• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/tr...-and-gop-from-2018-election-bloodbath-report/

Faced with the likelihood of a "blue tsunami" in the 2018 midterm elections, President Donald Trump is holding out hope that terrorists will attack the country, reported the Washington Post on Wednesday.

"In private conversations," said the Post, "Trump has told advisers that he doesn't think the 2018 election has to be as bad as others are predicting. He has referenced the 2002 midterms, when George W. Bush and Republicans fared better after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, these people said."

Matthew Yglesias at Vox.com wrote, "(T)his is a frightening line of thought for an incumbent president and his team to be entertaining."

"(I)f the president and his top staff are not so concerned with democracy but purely political power, that's a terrifying proposition," said Yglesias.

If Trump believes that a terror attack will be a boon to his political fortunes, asked Vox, "How hard is he really working to keep the country safe?"

It's almost appropriate that Trump is the president that would simultaneously plan to appeal to his bases worst impulses, whilst also wishing potential death upon them in order to make it happen.

One hell of a ride, you Americans are on at the moment.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ya know some of his actions start to make sense if you consider that he's trying to get a terrorist attack.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of puts that North Korea stuff into perspective. It's starting to sound like he wanted them to start shit, just to justify his insanity.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want something done right, Do it yourself

dont-stress-the-sweat.gif

Don't even joke about this, we might accidentally will it into existence

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Haven't laughed that hard about something in a while. That's sad. Something has to be done about them

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a pretty big stretch from what he's saying. I'd easily believe he's just assuming things won't be so bad because nothing bad ever happens to Trump, the people love him, he's the greatest, etc. But going from "things won't necessarily be that bad, remember 2002?" to "Trump wants another 9/11" is ludicrous.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to go full conspiracy here, but I'm legit getting worried he'll stage an attack with real casualties and blame ISIS. ISIS would totally accept the blame too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Poorly stated, but is he wrong? The fear stoked by making people worry that changing leadership during a time of war was a central theme to W getting re-elected. It was a huge premise of his argument.

Here's hoping Trump doesn't pull a Frank Underwood and manufacture a crisis and solution to look good.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
That shit worked in 2002 because no one wanted to blame Bush for the attack as no attack of that magnitude had ever been successful on US soil. And Bush was likeable.

So that's 0 for 2 to make that work in Trump's favor.

Spheyr

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a pretty big stretch from what he's saying. I'd easily believe he's just assuming things won't be so bad because nothing bad ever happens to Trump, the people love him, he's the greatest, etc. But going from "things won't necessarily be that bad, remember 2002?" to "Trump wants another 9/11" is ludicrous.

Basically.

2018 isn't going to turn the country blue, Trump is going to win re-election in 2020, and things are going to be great.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hasn't been enough terrorist attacks just past year? Oh wait, i forgot white terrorism is no terrorism.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
"In private conversations," said the Post, "Trump has told advisers that he doesn't think the 2018 election has to be as bad as others are predicting. He has referenced the 2002 midterms, when George W. Bush and Republicans fared better after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, these people said."

Did he bring up 9/11 or was that context added by others? He's dumb enough to not understand the context of that year's election. I can picture one of his staffers trying to reassure his ego by just bringing up republican's midterm numbers that year and conflating it with Bush's low approval rating six years later.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's not clear just where the Sept. 11 reference came from. Did Trump himself refer to 9/11, or did either the authors of this article or their sources add it for context to clarify why the 2002 midterms went the way they did?

It seems
that Trump himself merely expressed optimism about the 2018 midterms and referred to the 2002 midterms. But I feel if he did mention then yeah, it's time Tom worry.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to go full conspiracy here, but I'm legit getting worried he'll stage an attack with real casualties and blame ISIS. ISIS would totally accept the blame too.
He won't stage an attack. He's an idiot but not that stupid. He can instead keep ignoring security concerns from his advisers and government agencies on the hope ISIS or someone else use that to attack the US.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Yeah. And Bush could read a speech decently enough, compared to Trump.

Also, people saw themselves "having a beer" with Bush. You can't even do that with Donald because he doesn't drink ;)
Trump has yet to respond to any terrorist attack here or abroad in a way that leads me to worry about him spinning a new attack into a net positive. He has zero empathy or an ability to connect to victims without making everything about himself.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting most of today's conspiracy theorists would never believe a false flag attack theory from trump's government due to Trump being the king of conspiracy theories.

Nov 4, 2017
Kind of ironic that Alex Jones is his biggest fan. Jones must be up at night sweating now. You can't get more conspiratorial than that lol.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did he bring up 9/11 or was that context added by others? He's dumb enough to not understand the context of that year's election. I can picture one of his staffers trying to reassure his ego by just bringing up republican's midterm numbers that year and conflating it with Bush's low approval rating six years later.

Yeah, that's a key point and what I wondered when reading the OP and the article.

It seems to me that he referenced 2002 as an example of an election in which the result dramatically differed from expectations and then the writer made the point that the divergence was due to 9/11. That's quite a bit different from Trump hoping for a 9/11 to win an election. Trump can F off either way as he's awful. I'm just not sure that this particular critique of him is valid or based on anything real.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, but the article is a total stretch. It simply says (in the original source) that Trump referenced the 2002 mid-terms as an example of an incumbent party that did unexpectedly well. Extrapolating that to "he wants a terrorist attack to happen" doesn't do anyone any favours.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
That shit worked in 2002 because no one wanted to blame Bush for the attack as no attack of that magnitude had ever been successful on US soil. And Bush was likeable.

So that's 0 for 2 to make that work in Trump's favor.

One of the broken clock moments Trump had during the Republican primaries was when Jeb Bush claimed his brother kept America safe, and Trump pointed out 9/11 happened on George's watch.

I'd guess Trump's hoping to recreate that 9/11 effect where people rally around the symbol of the Presidency regardless of how effective they are at national security?

Oct 25, 2017
You mean, like that white supremacist that actually DID get charged with mass terror and the DOJ tried to hide it?

Coming next to America: War of White Suprema- wait a minute, that's the wrong way 'round... *dramatic zoom out of Earth* SOROOOOOOOS

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but the article is a total stretch. It simply says (in the original source) that Trump referenced the 2002 mid-terms as an example of an incumbent party that did unexpectedly well. Extrapolating that to "he wants a terrorist attack to happen" doesn't do anyone any favours.

This type of reach is so harmful.
1) There are a ton of legitimate critiques of Trump
2) For all of the genuinely "fake" ones the delusional Trump supporters will prop them up as an example to dismiss the valid critiques.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I've long believed this to be true, unfortunately. Hopefully our law enforcement and intelligence agencies continue to serve.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
Please read what the source is actually saying.
In private conversations, Trump has told advisers that he doesn't think the 2018 election has to be as bad as others are predicting. He has referenced the 2002 midterms, when George W. Bush and Republicans fared better after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, these people said.

In no way does that equate to Trump hoping for a terrorist attack or deliberately weakening the US's defenses to make us vulnerable as some are saying.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we have had this thread a few times lol. I know I've seen that quote pop up in a few OPs

Status
Not open for further replies.