• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
On a Huawei (Honor) phone. Cheap, well made, works well. Installed Kapersky to give the Russians a fair shake on backdooring into my phone.

Sarcasm aside I really wish there were better alternatives to good cheap phones besides Huawei, Xiaomi and the like. New Nokia seemed to be the case until my phone screen separated from the phone 6 months into use. I am an extremely careful person with my electronics, rocking an iPhone 6 for ages for my work phone, and the way the Nokia screen just slowly pulled up overtime exposing the innards of the phone was kind of amazing.

Mjolnir

Alt account
Banned
May 2, 2019
This is really bad and shows that the US is willing to escalate conflict with China because they're not bowing down to US foreign interests (such as Trump's trade war trying to bully other countries into submission). It always starts with demonization and economic sanctions, and then it escalates further. People need to smarten up about this and what's going on when they read about China from US-based newspapers who will defend the interests of the US government when it comes to foreign policy.

Huawei deserves to suffer.
Sometimes Trump does the right thing. Law of averages.

Why exactly does "Huawei deserve to suffer" and not all the other tech companies doing the exact same thing for over a decade? Oh, it's because they're American companies, right? So it's all good when we do it, but as soon as other companies do the same, they deserve to suffer.

nuoh_my_god

Nov 11, 2017
Ireland

Yeah, I wouldn't quote that since:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/30/huawei_enterprise_router_backdoor_is_telnet/

"Characterising this sort of Telnet service as a covert backdoor for government spies is a bit like describing your catflap as an access portal that allows multiple species to pass unhindered through a critical home security layer. In other words, massively over-egging the pudding. "

And their other recent "news" blowback:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/supermicro-denies-bloomberg-big-hack-report,38231.html

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course both China and USA spies as much as they can on any ordinary or extraordinary people. But anyone equating China and USA on this on a same scale need to have their head examine... Ok maybe not but at least that person should look into just one part of many many evil things China is doing: treatment of Uighur population

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I read over the article and it doesn't seem like it's any different than the current ban on Huawei telecom equipment? Or does this include all equipment and products from Huawei?
Looks like now it applies to smaller, more regional companies in addition to the major telcos is my understanding

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this redirects the ire of China on Canada over Huawei. We should just let the US deal with all of this.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Of course both China and USA spies as much as they can on any ordinary or extraordinary people. But anyone equating China and USA on this on a same scale need to have their head examine... Ok maybe not but at least that person should look into just one part of many many evil things China is doing: treatment of Uighur population
I don't think anyone is equating the US and China on the matter of Human Rights here.

People are equating the two countries regarding spying. Which would not be an outrageous thing to say considering the whole Snowden thing.

Oct 27, 2017
t
This is really bad and shows that the US is willing to escalate conflict with China because they're not bowing down to US foreign interests (such as Trump's trade war trying to bully other countries into submission). It always starts with demonization and economic sanctions, and then it escalates further. People need to smarten up about this and what's going on when they read about China from US-based newspapers who will defend the interests of the US government when it comes to foreign policy.

Why exactly does "Huawei deserve to suffer" and not all the other tech companies doing the exact same thing for over a decade? Oh, it's because they're American companies, right? So it's all good when we do it, but as soon as other companies do the same, they deserve to suffer.
Here comes the Chinese government defense force right on schedule.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
So an extension of the status quo then? That's not that big of a deal...
Yep the only reason trade deal is even mentioned in the headline is because of a line stating some European officials believe it will be a part of an eventual deal.

Some weird overreactions in this thread over a bunch of nothing tbh. Sucks possibly for rural Americans since there won't be cheap networking equipment to build up their 5G networks, but no one even talking about that lol

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like a lot of people in here don't understand the current situation with Huawei, etc.

This is a good thing.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I hate trump with a fiery passion. But in this case I approve. I wouldn't be surprised if the NSA already spy on us through our phones. But I don't want China to import their surveillance on top of that. I know there is no concrete evidence that shows they are. But I don't trust the Chinese government or Chinese companies. Never will.

Edit: Unless we're talking about their Type 56 AK-47. Polytech Legends are the best AK platform ever made. Yes, even better than Russian AKs. 😉

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Xi Winnie the Pooh has enough underlings for him to delegate vengeful tasks against us.
If that UofT Student Union thing is anything to go by, yeah.
Looks like a lot of people in here don't understand the current situation with Huawei, etc.

This is a good thing.
China has a level of entitlement that rivals anyone's- if not worse while being worse than anyone on human rights.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness I have an iPhone made in America by slab-handed patriot teamsters. Also this will teach Russia to meddle in our elections.

Nobody is going to buy a Russian phone after this.

I feel certain that the economic power Trump's daughter wields with her Chinese trademarks will rebalance this spat.

Feb 3, 2018

Not a fan of the trade war but Huawei can fuck right off in Norway our security services are warning against Huawei given that they are basicly so closely tied to the chinese government and no it's not even comparable to any other company either in Europe or the US.

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2019/02/04/norways-pst-warns-against-huawei/

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes.

National security is a thing.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes? Even if we were to agree that it's bad when "we" do it, it's still fundamentally worse when China does.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If that UofT Student Union thing is anything to go by, yeah.

China has a level of entitlement that rivals anyone's- if not worse while being worse than anyone on human rights.

New Zealand, Australia and Canada. Criticizing Pooh's regime is being stonewalled. Money, money, money. That fucking authoritarian will use the country's credit to leverage much of the western world.

I wonder if this is the decades of outsourcing various manufacturing for extremely cheap and expendable labour come to bite us in the ass, now that a vindictive authoritarian without expiration date is in charge of such a powerful economic force.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe that this admin wants to protect me.

Maybe by accident?

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dont understand people tbh. Lets say you are a normal American citizen doing your normal life. why are you afraid foreign countries like china spying on you? Even if they know everything about you whats the point? what are they going to do with it? I DO UNDERSTAND you dont want your own government to spy on you because they have the authority to makes problem for you but a foreign country like china cant do shit to you. Why are you bothered? what kind of secret do you have? makes no sense to me. Can someone please explain this?