• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, whenever the pandemic begins to recede down the road, if he is still in office by that time, he'll take singular credit for "beating" the virus and ending the spread.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, whenever the pandemic begins to recede down the road, if he is still in office by that time, he'll take singular credit for "beating" the virus and ending the spread.
Trump said the number would be back to 0 soon, so if there are any cases and any deaths then Pence won't look so good. Trump set the bar really kind of high for a pandemic lol.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
In the truth vacuum that is the Trump presidency, nothing matters when it comes to things he says and those things sticking.

The only thing that matters is how many people's lives are affected negatively by actions or inaction the Trump administration takes with this virus. There will be no political fallout either way, you already saw that last night. Health experts, Democrats, and the Press all resoundingly criticized Trump for his abrupt, largely misinformed press conference where he made statements in direct contradiction to what his CDC head had just set, standing next to him. And what was the result from the Trump-o-sphere? "DEMOCRATS WEAPONIZE AND POLITICIZE CORONAVIRUS."

The Trump-o-sphere does not care about how many people die, get sick, or how Trump's policies contribute to that or don't contribute to it, they only care about how they can craft a political message about a viral outbreak. And no matter what happens, the message will be the same for them: Trump is God, anybody who challenges God's narrative is the enemy.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
And it will be rendered in (digital) print by Ben Garrison, with Trump as a muscular boxer knocking out a... cloud of germs with a Chinese flag on it? As horrible caricatures of Democratic figures look on in horror.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
What does Trump believe in? I mean, seriously? Why does he do what he does? Does he just hate himself?

Quite the opposite. He is just interested in himself and his brand (Trump). Though really he doesn't see a difference.
He sees loyalty (to himself) as the most positive thing about a person and can you think of anyone more loyal than Pence?

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if Pence bungles this, can't Trump just blame "fake news" and claim it's not happening, and people will believe him? They'll just tell themselves the people who are being diagnosed are either faking it, or being lied to by liberal doctors giving fake diagnoses.

And If Trump turns on Pence for this, does the Senate try to back Pence, or they let him get thrown under the bus?

The Senate is all in for Trump - hell, I'm guessing Pence takes one for the team if it comes to that and thanks Trump for it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Administration officials have sparred internally in recent days over the emergency budget request, with Azar and others seeking a much larger package and White House aides calling for a less ambitious approach, according to officials with knowledge of the dispute, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive issue.
Trump, who praised Azar publicly Tuesday, has been skeptical of the secretary's ability to handle the crisis, a senior administration official said. The president has been reluctant to oust him in part because he did not want to add to the sense of disarray, the official said.
Azar was blindsided by the decision to put Pence in charge of the coronavirus response, according to five people familiar with the situation, who said Azar learned of the decision only moments before the evening news conference.
-------------------
Still, at the end of the news conference, Azar walked back to the lectern to clarify that he remained the chairman of the coronavirus task force and had not been demoted. He said he was actually "delighted" to have Pence overseeing the effort.
As Azar was speaking, Trump walked out of the room.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Realistically, does Trump know that this is probably going to be a huge pandemic mess for the USA, but he doesn't care, as long as his secret service men disinfect everything within 100 yards of him?

Or does he genuinely believe that he's going to solve this crisis "somehow" and actually be surprised and feel betrayed when it blows up in his face?

Realistically, does Trump know that this is probably going to be a huge pandemic mess for the USA, but he doesn't care, as long as his secret service men disinfect everything within 100 yards of him?

Or does he genuinely believe that he's going to solve this crisis "somehow" and actually be surprised and feel betrayed when it blows up in his face?
IIRC an old business partner of Trump's said that Trump truly believes whatever he's saying at the moment he's saying it.

I'd bet that in the morning, when Trump says the US is WINNING and viruses are over, he believes his underlings will make the problem go away because he said so.

Then in the evening, he's fuming again because the problem is still here, and the media is talking about it.

Rinse and repeat the next day.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I wasn't aware the conservative defense for Mike Pence's HIV nonsense was this intentionally obtuse. ("Guys, he meant prayer as in he was going to meditate on it! Also, it's not his fault a bunch of junkies used dirty needles, GOD!")

Also, I posted this in the other thread, but just so it gets more visibility...