necessary to save the parks from closure due to mismanagement and reduced attendance! Sad! But I will save the parks! #MAGA"

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
'What shitty thing can I propose today?'

Anything to make things less enjoyable or shitty for working class / poor people.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta make up the revenue from the decrease in international visitors somehow! Truly disgusting, these National Parks are some of our most treasured lands and this administration would rather mine and exploit them, than to have them accessible to people. National Parks should be non-profit.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of overcrowding at some of the national parks during peak season is a real problem. I don't know if this in particular is the solution, but you'd imagine it'll certainly have some effect. It's something that has to be addressed regardless of the entry fee though.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I've ever been to any national park anywhere in the country, and I'm pretty sure I am eligible for one of the free lifetime Access passes that disabled veterans can get, so it's not like the cost is keeping me away. I'm just not an outdoors-y person. I do have plans to move from the SouthEast to out west, preferably to Colorado, and I probably would want to go to some of the parks out that way, maybe take my family to some.
Tell you what though, a $70 entrance fee would keep me from going to any for pretty much ever, or until the fees came down.

dismal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to say it's ideal that the prices could keep some poorer families away, but the demographics don't really mesh with this idea that this is going to plummet attendance. National Park visitors are overwhelmingly homogeneous: white, educated, middle class or higher. The National Park Service is also woefully underfunded and many of the top parks are crippled by current attendance and their budget. I'm not sure what a better option is. Tax increases would unfairly burden people who can't afford or aren't exposed to these areas to begin with. A lot of the largest NPs are not in areas that you swing by with the family when you have a free afternoon. Glacier is 50 miles from the nearest reasonably sized city, Zion is on the other side of the state from SLC and most of the other Utah destinations. Not many families are skimping to get the budget together to go to these places, and their local parks aren't subject to these fee increases.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a lot of families that would struggle to afford the 80 entrance fee have enough money or vacation time to visit multiple National Parks in one year.
But they will struggle with those extra 40$? Then why not visit outside of peak season when it's cheaper? Or one of the 400 parks that doesn't increase the fee? Or a State Park? Or on one of the roughly 10 free entrance days each year?

I get why people are cynical with everything this administration does, I am, but all the "this is 4D chess to sell off the land" is ridiculous, when you see a) how much the NPS is struggling and b) when the fee increase is only aimed at 17 of the most popular parks during peak season. Parks like Grand Staircase-Escalante are in danger, those 17 are certainly not.

Again, attendance in some parks has tripled over the last ten years or so, while funding has been remained the same even got cut at the same time. Increasing fees alone definitely isn't the perfect solution to the problem, but there is a problem, it's not made up. I'm not even sure why people think this comes directly from Trump, the NPS has been talking about considering all kinds of options for years. They are even implementing / trying out reservations for basic stuff like parking and shuttle usage in Yosemite and Zion because they are so underfunded and overcrowded from May through September.

Last edited: