• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for making this point. This is something that always has irked me. We stole this land from Mexico and people bitch about basically Mexicans going back to their native lands. It's absolutely insane to me.

The true history behind how we "acquired" Texas and Cali from Mexico is also horrifying and usually completely whitewashed to the point of insanity. Americans started the fight each and every time. Mexico had outlawed slavery back in 1829, but these fucking american gringos kept coming into Texas with their slaves, err I mean indentured servants, and Mexico begrudgingly allowed it. Of course that wouldn't stop the fears of the colonials, who really really really loved slavery and white supremacy.

There's some evidence that tejanos, or Mexicans in Texas, acted as "conductors" on the southern route by helping people get to Mexico. In addition, Hammack has also identified a black woman and two white men who helped enslaved workers escape and tried to find a home for them in Mexico.

Mexico abolished slavery in 1829 when Texas was still part of the country, prompting white, slave-holding immigrants to fight for independence in the Texas Revolution. Once they formed the Republic of Texas in 1836, they made slavery legal again, and it continued to be legal when Texas joined the U.S. as a state in 1845.

Enslaved people in Texas were aware that there was a country to the south where they could find different levels of freedom (though indentured debt servitude existed in Mexico, it was not the same as chattel slavery). Hammack has discovered one runaway named Tom who had been enslaved by Sam Houston. Houston was a president of the Republic of Texas who'd fought in the Texas Revolution. Once Tom got across the border, he joined the Mexican military that Houston had fought against.
"I have come across abolitionists from the north who were going to Mexico to petition Mexico to allow them to buy land to establish colonies for runaway slaves and free blacks," Hammack says. In the early 1830s, Quaker abolitionist Benjamin Lundy "was actively petitioning the Mexican government to allow for colonies to be established for, I guess what we would consider now, refugees."

Lundy's plan to start a free colony in Mexico's Texas region was thwarted when it separated from Mexico and legalized slavery. Later, in 1852, Seminole groups that included runaway slaves successfully petitioned the Mexican government for land. "It still belongs to their descendants and they still live there to this day in Mexico," Hammack says.

These and other refugees fleeing slavery through the southern "underground railroad" all benefited from Mexico's willingness to give them a safe haven.

Fuck America. We're the proto-nazis. It's why I'll never be surprised at how much racism is concentrated in positions of power, especially in this particular era. We've never had to face the sins of our past. I mean really face them.

Instead we lionize our evils and excuse them. Bioshock Infinite's satire works well because it's not far off from reality.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory generalizations, conflating the people of a nation with statements of one government official
Americans don't deserve to host the statue of Liberty. Fascistic, racist bigoted cunts.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is a descendant from Italians immigrating over here, lmao I don't think this dude is very caught up with his history of this country.

As an American, this is fucking disgusting. Absolute worthless sacks of garbage are currently running this country.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The true history behind how we "acquired" Texas and Cali from Mexico is also horrifying and usually completely whitewashed to the point of insanity. Americans started the fight each and every time. Mexico had outlawed slavery back in 1829, but these fucking american gringos kept coming into Texas with their slaves, err I mean indentured servants, and Mexico begrudgingly allowed it. Of course that wouldn't stop the fears of the colonials, who really really really loved slavery and white supremacy.

Fuck America. We're the proto-nazis. It's why I'll never be surprised at how much racism is concentrated in positions of power, especially in this particular era. We've never had to face the sins of our past. I mean really face them.

Instead we lionize our evils and excuse them. Bioshock Infinite's satire works well because it's not far off from reality.

We did face the sins of our past, we fought a war over it. We just didn't complete the final step and have our own version of the Nuremberg trials.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
We did face the sins of our past, we fought a war over it. We just didn't complete the final step and have our own version of the Nuremberg trials.

Civil War confronted slavery, but despite how evil it was, it itself was merely a symptom. We didn't address white supremacy and hatred against the "other". Thus any good progress that happened in the following years was drowned out by more bloodshed, more genocide, and more naked racism.

At least nazis in germany had to flee to other countries. In America after the war, they mostly stayed here and suffered zero repercussions, continued getting elected as presidents, and becoming giants of business. They filled out the uniforms of the local constabulary and military. They wrote, enforced, and interpreted the laws. They rewrote the Civil War itself and all of history with it.

If we actually and truly confronted our sins, none of that shit would have happened. Instead we gave ourselves the briefest pats on the back as we went back to our bread and butter - racism, jingoism, nativism.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm not a fan of this kind of generalization to a whole people. It's on the edge of hate speech.

68+ million Americans voted for the administration and despite the continued rhetoric that is slowly and clearly dehumanizing part of the population and rolling back rights of the minorities and protection of endangered species, denying climate science, being an anti-vaxxer, etc etc etc , his support has only grown within the Republican rank and file. So, personally, I don't much care for Americans in general but if you are interested in the semantics game for the sake of clarity, the comment is akin to all comments that for dramatic effect tend to point to a specific demographic but only ever mean the problematic portion within the said demographic.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
68+ million Americans voted for the administration and despite the continued rhetoric that is slowly and clearly dehumanizing part of the population and rolling back rights of the minorities and protection of endangered species, denying climate science, being an anti-vaxxer, etc etc etc , his support has only grown within the Republican rank and file. So, personally, I don't much care for Americans in general but if you are interested in the semantics game for the sake of clarity, the comment is akin to all comments that for dramatic effect tend to point to a specific demographic but only ever mean the problematic portion within the said demographic.
But even more voted against it. And both of those populations are barely half of the people who could vote. So it's a stupid generalization that's imo not ok.

ersatz

Aug 14, 2019
To insult an entire people and assign them despicable characteristics and then back-pedal to say that you were actually only speaking of a minority of that people isn't acceptable either. What would be acceptable in this situation is to acknowledge that your language was offensive and apologize. But I'm going to leave it like that, this discussion is boring as fuck.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

There are 330+ million people in the United States. Please tell me how your using broad strokes to condemn only a specific, "bad" segment of a population is any different than the rhetoric Trump and Company used to call out "bad hombres" from the Hispanic population in the United States? Your intent? Do you really think that's acceptable?

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But even more voted against it. And both of those populations are barely half of the people who could vote. So it's a stupid generalization that's imo not ok.

I don't think it's so stupid. By your own admission, even more of our population decided that it wasn't worth the bother to vote at all. Voter suppression notwithstanding, I think acquiescing to fascist rule because it doesn't directly affect you is hardly better than actually being a fascist.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Cuccinelli is just a firm believer that "The New Colossus" is a living document, open to interpretation.

xnipx

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I learned something interesting the other day, know how the irish and itatian policemen became a trope? They came here with nothing and were treated like shit, alot of them ended up on the police force cracking black people's heads and earned their way into whiteness

Yea racism is a learned behavior we used to be on the same sides.

xnipx

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What i-LO said is nothing different than someone saying they are ashamed to be American. Regardless of how the votes went, these people represent us. And when they think of America they think of the trump admin. Playing semantics because he hurt your feelings is missing the forest for the trees.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Not that it at all matters, but Trump particularly hates Latino immigrants, and last time I checked, Spain is in Europe.

So, as usual, racist as fuck while also not even making sense.