• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...russia-law-may-be-reviewed-moscow-lawyer-says

A Russian lawyer who met with President Donald Trump's oldest son last year says he indicated that a law targeting Russia could be re-examined if his father won the election and asked her for written evidence that illegal proceeds went to Hillary Clinton's campaign.

The lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, said in a two-and-a-half-hour interview in Moscow that she would tell these and other things to the Senate Judiciary Committee on condition that her answers be made public, something it hasn't agreed to. She has received scores of questions from the committee, which is investigating possible collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign. Veselnitskaya said she's also ready -- if asked -- to testify to Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

740x-1.jpg

Natalia Veselnitskaya

Photographer: Yury Martyanov/AFP via Getty Images
Her June 9, 2016 encounter with Donald Trump Jr., President Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner and then campaign manager Paul Manafort in New York plays a key role in allegations that the campaign worked with Russia to defeat Clinton.

Veselnitskaya said she went to New York to show Trump campaign officials that major Democratic donors had evaded U.S. taxes and to lobby against the so-called Magnitsky law that punishes Russian officials for the murder of a Russian tax accountant who accused the Kremlin of corruption.

'If We Come to Power'
"Looking ahead, if we come to power, we can return to this issue and think what to do about it,'' Trump Jr. said of the 2012 law, she recalled. "I understand our side may have messed up, but it'll take a long time to get to the bottom of it," he added, according to her.

740x-1.jpg

Donald Trump Jr.

Photographer: Albin Lohr-Jones/Pool via Bloomberg
Veselnitskaya also said Trump Jr. requested financial documents showing that money that allegedly evaded U.S. taxes had gone to Clinton's campaign. She didn't have any and described the 20-minute meeting as a failure.

A lawyer for Trump Jr., Alan Futerfas, said the president's son had no comment about the interview, the first time Veselnitskaya has offered details about what was discussed at Trump Tower in Manhattan. In the past, Trump Jr. has said that he had wasted his time seeing the lawyer because she provided no useful information.

The meeting took place after British publicist Rob Goldstone contacted Trump Jr. on behalf of Veselnitskaya to request it, describing her as a Russian government lawyer who had information and documents that would incriminate Clinton.

"This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump,'' Goldstone wrote in an email to Trump Jr.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's not good for Trump Jnr.

I wonder why she is divulging stuff, does her skin need saved or is she just a Putin tool to make it worse for Trump?

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

I wonder why she is divulging stuff, does her skin need saved or is she just a Putin tool to make it worse for Trump?

Note that what she is divulging only hurts the US side of the conspiracy; she's still denying Russian active measures like the hacks.

Mixing a grain of truth with a smoke screen of nonsense is the Russian influence playbook.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
Her evidence is not that useful. The playbook just wants them to sow the seeds of chaos. They know this would maximise embarrassment.

You have to think the Papadopoulos trail already has Jr and Kushner banged to rights.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The actions we know about show Russia just generally stirring shit and the Trump campaign attempting to formalise that in some strange idea of an alliance. So I think its believable.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given she's admitted she wanted to get the Magnitsky act revoked I have a hard time trusting in her intentions here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea seems a bit wild she would come out with this info knowing how Putin rolls.

The goal was never a stable Trump presidency because that was never going to happen. Russia simply wants to erode faith in the U.S. system as much as possible. Everything they do is aimed at generating conflict. Now that it's abundantly clear that Trump does not have the clout to help Russia in any way, they may as well let chaos reign.

theDream

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a good question.

I think its because she has been banned from re entering USA, and agreeing to divulge information for prosecutors would be a way for her to get back into the country.

Or perhaps the Kremlin wants her to destabilise America with information. Probably more likely as she is just a tool of Russia.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Since Russia's real goal here seems to be sowing chaos and not just electing an idiotic manbaby to the White House, contributing to the investigations actually makes sense in some twisted way. After all, what's more chaotic than helping a country elect an idiot and then helping them kick his ass out of office? It'd mean almost an entire year of the US being completely ineffective in the international sphere, and it'd completely destroy American faith in the electoral system and nigh-permanently damage international faith in the US as an international actor.

Really, no matter which way we go here, Russia wins at least a little bit, which is a terrifying thought.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time I thought that Putin was all for Trump, now it seems like he's more for fucking with America. Russia ruined our election and our place in the world and now it can continue to do so by burning the house they built.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Russia's agenda was and is to sow conflict and weaken the US. That's why they supported Trump in the first place, because they knew he would be a garbage president and they're right. Throwing Trump Jr under the bus fits nicely within their agenda and because of whatever direct Putin has on Trump, Trump will never push back. Remember, when Putin expelled US diplomats from Russia Trump publicly thanked him and called it a cost savings measure.

Chae3001

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but think that this is all going to culminate in Putin releasing the Compromat to the world at the exact moment it would create the most chaos. Trump will never have the juice to lift sanctions, since he is already partially compromised. The Congress would never let him do it. At this point, Trump is just another tool to destabilize the US.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Russians know exactly what was said in those meetings. They might even have it on tape.

Not just sowing chaos, seems they have blackmail material on them.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but think that this is all going to culminate in Putin releasing the Compromat to the world at the exact moment it would create the most chaos. Trump will never have the juice to lift sanctions, since he is already partially compromised. The Congress would never let him do it. At this point, Trump is just another tool to destabilize the US.
That's what it's always been. The chances of Trump having the political capital and skill to make meaningful policy that would benefit Putin was always a long shot. The real purpose has always been to destabilize and diminish the U.S. in order to provide greater space for Putin to operate in.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She's a liar and I have a hard time believing she would ever step foot back in this country.

Well, considering the DoJ prohibited her entry just days ago ...

No, that guy is an idiot (without a lawyer). If she is doing this, it must be what Putin wants. The question is why. Trump can get angry on Twitter, Putin has had dozens of enemies imprisoned or killed. She would not be speaking about this without his blessing.

Maybe Trump wants to get away from his Russia thing and this is Putin's way of saying "I got your son, walk away and he will suffer the consequences".

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
For the longest time I thought that Putin was all for Trump, now it seems like he's more for fucking with America. Russia ruined our election and our place in the world and now it can continue to do so by burning the house they built.
Being for Trump is fucking with America. Trump is perpetual chaos and regression.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Russia's goal isn't Trump, it's to weaken the US global influence and spread distrust. Trump is only a means to an end.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Russia's goal isn't Trump, it's to weaken the US global influence and spread distrust. Trump is only a means to an end.

This. Trump is a greedy idiot. As long as he gets his money and praise, he'll do just about anything. This made his campaign an especially useful tool for furthering Russia's goal in undermining American citizens' trust in the government.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Note that what she is divulging only hurts the US side of the conspiracy; she's still denying Russian active measures like the hacks.

Mixing a grain of truth with a smoke screen of nonsense is the Russian influence playbook.

Exactly. Even if the actual hackers come forward and admit it, the Russian government will still deny any involvement. It would be amusing if they started openly marketing state-sponsored hacking services internationally, but that would ruin their narrative.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping Mueller is just peeling the onion at this point. Layer by layer until he's in Trump's inner circle and picking off his family until he finally has the Orange Turd.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Putin is testing to see if Comrade Orange will turn against his own blood. Pretty sure he, if it comes down to it, will publicly rebuke his own son before Father Russia.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
This. Trump is a greedy idiot. As long as he gets his money and praise, he'll do just about anything. This made his campaign an especially useful tool for furthering Russia's goal in undermining American citizens' trust in the government.

This whole thing makes way more sense if you put Trump in the context of a rich man looking to get richer. He's watching what Putin and his crew get away with halfway across the world and probably admires it and wants it for himself.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Russia's agenda was and is to sow conflict and weaken the US. That's why they supported Trump in the first place, because they knew he would be a garbage president and they're right. Throwing Trump Jr under the bus fits nicely within their agenda and because of whatever direct Putin has on Trump, Trump will never push back. Remember, when Putin expelled US diplomats from Russia Trump publicly thanked him and called it a cost savings measure.

That's interesting actually. Trump still hasn't criticised Russia or Putin and if Trump Jnr and others go down for Russian interference will Donald Trump still keep his mouth shut. If it wasn't clear the Russians have him in their pocket before it would be then.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Russia gives a shit about working for Trump anymore now that they know he cannot do anything to ease sanctions. Their interest now is destabilizing the country as much as possible.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing makes way more sense if you put Trump in the context of a rich man looking to get richer. He's watching what Putin and his crew get away with halfway across the world and probably admires it and wants it for himself.
A really bad at his job rich man. Like at his level it is hard to fail, but he has and the only thing he has of worth is/was his name.

Oct 28, 2017
It's by design. Undermining Trump is in their interest - make him as weak of a president as possible.

I don't think that was necessarily the original goal. Getting the Magnitsky Act revoked and having US support or at least accept on russian aggression in countries like Ukraine, would be a great boon to Russia. Much bigger than what general chaos brings.

But after it became clear that Trump actually couldn't get anything through that would significantly help Putin, they started slowly putting more fuel on the flames.

It's was a win-win for Russia right from the get go anyways. Even if Trump lost they would still have significant kompromat on him, his family and other republicans after this whole shit show.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I come to testify thst there was no collusion, nothing more to see, case closed. Now that is settled, let's talk about Russian sanctions ya?"

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Russia gives a shit about working for Trump anymore now that they know he cannot do anything to ease sanctions. Their interest now is destabilizing the country as much as possible.

Yeah, Rex was there for that purpose alone and it's just got further away since inauguration. Russians are just taking the piss and laughing at the mess now hoping to push the US into free fall. Those sanctions are not getting lifted.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
No reason to believe she's telling the truth, though Josh Marshall floats a possible theory:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/russia-puts-the-squeeze-on-don-jr
Here's another possibility to consider. There were other Veselnitskaya associates at that meeting in addition to her. Why do we think one of them wasn't wearing a wire? There's nothing about Don Jr., the Trump organization or the Trump campaign that gives us any reason to think any of these people would have been searched for such a listening device. It's certainly possible that she or one of her colleagues have proof of what was said in that meeting, something that would leave all three of the key Trump side players vulnerable to blackmail.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hysterical that if Trump never decided to run for president, him and his whole corrupt family probably could've kept on with all their shady business in the shadows.

I'm glad his hubris could take them all down (I hope)