• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's a greater than zero chance we see Repubs try something to keep him in office past two terms if he gets re-elected

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
200.gif

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
this is way too stupid. who can keep dealing with this as if its normal..?

i dont understand why other world leaders dont just do an intervention. take Donald away into some quiet little room at the next UN assembly or whatever and just explain to him that we as a whole, as humanity cant, anymore.

Oct 31, 2017
"I might even be dictator for life (haha just kidding)."

How is he still your president America?!

Because a large number of Americans are more than okay with authoritarianism/fascism, and then many who aren't, don't really have many realistic means of opposing the movement, without throwing their lives into disorder/chaos/high-risk situations.

And those who were voted in power to try and act as a check on the GOP consolidating their power are also part of the culture that enabled this to begin with. This has made them into people who seek to avoid confrontation/challenge and are much more concerned with perception/appearances rather than taking firm action. They much rather desire to "kick the can down the road", and let things be "someone else's problem", rather than doing the things they were elected into office to do.

Obviously, these are simplifications and the reality is far more nuanced and complex than this. There are so many factors and forces at play that allow for the authoritarian movements around the globe to thrive, and cause the liberal/humanitarian movements to wane & be weak opposition.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
We all knew it but here it is: He finally starts openly pondering to remain president for as long as possible.

Like who's gonna stop him? Congress, the secret service, checks & balances? Don't make me laugh!

Nobody has to stop him. On January 20th, 2021 (or 2025) at noon someone will get sworn in. That person is president. The old president does not relinquish power, he just stops being president.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Any democratic country should impeach their governing authorities if they "joke" about extend their period.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Why is he so mad? at the point that he is insulting people.. I dont understand.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
So for how long has he been joking about staying on past a hypothetical 8 years as President?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That "joke" is there to get his supporters barking about more terms so he can say "People have been saying I should serve 3, maybe even 4 terms. Who's to say they're wrong?"

Dangerous times we live in.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So he wants to be president until he's 80 plus years? The healtiest president and ageless

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Geniuses can understand how fractions work. Stable people can remember major recent events in their life within a year of accuracy. Great looking people are not obese 74 year olds who sport combovers and spray tans.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's just so exhausting. The President of the United States just told everyone he's good looking and a stable genius. Can you even remember the time where this statement alone was enough to be seriously concerned? Now it's not even remotely newsworthy anymore.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
22nd Amendment: "1: No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."

Like, I know the impulse now is to just assume that Trump can do anything he wants, but no court in the land is going to deny what is written right there in the 22nd Amendment. If you want to be paranoid and say "well, he could get around the 'elected' part by just abolishing elections," well....if we are at the point where he is trying and succeeding in getting rid of elections altogether then we are already too far gone for any of the rest of it to matter.

My opinion - he is just talking shit like an idiot as always, despite my belief that he would love nothing better than to be a dictator in his heart of hearts.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
22nd Amendment: "1: No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."

Like, I know the impulse now is to just assume that Trump can do anything he wants, but no court in the land is going to deny what is written right there in the 22nd Amendment. If you want to be paranoid and say "well, he could get around the 'elected' part by just abolishing elections," well....if we are at the point where he is trying and succeeding in getting rid of elections altogether then we are already too far gone for any of the rest of it to matter.

My opinion - he is just talking shit like an idiot as always, despite my belief that he would love nothing better than to be a dictator in his heart of hearts.
Surely it can't possibly get worse. I mean, concentration camps ? Sure. But a third term just can't happen here.