• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bloody standard junction you'll find anywhere across the country.
And I'm sure the lawyer will point out anything that is wrong, like a faded line, a half covered traffic sign, ... It is why nobody likes lawyers, it is because they try to find any gap to get their client off.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty surprising tbh. Wouldn't driving on the wrong side of the road count as gross negligence? A vehicle (especially an SUV) is a dangerous weapon and should be treated as such in cases like this.
Probably? nobody here is trying to litigate the case, we're just saying it's ridiculous to expect the lawyer to not try to do it.

It is very literally the lawyer's job to attempt to prove her innocence. And while it leads to shit like this, it also is very important for the right to a fair trial that they do so for everyone.
She also drove for 400 metres on the wrong side of the road. I'm sure road markings had a lot to do with it.
Again, nobody here is defending her, so...not sure why you're trying to litigate it to us.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
And I'm sure the lawyer will point out anything that is wrong, like a faded line, a half covered traffic sign, ... It is why nobody likes lawyers, it is because they try to find any gap to get their client off.
She also drove for 400 metres on the wrong side of the road. I'm sure road markings had a lot to do with it.

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty surprising tbh. Wouldn't driving on the wrong side of the road count as gross negligence? A vehicle (especially an SUV) is a dangerous weapon and should be treated as such in cases like this.

It's usually reserved for things like excessive speeding (like wreckless driving speed), dui, etc. usually things that are criminal charges in their own right.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would the average death by dangerous driving/manslaughter charge carry in the States? I'd imagine 14 years would be a small sentence comparatively. Although she is white.

You wouldn't be criminally charged for something like this in the US unless you were drunk or some other aggravating factor. You would be liable for damages and cited for the traffic offenses

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty surprising tbh. Wouldn't driving on the wrong side of the road count as gross negligence?

It would again depend on the reason. Like, did you get a technical problem which made you drift, did you misjudge an attempt to catch up, did you try to avoid an obstacle, were you racing, were you drunk, ... The underlying reason will play a huge role.

Almost like they are doing their job I know.
Indeed. Still doesn't change that people usually don't like lawyers.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
It is very literally the lawyer's job to attempt to prove her innocence. And while it leads to shit like this, it also is very important for the right to a fair trial that they do so for everyone.
In a court of law. The idea of her lawyer saying she shouldn't face these charges is him advocating for her to circumvent the justice process, isn't it? Isn't that the opposite of what a lawyer should be doing?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In a court of law. The idea of her lawyer saying she shouldn't face these charges is him advocating for her to circumvent the justice process, isn't it? Isn't that the opposite of what a lawyer should be doing?
No? Her lawyer advocating for her is what CREATES the justice process. The entire point is to prove if she's guilty or not. You do not want a world where lawyers are not there to defend you when you're accused of something.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
No? Her lawyer advocating for her is what CREATES the justice process. The entire point is to prove if she's guilty or not. You do not want a world where lawyers are not there to defend you when you're accused of something.
I'm not sure I follow. Her lawyer's job is to advocate for her, to prove whether she's guilty or not, but absolutely not in court? Just to news outlets, like he's doing? While saying that she should hide from these formal charges? Am I going crazy or did I not make my initial point well?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. Her lawyer's job is to advocate for her, to prove whether she's guilty or not, but absolutely not in court? Just to news outlets, like he's doing? While saying that she should hide from these formal charges? Am I going crazy or did I not make my initial point well?
Her lawyer's job is to prove she's not guilty. not 'whether she's guilty or not'

The prosecutor's job is to prove her guilty.

It's the jury's job to determine who makes the better argument.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The justice process absolutely starts before a trial. For instance, to convince the prosecutor with a plea bargain or that a trial isn't worth it.

He can be completely unhinged now that he's been impeached. The worst that could happen to him is over.
This statement - made long before the impeachment - doesn't negatively impact his popularity anyway. His base likes him defending Americans against foreign governments.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
prosecutors have a large amount of discretion whether a case even goes to trial. a defense lawyer's job absolutely covers trying to get charges dropped or not filed in the first place. it's bizarre af for folks to think the lawyer is doing something weird or unethical by saying his client shouldn't be criminally charged.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that seems to not understand why it's VERY important that everyone have a lawyer that sides with them, go watch the star trek DS9 episode Tribunal. Look at the Cardassian justice system, and understand that that is what happens when you remove this one very key piece of the puzzle. It removes all pretense of a fair trial, without it you basically just devolve into 'whoever is prosecuted is guilty' - this woman absolutely may be guilty (I certainly think so), but it doesn't mean it shouldn't have to be proven or that she should be denied rights that I would never want denied to myself.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
prosecutors have a large amount of discretion whether a case even goes to trial. a defense lawyer's job absolutely covers trying to get charges dropped or not filed in the first place. it's bizarre af for folks to think the lawyer is doing something weird or unethical by saying his client shouldn't be criminally charged.
I think I get it. The part that's weirding me out reading about this case is how I think usually in this situation the prosecution has a lot more relative power whereas here they have absolutely none.

Oct 25, 2017

Traffic deaths for some reason really bring out some people's ignorance of the practicalities of the law. Saw the same thing with the Caitlin Jenner case a couple years ago.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
attach29768_20191009_igkzu.gif

Damn...this one gets me everytime. It really is the greatest GIF ever.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The justice process absolutely starts before a trial. For instance, to convince the prosecutor with a plea bargain or that a trial isn't worth it.

This statement - made long before the impeachment - doesn't negatively impact his popularity anyway. His base likes him defending Americans against foreign governments.

Except Russia's.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you kill someone because you were driving on the wrong side of the word the you'd probably be charged with negligence homicide.

negligence is when someone should have foreseen the danger. unknowingly going down the wrong side of the road is stupidity, not negligence. (in the US or at least most states)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
negligence is when someone should have foreseen the danger. unknowingly going down the wrong side of the road is stupidity, not negligence. (in the US or at least most states)

mid you're driving abroad on the wrong side of the road you have extra liability to ensure you're not doing the most dangerous possible driving maneuver and that could be easily presented as highly negligent.

A bus driver forgetting to apply a safety brake is negligent.

negligence is often involuntary and includes lots of examples of forgetfulness as the inception point for the accident and negligence.

it's not by definition an active term. It can absolutely be passive in origin.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's usually reserved for things like excessive speeding (like wreckless driving speed), dui, etc. usually things that are criminal charges in their own right.

Even then the bar for prosecution, outside of dui, is really high.

I have a coworker who's mother in law was killed by a driver who was doing 45 over the speed limit down a city street. The DA did not prosecute.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
What is even the point of protecting her from facing justice?

Its scoring points with no one. This is pointless spite.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is even the point of protecting her from facing justice?

Its scoring points with no one. This is pointless spite.

They don't want to compromise the principle of diplomatic immunity.

But it is shit. I've said this before but I use that road a bit and this really gets to me.

The saving grace is that if she had just faced up to it she would have received a relatively short sentence, most likely. But now she'll live with this shadow the rest of her life. Good.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a mentality that spans both political parties in the USA.

The fact that we use "accident" as the descriptor for vehicular homicide.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
They don't want to compromise the principle of diplomatic immunity.

But it is shit. I've said this before but I use that road a bit and this really gets to me.

The saving grace is that if she had just faced up to it she would have received a relatively short sentence, most likely. But now she'll live with this shadow the rest of her life. Good.

I assume it was that windy section right outside the Croughton base leading to the M40 junction, I know there;'s been a few crashes there

He's right that it happens, and when it happens you face the legal system, you don't disappear abroad after lying to police

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume it was that windy section right outside the Croughton base leading to the M40 junction, I know there;'s been a few crashes there

He's right that it happens, and when it happens you face the legal system, you don't disappear abroad after lying to police

No, this is the country road off the A43.

A big part of the problem is that they help ship all their own cars over. Same issue when I was working near RAF Alconbury. So you end up with people whose only experience of driving is straight lines and 90 degree turns being put onto our roads with this over-familiarity of their own car and without being on the correct side of the car, which is a big fucking hint at where you need to drive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
Kinda wish in that case, we can kick out the US Ambassadors from the UK if America wants to play this sort of game.
Frankly Johnson is too fucking spineless to upset Trump, who he will need to get a hopelessly lopsided trade deal to satisfy his master's narcissism while in the process of destroying the UK.
These politicians are so self serving.
Literally the only upside is that this bitch will have a scarlet letter on her the rest of her life for killing someone.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey, yet another one...

Just revoke their licences or their car registration transfer or whatever.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Not an arrest warrant and basically means fuck all. Except to say here is an asshole

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Harry Dunn crash: Suspect Anne Sacoolas 'wanted internationally'

US national Anne Sacoolas is suspected of causing his death by dangerous driving

"The suspect in the crash which killed Harry Dunn is "wanted internationally" after an Interpol notice."

Didn't see the point of creating a new thread so updated this one

I wonder what would have happened if she stayed at the scene...showed geniune remorse and went through the court process.

Even though the US is Huge enough to not feel jailed, I bet she is dumb and spoiled enough to eventually try to travel again.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
My heart always goes out to this poor family every time a new development comes up. Listening to his mum on the BBC this morning, she's such a strong and we'll spoken lady who seems completely void of the kind of anger you'd expect in the situation. I hope she gets her justice one day.

I wonder what would have happened if she stayed at the scene...showed geniune remorse and went through the court process.

Listening to all the legal experts that have been questioned in the over half year since this happened, she probably would have seen a suspended sentence if found guilty. At worst a very short term in a minimum prison.
But now she would probably be fucked if was ever arrested, so she'll never leave the US and given her assumed ex CIA status and ability to live a comfortable life, she probably doesn't care about being stuck in the US for life... though what does she say to the kids in the future when they ask why they never get to go foreign vacations?

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Doesn't this mean they can be arrested if they travel internationally?
There's a RedBull heir who did this in Thailand. Dragged a cop's body for a block. The followed the leaking brake fluid trail to his house. He seems to bounce around internationally just fine, despite the Interpol warrant out for him. And he's got no diplomatic ties. So... no. Rich people don't play by the rules you and I play by.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
There's a RedBull heir who did this in Thailand. Dragged a cop's body for a block. The followed the leaking brake fluid trail to his house. He seems to bounce around internationally just fine, despite the Interpol warrant out for him. And he's got no diplomatic ties. So... no. Rich people don't play by the rules you and I play by.

yup. Off the top of my head Interpol requires local cooperation and I don't see any country outside of the UK (And maybe even them considering they could apply more pressure) seeing it worth the bother in the future to pick a fight with the US.

Sucks.