• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to remind everyone that Google officially removed their "don't be evil" company mantra a year or two ago.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Good thing I have premium, I don't want to see trump's shitty face everytime I open YT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not against political ads per say, just think they should be a more neutral and respectable than letting their service be bought out for the day. They've taken a side then.
They should be neutral as in not showing either party imo. But they certainly have taken a side, they've shown us time and again which side.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
they can show trump ads all they want as long as there's no preferential treatment against bernie/whoever and whatever $$$ is contingent on that

i don't "like" it but just the way it is

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If there's ever a reason to install an addblocker, this is surely it.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the homepage for youtube in years. Still, pretty shit of them to take the money for this.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they can show trump ads all they want as long as there's no preferential treatment against bernie/whoever and whatever $$$ is contingent on that

i don't "like" it but just the way it is
People can and are probably thinking of ways to game the recommendation algorithms for the weeks and days leading up to the election. This is probably part of most political organizations' digital strategy with respect to video based platforms like FB and YT.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Looking forward to a books/news articles written (assuming we live that long) with them giving interviews like, "We thought we were doing the right thing." trying to re-write history because of how villianous they will look in those books. At when the big banks fuck with our way of life they aren't trying to sell us on how they are a force for good.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
People can and are probably thinking of ways to game the recommendation algorithms for the weeks and days leading up to the election. This is probably part of most political organizations' digital strategy with respect to video based platforms like FB and YT.

it was pioneered in 2008 and perfected in 2012. (2016 is another can of worms, russia trolls and all that)

i can't really be up in arms when "the other guy" does it tbh

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this is a waste of goddamn money and Trump still gets blown the fuck out.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I know Trump barely knows what YouTube is, but how does he manage to keep people on the payroll who do know what YouTube is? Isn't his basic approach to anything tech "You're a nerd! That's loser stuff! I don't work with losers! Go find me some jocks to stuff this nerd in the locker, nerd!"

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This. But profits matter more.
I'm not sure Google has ever disclosed if YouTube is profitable. Rumor was it was break even or approaching profitability. So not sure that's the argument you want to go with.

I know Trump barely knows what YouTube is, but how does he manage to keep people on the payroll who do know what YouTube is? Isn't his basic approach to anything tech "You're a nerd! That's loser stuff! I don't work with losers! Go find me some jocks to stuff this nerd in the locker, nerd!"
What? No.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
estimates for the space range from hundreds of thousands of dollars to more than $1 million a day

That's ridiculously low for something they compare to a Super Bowl ad, on a website that three quarters of adult Americans use, for a whole day. 30-second spots during this year's Super Bowl cost 5.6 million dollars. For a 30-sec spot during the bathroom break, versus 24 hours for something everyone visiting the homepage will see, and something that will help decide our next president. Google is being bought for the rich people equivalent of peanuts.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020

Di-M7vHXcAIf8py.jpg

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It would be better for leftists big and small to flood YouTube with anti-Trump videos and seize the algorithms on those days instead.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
At least they took time from funding climate change deniers and tuning the alt right propaganda engine to sell some YouTube ad space

Google is garbage

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sucks for Trump, I don't see ads on youtube.

Seriously tho, these massive sites shouldn't be covered in disgusting ads for the fake news king. But hey, we live in a late-stage capitalist nightmare where the only thing that matters is money.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
If I see a Trump ad on YouTube on election day, I hope it would just inspire me to vote against the fucker if I hated him. At best it's a remainder to get out the vote, at worst it's more disinformation. Remember, low turnout = Republican victories usually.

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
There is a Bernie Bro working at YouTube that will have access to the homepage around Election Day.

Good luck, comrade.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg should throw up anti trump ads for the democratic nominee every single day until election day. He can afford it.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm already tired of seeing political ads on TV and it's only February. It's going to be a long year.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Completely unacceptable.

Facebook and Google have shown their allegiance and it's completely unacceptable. Major platforms like this shouldn't be used or exploited this way. It's irresponsible and dangerous.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I don't regret a single moment ad blocking Youtube, Twitch, or any other of these shitty companies sites. Fuck them.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
1 million dollars to plaster ads on Youtube's front page for a whole day during election day is chump change and a steal. Youtube is one of the most viewed websites on the Internet and most of the populace does not use ad blockers. It is obvious Google wants to Trump to win and is only charging him a token price so they don't seem biased.