• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not even trying anymore, if he ever was.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Trump somehow always manages to top himself in his stupidity.

Nah, that's hyperbole. Oh wait.

The parents of a British teenager fatally injured in an accident involving the wife of a U.S. envoy said Thursday that President Donald Trump offered them a check when they visited the White House last month.

Dunn's parents, Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, met with Trump in the White House in October. The visit ended with Trump telling the Dunns that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin was "standing by ready to write a check," family spokesman Radd Seiger told PA Media.
Trump also sprang on the Dunns that Sacoolas was waiting in a nearby room, and he encouraged the parents to meet with her. They angrily refused — and turned down the check, said Seiger.

The Dunn family was told by an official at the White House that Sacoolas will not return to Britain.

The British foreign secretary said last month that the government believed diplomatic immunity "clearly ended" for Sacoolas when she left the country following the accident.
Sacoolas's lawyer has issued a statement saying her client is "devastated by this tragic accident. No loss compares to the death of a child and Anne extends her deepest sympathy to Harry Dunn's family."

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So there's a couple things going on

First, no American President is going to let a family member of an ambassador lose diplomatic immunity for something like this. It's sad but it just wouldn't happen. So Trump isn't doing anything different than any other President would in this regard.

Second, they would not be issuing public statements about it or offering to buy off the family. Like, wtf. How stupid and callous can you be?

Lastly, if this did happen, there would be a new ambassador to the UK. They wouldn't be sent back to the country where it happened! This is just insane. I'm surprised the UK hasn't made her persona non grata and kept her out of the country. I'm shocked that Johnson isn't getting pressure to do that.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, how the hell did it take the ambulance nearly an hour to reach Dunn? This whole situation is disgusting. RIP.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
The visit ended with Trump telling the Dunns that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin was "standing by ready to write a check," family spokesman Radd Seiger told PA Media.
I can 100% believe Trump saying "hey, i got a guy in the next room, he's waiting on me right now. He's a great guy. Steve Mcnuchin. The Secretary of the Treasury. You'd think that would mean that he gets coffee, but he does more than that. He can write a check. You can cash it. Today. Anywhere in the world would take it. It's signed by the Secretary of the Treasury. That's big stuff."

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I can 100% believe Trump saying "hey, i got a guy in the next room, he's waiting on me right now. He's a great guy. Steve Mcnuchin. The Secretary of the Treasury. You'd think that would mean that he gets coffee, but he does more than that. He can write a check. You can cash it. Today. Anywhere in the world would take it. It's signed by the Secretary of the Treasury. That's big stuff."

Makes me wonder if he would actually sign anything or print his name like he did for our currency.

Not that I believe there would be a literal check given to pay off a family for killing their son.

elseanio

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

It was actually the woman who killed their son who was in the next room. The parents didn't know until they were offered to meet with her..

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
First, no American President is going to let a family member of an ambassador lose diplomatic immunity for something like this. It's sad but it just wouldn't happen. So Trump isn't doing anything different than any other President would in this regard.
Diplomatic immunity is supposed to protect you from trumped up charges, not running people over in the street and then leaving the country because you're too inhumane to face the consequences of your actions.

I'm not convinced that every president would act this way.

Oct 31, 2017
Do you guys think I'd look cute in this?

1498038703_shocked-trump-one-piece-swimsuit.jpg

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Full diplomatic immunity is one of the most ridiculous things there is. Takes the whole rich & powerfuls being untouchable to a whole new level.

Happened this (or last) year in Germany too, some saudi prince or whatever kills a cyclist, shows his diplomat ID and is free to go.

Disgusting world.

Oct 30, 2017
First, no American President is going to let a family member of an ambassador [...]
Lastly, if this did happen, there would be a new ambassador to the UK. They wouldn't be sent back to the country where it happened!

It wasn't the ambassador's wife; Sacaloos is the wife of a diplomat - apparently an NSA operative. So not really anyone major in diplomatic ties, just a US Goverment official working in the UK. That's the crux of this really - they're not that important, but this is starting to really burn bridges and cause issues for the actual Ambassador.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
UK should put out an international warrant so she can be extradited if she ever leaves USA.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So there's a couple things going on

Second, they would not be issuing public statements about it or offering to buy off the family. Like, wtf. How stupid and callous can you be?

Lastly, if this did happen, there would be a new ambassador to the UK. They wouldn't be sent back to the country where it happened! This is just insane. I'm surprised the UK hasn't made her persona non grata and kept her out of the country. I'm shocked that Johnson isn't getting pressure to do that.

It's not the ambassador's wife.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Diplomatic immunity is supposed to protect you from trumped up charges, not running people over in the street and then leaving the country because you're too inhumane to face the consequences of your actions.

I'm not convinced that every president would act this way.
Well you don't have to be but try to find a time that the US has let a government staffer be charged for crimes overseas. It almost never happens.
It wasn't the ambassador's wife; Sacaloos is the wife of a diplomat - apparently an NSA operative. So not really anyone major in diplomatic ties, just a US Goverment official working in the UK. That's the crux of this really - they're not that important, but this is starting to really burn bridges and cause issues for the actual Ambassador.
It's not the ambassador's wife.
Good catch! Thank you two for the heads up

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Sooner Trump just keels over from natural causes the better. He must be the most finely honed example of pure arrogance and stupidity the human race has ever created.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
UPDATE: She has now been charged.

Anne Sacoolas, the wife of a US diplomat, has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving in the case of Harry Dunn, the British teenager who was killed in August.

The UK's Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said in a statement Friday that it has now started extradition proceedings.
The UK's interior office will now consider the request and decide "whether to formally issue this through US diplomatic channels," added the statement.

"Following the death of Harry Dunn in Northamptonshire, the Crown Prosecution Service has today authorized Northamptonshire Police to charge Anne Sacoolas with causing death by dangerous driving," Chief Crown Prosecutor Janine Smith said.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There is no chance the US will extradite anyone, even such blatant criminals, to what will soon be a hopeless mutt begging for table scraps cos we had to get brexit dun.

Terrible that the family will never get justice.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Keep it up with more bad PR, Trump. Then your dumbass will be surprised as to why the majority of sane people have all voted against you next November.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
There is no chance the US will extradite anyone, even such blatant criminals, to what will soon be a hopeless mutt begging for table scraps cos we had to get brexit dun.

Terrible that the family will never get justice.
There was fuck all chance that she would ever be extradited, and it has fuck all to do with Brexit.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Do Americans have no concept of manslaughter? Just cause it's an accident doesn't mean she gets off free with no punishment. What a fucking disgusting joke this is.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
*Imagining alternate reality where a diplomat from a Muslim country (that's not Saudi Arabaia) or a South American country kills an American in an accident*
Or just imagine living in the US, where they would be calling the family of the American an 'angel family' for having had a loved one killed in a car accident by an immigrant, even if the immigrant hasn't been found at fault yet.

They'd be put on stage at a press conference. Just like we saw last year.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Manslaughter is 100% a thing here. Don't extrapolate Trump to the rest of us, thanks.
Why is her lawyer actually suggesting that because it's an accident she shouldn't be punished? It's insane.

"This was an accident, and a criminal prosecution with a potential penalty of 14 years' imprisonment is simply not a proportionate response."

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Why is her lawyer actually suggesting that because it's an accident she shouldn't be punished? It's insane.

"This was an accident, and a criminal prosecution with a potential penalty of 14 years' imprisonment is simply not a proportionate response."
Because he believes it doesn't meet the standards of manslaughter? Not every traffic fatality equals manslaughter. And trying to prove that is kind of his job if he is claiming his client is innocent.

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA

We don't disagree with you, it is insane but there are 327 million people in the US and a third of those people are downright brainwashed idiots. Please don't lump us in with those cultists.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Because he believes it doesn't meet the standards of manslaughter? Not every traffic fatality equals manslaughter. And trying to prove that is kind of his job if he is claiming his client is innocent.
Death through careless driving then, whatever you want to call it. She's not innocent of anything, is Harry not dead because of her actions? She should come back and face the punishment for the crime.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death through careless driving then, whatever you want to call it. She's not innocent of anything, is Harry not dead because of her actions? She should come back and face the punishment for the crime.
Nobody here disagrees that she should, but there ARE things that are just accidents, and as her lawyer it is their job to try to prove that it was one. It's literally the least shitty part of the whole thing.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Nobody here disagrees that she should, but there ARE things that are just accidents, and as her lawyer it is their job to try to prove that it was one.
If they're so sure it was just an accident, what are they hiding in America for?

Also driving on the wrong side of the road isn't an excusable accident.

Oct 26, 2017
What would the average death by dangerous driving/manslaughter charge carry in the States? I'd imagine 14 years would be a small sentence comparatively. Although she is white.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So he is claiming her causing the accident wasn't the result of her driving carelessly. For instance, the lawyer could blame faulty design of the road guiding people to the wrong side. Are you that surprised by lawyers trying to get their clients off as smooth as possible?

Oct 25, 2017
What would the average death by dangerous driving/manslaughter charge carry in the States? I'd imagine 14 years would be a small sentence comparatively. Although she is white.

like 2-5 years. Also it is very rare to get a vehicular homicide charge in the states, usually needing clear evidence of gross/criminal negligence.

Oct 26, 2017
At least she'll live knowing that she killed someone. It isn't the justice that she deserves but at least it carries a life sentence.