OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Jeff McCONNEY on the witness stand. We saw him before in the NY Cilvil fraud trial - former comptroller of Trump Org.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Former president or not, crazed cult followers or not, it's time to take off the kid gloves. Hell, it's been time since these cases started.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
It was McConney who said that Cohen's invoices were to be coded to legal expenses.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

2cpha4.gif

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I know we talk about this alot with the contempt stuff.. but there is a reason the judge is avoid tossing Trump in a cell.

It would give him an excuse to run to appeals court and get just what he wants.. a delay

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Given the way he morosely tells the press outside the courtroom that he can't comment now, and that he's dialed down attacking the witnesses on Truth Social, it does seem like the fines and the gag order are working, no? I mean, I don't follow him on Truth Social, so maybe I've missed stuff, but it does seem like he's stopped.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
I know we talk about this alot with the contempt stuff.. but there is a reason the judge is avoid tossing Trump in a cell.

It would give him an excuse to run to appeals court and get just what he wants.. a delay

It's been suggested the judge can impose jail time AFTER the case has concluded.

Now that would be something!

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Here's my thought process.. the constant contempt charges are NOT going to help him come sentencing time.

It shows a complete disregard for the law and the judge will NOT take that lightly.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been suggested the judge can impose jail time AFTER the case has concluded.

Now that would be something!
It definitely would be something but also let's be real this guy would have probably the easiest jail time anyone has ever seen. Segregated from everyone most likely and no doubt all the prison guards would be on his side and give him anything he wants.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely would be something but also let's be real this guy would have probably the easiest jail time anyone has ever seen. Segregated from everyone most likely and no doubt all the prison guards would be on his side and give him anything he wants.
Whether he's sufficiently miserable while incarcerated is secondary to the fact that just being stuck behind bars for any nontrivial amount of time is bad news for somebody trying to run a campaign. He wouldn't be holding rallies, doing fundraisers, and would be pretty much out of the news cycle for the duration. So despite all his bluster about being willing to go to jail like some sort of martyr, that's really not a place he wants to be.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The first time will probably just be a day or whatever and he'll come out of that defiant. At this point I don't care how he weathers these things. Contempt is probably the only way he sees the inside of a jail cell for this case anyway. I mostly just want the guilty verdict to take the kid gloves off the sentencing for more serious stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Whether he's sufficiently miserable while incarcerated is secondary to the fact that just being stuck behind bars for any nontrivial amount of time is bad news for somebody trying to run a campaign. He wouldn't be holding rallies, doing fundraisers, and would be pretty much out of the news cycle for the duration. So despite all his bluster about being willing to go to jail like some sort of martyr, that's really not a place he wants to be.
If he does go to jail I hope they don't clean the cell before he goes into it. He's a serious germophobe and needs to sweat in there.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
What I think happens is the Judge doesn't put him in jail, but instead, puts him in a locked room behind the courtroom while court is in session.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Why would locking him up lead to the whole thing getting appealed and delayed? Say he has to spend a night in jail between one trial day and the next... that's the normal reality for many people on trial.

Not asking rhetorically. Is that a thing?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't have to be Trump's idea for it to be a crime for him to do it though.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What I think happens is the Judge doesn't put him in jail, but instead, puts him in a locked room behind the courtroom while court is in session.

That doesn't sound like a punishment for Don, he would just use it as an opportunity to nap without people noticing.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Here's my thought process.. the constant contempt charges are NOT going to help him come sentencing time.

It shows a complete disregard for the law and the judge will NOT take that lightly.

I agree with this, even if I don't agree with the idea of not throwing him in jail because he may appeal. The appeal will fail and I don't see why it would delay the trial. It just might delay his serving the time for contempt. But I'm not sure how any of that works.

But as far as how all his actions will come back to haunt him during sentencing time, I agree and I sure as hell hope that is the case. People keep reiterating how there is practically a 0% chance he gets jail time here if convicted. While I have no law training I just don't see why. Trump is not acting like a typical defendant. He shows no remorse, he shows contempt for the judge and his staff. He has attacked and endangered even the judge's family. Even if probation is the typical sentence for a first time offender, it is still up to Merchan's discretion. And Trump has been so out of line I still say the judge has enough reason to use that discretion to say that a slap on the wrist will not suffice here. Trump, through his actions, has shown that he thinks he is above the law and will simply take probation as a victory and continue his lawless behavior.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Why would locking him up lead to the whole thing getting appealed and delayed? Say he has to spend a night in jail between one trial day and the next... that's the normal reality for many people on trial.

Not asking rhetorically. Is that a thing?

I don't think it would. It is clearly in the judge's discretion and the appeals court would not want to undermine the ability of judges to conduct their trials.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
30 minutes in the sin bin for shitposting

There are 278 holding cells in the courthouse.

That doesn't sound like a punishment for Don, he would just use it as an opportunity to nap without people noticing.
Yup, it's infuriating at the amount of bullshit he gets away with. I'm not sold that the judge will put him behind bars for an extended period of time.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yup, it's infuriating at the amount of bullshit he gets away with. I'm not sold that the judge will put him behind bars for an extended period of time.
I believe he will spend at least one night in jail. Whether for this or something else. I firmly believe it.

He's not going to stop going after witnesses, and jurors, etc, when it only costs him $1000 a pop. He doesn't believe they'd dare lock him up and I want to see that shattered.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you can appeal a contempt of court order to a higher court. A successful appeal requires evidence that the order was unfair or mistaken, and appeals usually have a time limit to be valid.

So Trump's argument would be that jailing him is "unfair"
Which is why he's getting a thousand warnings, there is no way to appeal if he's been warned consistently and at length

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Which is why he's getting a thousand warnings, there is no way to appeal if he's been warned consistently and at length
It can still be appealed.. regardless of warnings.

Even if the appeal loses, it still slows things down.. and chills the jury.

The goal is to keep the case moving forward and all the evidence to the jury in constant fashion.
You delay things and people's viewpoints can change.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So if he gets jailed for contempt does the leniency for a first time offender go out the window? Or irrelevant since they're unrelated crimes?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Folks are really not able to imagine what Trump would look like if he went one day without bronzer and three hours to work on his birds next combover. He'd look like a fucking ghoul....well more so.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
On the one hand, he has been allowed waaaayyyy too many second (and third and forth and...) chances.

On the other hand still a lot of trial to go and the judge seems to be outlining a clear escalation of consequences.

Folks are really not able to imagine what Trump would look like if he went one day without bronzer and three hours to work on his birds next combover. He'd look like a fucking ghoul....well more so.
Great, now I can't unsee that. Maybe the judge really wants to save us all from that nightmare.