• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
The constitution doesn't say people can freely buy guns though. It says a well organized militia can.

It doesn't really matter what the second amendment says, the right to bear arms is mentioned, and thus is harder to ban, or enact laws regarding gun ownership then it is to ban something that isn't a garunteed right to own.

6 Americans die from vape in one year = ban

480,000 Americans die from cigarettes in one year = ???

TIL: people don't either prohibition, or their own protests against keeping drugs illegal.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It's absurd that this is happening so quickly and specifically not including tobacco flavoured products. I mean come on.
Vaping is (by current understanding) less dangerous than cigarettes, but more dangerous than nothing. Fun flavors help attract nonsmokers to pick up a bad habit. By keeping the tobacco around, it's essentially grandfathering in those who are already addicted: my dad, who's smoked for longer than I've been alive, can still get his fix in a less harmful manner, but my nephew won't think "hey, that smells nice, give me a hit."

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Yes ban regulated liquids and create an even bigger illegal market for bootleg stuff, which is most probably the main culprit for the deaths in the first place.

That'll work out well.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
How about instead you legalize marijuana, regulate it, and destroy the black market in the process which is likely where these issues are coming from?

Also - its hilarious they act so quickly on this to protect big tobacco, but people are getting shot on the regular and we cant do shit about that.

GTFO

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
They'll just create the next big thing to bypass the laws. People start hating ciggs, create vape! Vape now banned.. lets brainstorm what kids will love next. Cycle continues when $$ is involved

No real need. They've already got a replacement: good old cigarettes. Kids liked 'em just fine before ecigs came along. They'll go right back, as will adults. Problem solved.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
It doesn't really matter what the second amendment says, the right to bear arms is mentioned, and thus is harder to ban, or enact laws regarding gun ownership then it is to ban something that isn't a garunteed right to own.

While it's true it's harder, since when has not just outright doing whatever he wants been something Trump shies away from?

Democrats barely have the will to ban guns outright, why would Trump? Also, I'm not sure you want to go down the road of advocating that Trump just do whatever he wants...

"Advocating"

Huh? On that last part. I'm not advocating anything. I'm stating he says and does whatever he wants. Not that he should...he's a pile of trash that needs to be dumped ASAP.

That's putting words in people's mouths (posts). WTH?

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
While it's true it's harder, since when has not just outright doing whatever he wants been something Trump shies away from?

Democrats barely have the will to ban guns outright, why would Trump? Also, I'm not sure you want to go down the road of advocating that Trump just do whatever he wants...

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow.

Banning vape flavors will at least be consistent with the already banned flavors for regular cigarettes

Yeah, I remember when the flavors from major American tobacco companies were mysteriously exempted from that. It's almost like it was only intended to squeeze out the tobacco lobby's competitors.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah seriously. Like I don't think anyone will be surprised if it turns out, hey, vaping isn't goodfor you, but come on we know cigarettes and guns are absolutely disgusting products with horrible industries built on killing people. But vaping's an easy target and not paying the republicans' paychecks.

Why stop at guns? Processed and fast foods? Vehicles? If this administration and country is so worried about what people are putting into their lungs why are we doing away with environmental protections? Violent movies and videogames are surely training our children how to be psychopathic killers. Sports are dangerous also, especially for developing children. I see hikers die all of the time in the local news. What are we doing about hiking? And don't even get me started on small planes.

Opioids? Nah, those are cool.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who would have thought that pumping hot gases into your lungs could be bad for your lungs!

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what this has to do with e cigs tbh. E cigs and vapes are pretty popular among smokers as the "safe" alternative.

These instances of death are largely attributed to black market THC carts filled with vitamin E acetate, causing lipid pneumonia, leading to death.

Legalizing MJ nationwide allows it to be federally regulated, meaning what people are smoking is "healthier" than what people get from Joe Drug Dealer down the street.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it is banned expect the number of deaths to increase dramatically. I'm pretty certain bootleg/black market vape juices are going to do more damage than FDA approved juices. Who knows, though?

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what this has to do with e cigs tbh. E cigs and vapes are pretty popular among smokers as the "safe" alternative.
Because the majority of cases involved cbd carts which used vitamin e acetate to make it thick like the real stuff, because they're knocking off knockoffs and don't have a way to get everything they need to make it right.

We think they were bought from shady dealers.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal

From The Verge:

"Not only is it a problem overall, but really specifically with respect for children," Trump told reporters. He continued, "We may very well have to do something very, very strong about it."
It's unclear whether the FDA has undertaken rule-making to effect such a ban, but some kind of regulatory action appears likely. A pool report described the effort by saying, "They're trying to ban all non-tobacco flavored vaping products from the market." The FDA did not immediately respond for a request for clarification.

Looks like they want a ban on anything that is not tobacco flavored....which kinda ruins the product. Should be interesting to see the pushback from the tobacco industry.
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

The recent "outbreak' of lung illnesses that the media keeps attributing to 'vaping' appears, almost certainly, to be the product of cutting agents or 'thickeners' containing Vitamin E acetate, being used to dilute the contents of THC carts. So, this kind of has everything to do with marijuana legalization and strict regulation of ingredients being used in THC carts.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I understand. Ban all BUT Tobacco flavored products? Because why? Tobacco doesn't kill?

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I understand. Ban all BUT Tobacco flavored products? Because why? Tobacco doesn't kill?
It's because flavored juices appeal to kids/teens. That's at least the narrative being pushed. JUUL had to stop selling flavored juices in stores because of the teens buying all the mango carts.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Because the 6 deaths were from THC carts using vitamin e. This is what we have garnered from the 14 vape threads we had this past week.

So Trump doing this move is classic idiot Trump attacking the wrong fucking problem. He's a goddamn moron.

Edit: Answered ad infinitum above

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just isolate what's causing the infection, get rid of that, and regulate the rest.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I actually think this is a good idea... It's hilarious how guns are a "god given right" but e cigs aren't though.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
So many people in here drive by posting without realizing what they are even talking about. Just like trump, many are misinformed on this recent outbreak of deaths attributed to vaping. PLEASE do the research!

This isnt from JUUL carts or the Vape juice you fill your rig up with (unless they are cut with Vitamin E, which they most likely are not). This is from black market THC carts that are cutting their juice with Vitamin E to make it thicker.

For the record, one of the big identifiers of your THC cart being fake is how runny the liquid is. Hence why people are cutting their black market juice with Vitamin E.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many people in here drive by posting without realizing what they are even talking about.

This isnt from JUUL carts or the Vape juice you fill your rig up with. This is from black market THC carts.
The problem is that Trump is attacking JULL and vape juice. He is going after the wrong culprit.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the most reasonable motive behind this is for Trump to fill coffers with donation funds from the tobacco industry, but it's wild how Era's position on addictive substances being marketed to children is to become outraged that someone would want to ban them (a lot of posts aren't outraged at Trump's reason for banning them, but at the thought of banning them regardless of reason and setting up straw men arguments for why they shouldn't be banned). If you want to vape, then suck on some tobacco flavored vape juice; it'll be available. You're addicted, it won't matter.

I'd be in favor of a flavor ban prior to the current contamination news.