• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-airports-revolutionary-war-855742/

Trump stumbled, failing to read the teleprompter accurately, he said that American troops in the Revolutionary War "took over airports," not realizing, of course, that airports did not exist in the 1700s.

he went off the rails and seemingly mixed up the Revolutionary War with the War of 1812. "Our Army manned the air, it rammed (?) the ramparts, it took over airports, it did everything it had to do

https://twitter.com/i/status/1146922261963792384

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Reposting my "analysis" from the politics OT -

To decipher the sentence, you need to remember that Trump always doubles down when he misspeaks rather than give any impression he made an error or even just moving past it.

The teleprompter likely said "The Army manned the ramparts at Fort McHenry". He misread ramparts as "airports", realised he screwed up, then tried to make it seem like he didn't by leaning into it and adding "it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do" before carrying on.

I haven't watched the video, but when he adds the ad libs his voice changes a bit higher and grander and he looks away from the prompter out to the crowd, so I assume he does this in the "it took over the airports,..." insertion, before returning to looking at the prompter, reading the script, and using his more regular drone.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I love how partly due to him always trying to make everything a big deal and everyone focus on him... we do focus on him and his dumb ass fuck ups and this man who is obsessed with avoiding embarrassment is constantly embarrassed due to his own dumb ass schemes.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He also thinks the busing issue that hounds Joe Biden is just all about school buses as a means to get kids to school in general. lol

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1*iBEnv-ym8eijbZ7w6PUu1g.gif

tumblr_np7sq9lepq1u8qr43o1_500.gif

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If you asked me 10 years ago if we'd ever have a dumber leader of America than Bush I'd of laughed.

Bush looks like a fucking genius compared to this asshole.

Oct 28, 2017
As an outsider looking in, got to agree with this. I think Trump has done immeasurable damage to how the post of President, the highest office in the land is perceived.

I think the next President, even a Republican, could fix this if they wish. As much as people love to say it, no single man can take down the entire country and its legacy in just a few years. Trump is proof of this. It will blow over eventually. American cultural influence will ensure that.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
So that's how the Glorious Revolution of 1789 went, when America saved the English king George IV of July from his prison in a French airport.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Chris Lu @ChrisLu44

In addition to saying there were airports during the Revolutionary War, Trump claimed that the Fort McHenry events leading to the Star Spangled Banner occurred during the same war. It was the War of 1812

But sure, keep telling us how much you love America https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/04/independence-day-donald-trump-trips-up-revolutionary-war-history/1638531001/ …

This is a president too stupid to know what he's saying, a White House too incompetent to do basic factchecking, or someone with a serious reading problem.

11:27 PM - Jul 4, 2019

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
and as if by magic 40% of America will now have always believed that there were airports in the 1700

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Well America is the greatest country in the world and you'd built airports before planes were invented obviously.

Fray

Oct 28, 2017
VanIsle, BC
Funny how I look back at the total clusterfuck that was the Bush administration and think how cute and quaint it all was. In dark times like these the world needs more Bushisms.
You were right President Jr we absolutely "misunderestimated" you, we certainly did.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how I look back at the total clusterfuck that was the Bush administration and think how cute and quaint it all was. In dark times like these the world needs more Bushisms.
You were right President Jr we absolutely "misunderestimated" you, we certainly did.
That's because of the media rehabilitation. George Bush Jr caused just as much damage as Trump has. At least he hasn't started a war that killed a million people yet.

OP
OP
Kodama4

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I bet if any other world leader insinuated there were airports in the 1700s they would be ridiculed from here to the moon but Mr Arrogance gets away with it.

It's barely mentioned by any news agency

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
"Ramparts? The fuck are those? Airports! Now that makes sense!"

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
Thinking about it I do remember learning something about the airports in America during the revolution while doing history at school, Trump really knows his history.

We are still bitter to this day here in the UK that we lost those airports.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I think the next President, even a Republican, could fix this if they wish. As much as people love to say it, no single man can take down the entire country and its legacy in just a few years. Trump is proof of this. It will blow over eventually. American cultural influence will ensure that.

Trump himself isn't even the worst we'll see this century, its the precedents he's set for the competent person who comes after him. Trump is Sulla to a Caesar who destroys the Republic.

Oct 27, 2017

I dunno. At least for me, not being American there was always this sense (stoked by your cultural exports no doubt) that the presidency required some level of gravitas, education, diplomacy; the fact you guys have trump sitting there, notionally in charge of you all just pulls back the curtain on what it takes to gain the oval office and the kind of people who actually have a chance. You don't need a brain, you don't need to be good at business, or trade or diplomacy, or history, or basic facts. You don't need gravitas or intelligence, or to be a good speaker, or even to be a fundamentally decent person.

Never thought I'd see the the day the potus conducts himself via poorly spelled Twitter rants and stumbles on his own nations basic history.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
it's not even the fact that he mistakenly read he teleprompter that gets me, its the doubling down. a person who never admits mistakes and would rather take a wrong turn than admit mistake and course correct should not be leading a country.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
If George Washington hadn't beaten England to the Atomic Bomb and F-22 Raptor, everyone in America could be speaking English right now.