• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Trump Grants Full Pardon To Convict Conrad Black (Guilty of: Obstruction of Justice, Fraud, Writing for/Creating the National Post)

Caz

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
U.S. President Donald Trump has signed a full pardon for former media mogul Conrad Black, who was convicted in 2007 of fraud and obstruction of justice.

Black, 74, spent almost 3½ years in a Florida prison before being released and deported back to Canada. He had originally been sentenced to 78 months in jail, but had his sentence reduced after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down several of his initial convictions.

A statement from the White House on Wednesday said Black has made "tremendous contributions to business, as well as to political and historical thought."
A reminder that Black wrote a column defending Faith Goldy (a white supremacist), among other heinous pieces I am not going to link to for obvious reasons.
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/conrad-black-pardon-trump-1.5137985

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Birds of a feather.

The Canadian-born British citizen was once known for his extravagant lifestyle as he ran an international newspaper empire that included the Chicago Sun-Times and the Jerusalem Post. But he ended up serving three and a half years in prison after being convicted in 2007 of siphoning off millions of dollars from the sale of newspapers owned by the company he controlled.

Since leaving jail Black, who is also a British peer, has been on a quest to clear his name. Last year he published a book entitled Donald J Trump: A President Like No Other, writing that Trump “is not, in fact, a racist, sexist, warmonger, hothead, promoter of violence, or a foreign or domestic economic warrior”. He suggested the president had been misunderstood.

Trump called Black personally to deliver the news that he was to receive a full presidential pardon, dubbing him “the great Lord Black”.
A White House spokesperson said the decision had been made because of Black’s “tremendous contributions to business, as well as to political and historical thought”, as well as the work he had done supporting fellow prisoners while inside.
The only thing black that Trump likes.

Jan 11, 2018
I feel like if I were president the last thing I’d do is pardon everybody convicted of marijuana possession and smaller counts stemming from it if it was their only crime. That’s what...50,000? 100,000?

Guessing I probably wouldn’t get away with that though lol