• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
So as an outsider to all this as a non-American, can this mean the Dems go back and start impeachment proceedings again in light of this or is just a case now of waiting until November?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If he goes back on everything he's ever said, he could work his way up to a truth-telling rate of 50%!

So as an outsider to all this as a non-American, can this mean the Dems go back and start impeachment proceedings again in light of this or is just a case now of waiting until November?
We will do nothing. We do not hold our officials accountable in any meaningful sense, for the most part it's merely a song and dance.

OP
OP
Landy828

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Didn't lie under oath, pretty much free to do whatever he wants due to no-one being willing to make him pay for it. He's protected by the DOJ and the Senate.

I guess one could try, but I doubt they'll do anything again.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's just not fair. He should be held to a higher standard. Fuck all of our processes through impeachment. Someone should've hit the emergency eject button a long time ago.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

They won't/can't. Not because of a technicality, but because the political capital to impeach just isn't there. They'd be roasted in the elections for doing it as it could be painted very poorly.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
We need firmer guardrails against executive power. If the Trump administration has proven anything, it's that the whole checks and balances thing only works if everyone agrees to play along with it.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Of course he did. I'm actually surprised he didn't admit it before he was acquitted, because it wouldn't have changed the results one bit.

He's a hemorrhoid that the US can't be rid of.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
What is the political calculus of trying another impeachment closer to the election? Is that something that would work for or against the Democrats at this point? Especially if it meant dredging up witnesses, or even using statements like this that are admissions of guilt? Even if everyone knows Senate will acquit, again, does it make sense to have this kind of circus going on just as people are getting ready to vote?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
What is the political calculus of trying another impeachment closer to the election? Is that something that would work for or against the Democrats at this point? Especially if it meant dredging up witnesses, or even using statements like this that are admissions of guilt? Even if everyone knows Senate will acquit, again, does it make sense to have this kind of circus going on just as people are getting ready to vote?

I think that would be really risky. His approval is up from before impeachment. And the senate would do nothing, again. They won't try it.

I feel we are helpless against his lawlessness this year.

Dec 31, 2017
We've been known this shit. He was guilty as fuck according to all the evidence. Republican senators sans Romney didn't care. They won't care now. They already moved onto the "it's not impeachable" phase.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
There was probably a sizable majority in the Senate of people who were convinced Trump did it in the first place. Just no Republican outside of Romney wanted to go for an impeachment. Or a censure. Or any kind of accountability please god let it blow over and don't come for my sweet cushiony seat.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
This cant go unpunushed can it?
Or is he free because of Double Jeopardy here?
R: "Its fine to send him, as long as there was no quid pro quo. If there was a quid pro quo, that would be a real problem"
Everyone: "there was a quid pro quo"
R: "it's fine to have a quid pro quo. Our governments do that all the time."

I don't really think there's precedent on if the president can be impeached for the same thing twice, but also it doesn't matter.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
approval goes UP when a President is proven guilty of crimes..?

what kind of a country is America exactly? what do you teach your children?

That laws must be ignored if the racist in charge is in danger of losing power, because laws would get in the way of his hurting minorities.

Basically at least 30% of America has admitted they like watching bullies go on the rampage, and they share vicariously in the victory when bullies get away with it.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
The man claims he can get away with murder. After the Senate reaffirmed his beliefs, it's not surprising to see.
Also - most people won't notice this at all (but we knew that).

Goya

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Democrats should try removing Trump democratically, you know by beating him in an election.

Oct 27, 2017
What incentive does Trump have not to say crazy/dumb/terrible shit or lie anymore? He's past impeachment and his base revere him as a messiah

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Watching the firings, the DoJ being ordered to do his personal bidding, and this kinda shit is pretty interesting.

The not so slow slide into pseudo dictatorship.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear he's just testing Senator loyalty on Sunday shows at this point.

"Let's see what demeaning shit I can make Lindsay do this week."

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly from a complete layman's POV seems like the best thing you guys can do is buckle up for November and try and avoid reelection.