• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That the CPD ruined any chance of justice being done by trying to frame him? I knew that already

There isnt any evidence supporting this. All the CPD has is a "confession" by two immigrants that they wont release the tapes for (because it's the cops threatening them with ICE until they agreed to lie)

Did you know the brothers are American citizens, born in Chicago?

Stop posting stupid trash.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Oh I know there is history of it before in Chicago. I am not saying that. I am just talking about this case in particular. I hadn't seen any of that reported anywhere regarding this case and the two brothers unless I missed something?

Also what does "sea lion" mean?
I think the cops are just mad that the one time they did something by the books there....the guy gets off because the state attorney likes to give people they know are guilty get out of jail free cards.

Mod Post - On speculation and conspiracies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Please remember that this is a convoluted situation with no immediately clear explanation. Please approach this topic with tact and respect. Stick to the information available and do not make irresponsible conjecture.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
What is this proving for you?

The brothers were taken to the hotel after their release, when police found out news organizations were at the men's residence, according to one investigative report.

The hotel rooms were part of an effort to avoid the media last month as detectives investigated Smollett's report that he was assaulted in January by a pair of men in downtown Chicago, the reports said.

The heavily redacted reports blacked out the names of Abimbola Osundairo and Olabinjo Osundairo, but the context makes it clear that the brothers were put up from Feb. 15 to Feb. 21 at the Chicago South Loop Hotel near the city's McCormick Place convention center. Police paid for the hotel and the security. "Assistance for food and incidentals were also provided," one report said.
Police met with the men at the hotel, stopped at restaurants to get meals for them and drove the pair and their attorney to court, taking them into the courthouse through a back entrance to avoid the media, according to the reports.

On Tuesday, Schmidt said in a statement that the two "were fully prepared to testify in any criminal proceeding" in the Smollett case.
In an interview with AP earlier this month, she said the brothers regretted their involvement.
"It started by them having a relationship with Mr. Smollett. Mr. Smollett being in a position of power over them — him being this celebrity person who could pull strings for them and help them in their career," Schmidt said.
"They were thinking, 'I'm going to help my friend. He's asking for this,'" she said.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this proving for you?

The brothers were taken to the hotel after their release, when police found out news organizations were at the men's residence, according to one investigative report.

The hotel rooms were part of an effort to avoid the media last month as detectives investigated Smollett's report that he was assaulted in January by a pair of men in downtown Chicago, the reports said.

The heavily redacted reports blacked out the names of Abimbola Osundairo and Olabinjo Osundairo, but the context makes it clear that the brothers were put up from Feb. 15 to Feb. 21 at the Chicago South Loop Hotel near the city's McCormick Place convention center. Police paid for the hotel and the security. "Assistance for food and incidentals were also provided," one report said.
Police met with the men at the hotel, stopped at restaurants to get meals for them and drove the pair and their attorney to court, taking them into the courthouse through a back entrance to avoid the media, according to the reports.

On Tuesday, Schmidt said in a statement that the two "were fully prepared to testify in any criminal proceeding" in the Smollett case.
In an interview with AP earlier this month, she said the brothers regretted their involvement.
"It started by them having a relationship with Mr. Smollett. Mr. Smollett being in a position of power over them — him being this celebrity person who could pull strings for them and help them in their career," Schmidt said.
"They were thinking, 'I'm going to help my friend. He's asking for this,'" she said.

Police had their key witness under lock and key for 7 days. witnesses that by their account also committed a crime. The witnesses walk away with no charges? Why not plea down like everybody else?

Again there's precedent for CPD doing this. It's not conspiratorial, but the legitimacy of the brothers are at this point very suspect

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
This feels gross and incredibly transparent. Notoriously racist criminal in chief struggles to condemn white supremacy but takes personal interest in Smollet case for "justice" concerns.

I don't even buy Jussie's story, but we all know that if the shoe were on the other foot Trump wouldn't lift a damn finger.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Police had their key witness under lock and key for 7 days. witnesses that by their account also committed a crime. The witnesses walk away with no charges? Why not plea down like everybody else?

Again there's precedent for CPD doing this. It's not conspiratorial, but the legitimacy of the brothers are at this point very suspect

So the CPD had the brothers attack Smollet why? Furthermore, the brothers are the "attackers" as confirmed by Smollet himself.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

But what motive would they have for attacking Jussie w/ a fake hate crime hoax?

It makes no sense.

Also it's been noted that if it was a hoax they didn't commit any crimes. Faking an attack isn't a crime, reporting it as a crime is.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the CPD had the brothers attack Smollet why? Furthermore, the brothers are the "attackers" as confirmed by Smollet himself.

What you said is conspiratorial(and not what I said).

The point here is that we shouldn't take CPD's cooperation with the brothers at face value, given their well documented history

But what motive would they have for attacking Jussie w/ a fake hate crime hoax?

It makes no sense.

Also it's been noted that if it was a hoax they didn't commit any crimes. Faking an attack isn't a crime, reporting it as a crime is.

Idk, I'm not saying that CPD faked it or forced them to fake it. I'm saying that, CPD locking up their key witnesses in a hotel for seven days deserves scrutiny.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Idk, I'm not saying that CPD faked it or forced them to fake it. I'm saying that, CPD locking up their key witnesses in a hotel for seven days deserves scrutiny.

At the time weren't they trying to hide the fact they knew/suspected it was a "hoax"? They didn't want Jussie knowing they knew, to try to catch him in lies/etc.

I just can't fathom what you are even suggesting here; their explanation makes sense.. keeping them away from the media because it effects their investigation.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the time weren't they trying to hide the fact they knew/suspected it was a "hoax"? They didn't want Jussie knowing they knew, to try to catch him in lies/etc.

I just can't fathom what you are even suggesting here; their explanation makes sense.. keeping them away from the media because it effects their investigation.

You mean the same investigation that was leakier than a broken faucet?

They can't have it both ways.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You mean the same investigation that was leakier than a broken faucet?

They can't have it both ways.

Yes you can because the leaks could have come from people who weren't in charge of the investigation. They were not helpful at all to the CPD, all they did was alert Jussie to what they knew and embaress them because they conflicted with their official statements.

The CPD are trash, most urban police departments are in this country... but things still need to "make sense" for me to think something they did was on purpose or had some currupt motive. Their official story makes the most sense in this case; not that I'll buy it outright but if you can't suggest an alternative motive I have no reason to outright disbelieve them.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can because the leaks could have come from people who weren't in charge of the investigation. They were not helpful at all to the CPD, all they did was alert Jussie to what they knew and embaress them because they conflicted with their official statements.

I find that hard to believe considering we saw photos of the police's search of the brothers apartment early on into the investigation.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This entire story is a mess. Just because Trump is a terrible fascist racist doesn't mean the truth doesn't need to come out in some fashion. I loved Jussie on Empire. But there's no way he wasn't involved. Even though the CPD are fucked, I don't think it just that he gets to claim complete and utter innocence, and I don't think its fair to claim that everyone who wants him to admit guilt is just a racist. Fuck Trump for co-opting this. I still want Jussie to just admit what he did and then he can go away.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I find that hard to believe considering we saw photos of the police's search of the brothers apartment early on into the investigation.
What purpose do you think the leaks served the CPD?

And if they did come "from the top"; why would that exclude them from wanting to hide their key witnesses from the media? If they did leak the search photos, that still doesn't mean they would want the brothers talking to the media.

If there's a narrative here I'm missing then so be it; but it just doesn't add up to me. The simplest answer is this was a hoax perpetrated by Jussie.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there is anyone who still thinks Trump isn't racist.

Trump is uniquely the last person in this country who should go into Witchhunt mode especially because I have a feeling what Smollet did isn't in the realm of federal jurisdiction.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump_Central_Park_jogger_ad.jpg
Ain't nothing new for him. Just him revealing his racist hand

Oct 25, 2017
Jussie Smollett is still under federal investigation for the letter he received with the threats and the powder. So saying he's completely innocent is a little premature in my opinion.

I'm not sure how much jurisdiction the feds are going to have in a state case though. But the people in Cook County who vote definitely will have their say if/when Kim Foxx runs again.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Unless we're arguing there was no hoax why would they do that? Just pursuing the case ruins him.

Because the police are bad people. The Chicago police are extra bad people.

And FTR, I'm not arguing conclusively that it's not a hoax. I think that is the police reaction to this would have been the same regardless of that fact. Schrodinger's Hoax

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The leaks serve by ruining the reputation of a popular activist even though there's not a strong stated desire to charge and prosecute.
He was charged with numerous crimes though; they had a very strong desire to charge him.. the CPD continued to be pissed he wasn't prosecuted.

None of that stuff neded to be leaked in the early days of the investigation either to ruin any of Jussie's reputation. Hell it didn't need to be leaked at all because the evidence would eventually end up in the public's hands anyways. Police investigations aren't CIA ops, it's all up for grabs by FOIA requests.

And I still don't understand what you think hiding them from the media for 7 days would have accomplished; they didn't kill the brothers.. if they are conspiring with them well.. now they are free to talk to the media.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I wonder if there is anyone who still thinks Trump isn't racist.

Trump is uniquely the last person in this country who should go into Witchhunt mode especially because I have a feeling what Smollet did isn't in the realm of federal jurisdiction.
Of course it is, Jussie claims he is innocent, which means a hate crime happened, which means the FBI gets involved. (Unless that's different in Chicago? I believe that's what they do in NY)

The whole thing with Kim Foxx recusing herself is because she talked to his family who actually believed this actually happened and didn't want the CPD to handle it, Foxx was asked to get the FBI involved. Once we found out this was all hoax, she stepped aside.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
So, basically Trump has finally put down the dog whistle in favor of a megaphone.
Bannon was interviewed a few days ago (why is he still being given oxygen?) and called this. It's one if the reasons why I've never been overly concerned with Trump's ability to shift the country towards fascism, he really doesn't have the subtly to pull it off. He's a terrible loser but even a worse "winner" as he completely over plays any instance of good will he gets by thinking it's a free pass to do and say all manner of vile things that he is generally forced to keep to himself by his handlers.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
The whole thing with Kim Foxx recusing herself is because she talked to his family who actually believed this actually happened and didn't want the CPD to handle it, Foxx was asked to get the FBI involved. Once we found out this was all hoax, she stepped aside.
Yeah about that
Foxx had said she recused herself from the case last month after revealing she had contact with Smollett's representatives early on in the investigation. She declined to provide details at the time, but on Wednesday, her office quibbled over the terminology, saying Foxx did not formally recuse herself "in a legal sense."

Why this is important:
Illinois law allows for a state's attorney to "file a petition to recuse himself or herself from a cause or proceeding for any other reason he or she deems appropriate." If the petition is granted, the law calls for the judge to appoint a special prosecutor either through the attorney general's office, another county prosecutor's office or a private attorney.

empanada

Oct 28, 2017
The prosecutors believe he did it. They just don't feel like going after him in court...Here's what Foxx and Magats said about this:
"In this instance, Mr. Smollett forfeited his $10,000 bond. Mr. Smollett completed community service, and how he chooses to spin why he did those things — what I can tell you is that most people who come through the criminal justice system don't give up $10,000 of their hard earned money, or engage in volunteer services connected with an alleged offense, without viewing that as a way of being held accountable," she said.

The prosecutor who dropped the 16 disorderly conduct charges, Joe Magats, flat out said he believes the actor lied to the police. "I do not believe [Jussie] is innocent," he told CBS Chicago.
He added to ABC Chicago, "This was not an exoneration. To say that he was exonerated by us or anyone is not true. We believe he did what he was charged with doing."

Similar to Foxx's rationale, Magats explained that his office's resources are simply best used to combat violent crime. "I don't think that Mr. Smollett is a driver of violence or a violent individual," he said.
Source - https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...opped-charges-doubts-innocence-212831106.html

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yea put me in the category of "I thought they already were" lol
Let 'em fight, tbh. Scum vs. scum and criminal vs. criminal. It's whatevs to me.