• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not his money so probably loves the idea.

Surprised they actually offered to buy it before, thought they would just take over.

Oct 27, 2017
The government probably should have some kind of plan going on behind closed doors to deal with the inevitable climate change refugee crisis.

But maybe start by doing something with Alaska first.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I think he just wants to be able to brag about being the President who acquired a new landmass for the US.

I'd be like his own little Louisiana Purchase, but fucking braindead stupid as hell.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
You know what?

I'm onboard.

Hopefully these negotiations require all his attention and take (checks calendar) 19 months or so

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate Trump but would be all for this! A grand North American Union featuring the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Greenland, plus anyone else who qualifies and wants to join (Belize, Bahamas, Jamaica, you're all welcome) is a dream of mine.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Not an awful idea assuming the price is right. That ice sheet (well, what's left of it that hasn't melted yet) is going to be very, very valuable in the next decades.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
this is exactly the kind of stupid thing i was hoping the trump presidency would primarily consist of, actually would support it tbh. good distraction for him,

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Iceland is the good one Greenland is all ice
Mirite

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Greenland was all ice and Iceland was the green one

"Greenland is expected to be one of the world's next great mining frontiers as global warming starts to uncover precious metals from the frozen surroundings. Substantial volumes of minerals are now within reach of geological land mapping technologies, according to research conducted by GlobalData, a natural resources business intelligence provider "

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Obviously, Jared caught a rerun of The Golden Girls on TV and agreed that buying Greenland would result in peace in the middle east.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How did an island covered mostly by ice and snow manage to be coined "Greenland" of all things anyway?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Probably thinks that if the US purchases greenland under him, that they would name it Trump Land or something like that.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How did an island covered mostly by ice and snow manage to be coined "Greenland" of all things anyway?

The current names come from the Vikings. Norse custom was to name a thing as they saw it. For instance, when he saw wild grapes (blackberries, probably) growing on the shore, Erik the Red's son, Leif Eríksson, named a portion of Canada "Vinland."

Ice core and mollusk shell data suggests that from A.D. 800 to 1300, southern Greenland was much warmer than it is today. This means that when the Vikings first arrived, the Greenland name would make sense. But by the 14th century, maximum summer temperatures in Greenland had dropped. Lower temperatures meant fewer crops and more sea ice, forcing the local Norse population to abandon their colonies.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
All this time he's calling climate change a hoax, he's just trying to melt all that pesky ice so he can buy up some new real estate.
Yeah, this is some real Lex Luthor shit.

superman-1978-12.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feels like he wants it because he wants to leave his mark. I imagine his stupid wall will either get torn down or forgotten eventually, but being responsible for adding a new state and having that in the history books seems like the type of thing that would stroke his ego.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like he wants it because he wants to leave his mark. I imagine his stupid wall will either get torn down or forgotten eventually, but being responsible for adding a new state and having that in the history books seems like the type of thing that would stroke his ego.

In addition, as a way of going about it, it's one that most likely readily makes sense to him and can be marketed being in his area of 'expertise'. Because he's a real estate guy, y'see? He knows about buying land. Nobody knows more about buying land than him. So he knows the land and it's good land but he's gonna get it cheap because he knows land.

...okay, putting aside my brief attempt at his affectations, in addition to the likelihood he would believe it's something he 'knows', it's something with apparent precedent. He'll think there can be a Greenland Purchase just like there was the Louisiana Purchase and the Alaska Purchase. That they merely happened will be enough to make him think that somehow it can happen again, nevermind changes in land valuation, the priority of self-determination, and so forth, since the 19th goddamn century.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm for buying Greenland. Americans need a place to move to once climate change devastates the country.

Let's rename the land to Numenor or Valyria.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Land-grabbing in the colonial mode is dead, except in the heads of people like Trump and some/most Brexiteers. The idea that he should just buy Greenland is plausible because "money can buy things" and he probably understands enough US history to know we bought French Louisiana and Texas.

It's just a stupid enough idea for someone like Trump to have. Most heads of states don't go around offering to buy territories because they're not idiots who think they're living in the 18th century, but Trump's mind actually lives in the 18th century so of course he'd have this idea.