• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
President Donald Trump has declined a request from Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley to lower American flags in honor of the fatal shooting of five employees of The Capital newspaper last week.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed, you know? … Is there a cutoff for tragedy?" Buckley said Monday afternoon. "This was an attack on the press. It was an attack on freedom of speech. It's just as important as any other tragedy."

Gov. Larry Hogan ordered Maryland state flags to be lowered to half-staff from Friday through sunset on Monday.

Through Maryland's congressional delegation, Buckley put in a request to the White House over the weekend to lower the American flags.

Trump has ordered flags lowered for previous mass shootings, including in May after the deaths of 10 people at Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Texas, and the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., in February that left 17 dead.

While Buckley had previously thought he might lower the city's own flags regardless of the president's decision, the mayor said his wife talked him out of that.

"At this point in time, it would start to polarize people and I don't want to make people angry," he said.

The White House did not immediately respond Monday to a request for comment.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...ac-cn-flag-request-denied-20180702-story.html

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Considering that Trump considers journalists the enemy, of course he's not gonna lower the flag for enemy combatants.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
We've normalized mass shootings. This is just how things are now.

I don't think it's because Trump feels that shootings have normalized. This is just a passive aggressive message, bolstered by supreme executive power, to the press about how he feels about them. The next tragic mass shooting the White House will be appropriately subdued and lower the flags. But since this happened to his enemies, the refusal sends one, clear cut message: Mainstream Media got killed? Good.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Can we keep the flag all the way up when Trump finally suffers a heart attack? Hell, I might put extra flags in my yard just to celebrate that day.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Does five deaths even count as a mass shooting by American standards? Isn't that just a Thursday for you folks?

What's the tipping point that makes a killing worthy of a flag lowering?

Oct 28, 2017
I hope when this fool dies we don't allow him a state burial. Just dump whatever gold plated monstrosity of a coffin hes had built into a hole in the ground somewhere.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Did that dude just blame his wife for being a coward?
No. He gave his wife credit for keeping the story about remembering our fallen countrymen and women. And not making this about Trump being a shithead.

Sometimes not taking the bait is the bravest thing you can do.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
So respecting a bigoted religious figure (Billy Graham) is fine, but memorializing five journalists killed in a terror attack is too far?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trump has already said that journalists are the enemy of the american people

no shit hes not gonna lower the flag for them

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
What's his excuse? This is disrespectful and despicable. disgusting.

Fuck this man.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing at half mast was his erection at the news that journalists died. Sick fuck.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Why would he lower flag for those he considers "enemy of the people" * ?

*Disclaimer: Fox News and all its subsidiaries are exempted from said assertions upon the conditions of they always remain loyal to Trump, perform regular figurative fellatio and rimjobs.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Fucking pathetic, important to note that this shooting at the Gazette happened only a few days after Trump said that journalists are the enemy of the people. What a bitch.

TheHolyTurnip

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I understand that wishing death upon a person is a ban worthy offence, so instead I hope Trump receives numerous used catheters into a swollen urethra while sitting in hot coals and having his nostrils cauterized by a back alley physician in Bangladesh. And I hope he has to claim bankruptcy after paying for the hot coals nostril cauterization catheter therapy.

Worst small p president ever.

Oct 26, 2017
What a piece of shit. I hope he lives a long life to see how history eviscerates him as the worst president in United States history.

I hope when this fool dies we don't allow him a state burial. Just dump whatever gold plated monstrosity of a coffin hes had built into a hole in the ground somewhere.
This made me laugh picturing a group of immigrants carrying a gold coffin to a shallow, muddy river and dumping it. Lid pops off, his arm and head bob out. They turn around, give a quick look, "fuck it" then just keep walking.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. He gave his wife credit for keeping the story about remembering our fallen countrymen and women. And not making this about Trump being a shithead.

Sometimes not taking the bait is the bravest thing you can do.
Thanks, I misread that, a very sobering choice in the face of unpredictable inmaturity.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
The constant antagonization of the media is among the scariest things the Trump administration does.

Family

Banned
Feb 25, 2018
This guy was super alt right. Got mad at the press for attacking Trump. Killed people who worked for the press due to an anti press ideology and a pro trump ideology.

How is this not terrorism?