Legal Analysis
  • OP
    OP
    phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
    Oct 26, 2017
    Well, I was going to write something about the underlying crimes and Trump's possible defense motions, but I found someone's already done it far better than I could. Justsecurity.org is a legal/national security site with one of the co-editors being a chaired professor at New York University School of Law, so they know their stuff.

For example, they covered more-or-less the same ground on statute of limitations as I did a few posts above, but also noted that in 2020 Andrew Cuomo by executive order suspended the statute of limitations in New York because of the pandemic. I'd never have spotted that!

So I'm just gonna link to their articles instead. If you have an appetite for delving into the legal details, this is a really good place to look. Long and thorough articles.

The Hush Money Investigation (main page for these articles)
    Detailed Chronology in Trump-Cohen Hush Money Investigation
    Survey of Past Criminal Prosecutions for Covert Payments to Benefit a Political Campaign
    The Manhattan DA's Charges and Trump's Defenses: A Detailed Preview (this was before the indictment, but still good)
    The Broad Scope of "Intent to Defraud" in the New York Crime of Falsifying Business Records

One more thing. The NY courts have put up the case docket so it should be easier to track things happening. I've put a link in the OP, it's behind a CAPTCHA but otherwise free.

With that, I think I'm done here until something happens. Being as things might be accelerating elsewhere I 'll need some more threads ready to go.

(Commercial break)
  • Oct 28, 2017
    Washington DC
    Lol dude at the gas station here in Florida: "well at least he's in NYC. We know they'll take care of their hometown boy. New York loves him as much as we do here."

I almost dropped my Ghost Sour Patch Kids Redberry drinks.

I've never heard of these but this post made my buy a case online. Arrived yesterday:
    20230407-175403.jpg

Just had my first one. Holy crap I'm glad I stopped halfway. This 39 year old grandpa is wired as hell now. Hit me in like 5 minutes, wow. I have maybe 2 energy drinks a year - mostly just drink coffee.

Pretrial schedule/motions etc
  • OP
    OP
    phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
    The hearing yesterday was fairly uneventful, but at least we got some dates out of it

1) Trump confirms he's read the protective order, counsel confirms he understands it, judge points out that it is a mandate of the court and that breach may lead to a finding of contempt.
    2) Trial date set for March 25th 2024. Parties, including Mr Trump are directed not to enter any commitments from then until the trial is complete. This visibly annoyed Trump (probably because it is right in the middle of the primaries in AZ, FL, IL, OH) but his mic was muted!
    3) Defense motions by August 29th, prosecution response by October 10th, rulings on January 4th. That's a bit later than expected.
    4) Administrative hearing on October 10th.
    5) Judge hasn't yet ruled whether Joe Tacopina is conflicted out of the case

This is now likely to go all quiet until at least October, except for any shenanigans that Trump pulls in the meantime. I do notice that the October 10th date will be right in the middle of Trump's New York civil fraud trial, give it another few months and it will be wall-to-wall court stuff for Trump. (I have three more trial OTs ready to go, and I kind of hope that will be all of them.)

Trump, predictably:

View: https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status/1661093800188493826

TRIAL SUMMARY
  • OP
    OP
    phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
    (OFFICIAL PRESS DOCUMENTS)(TRANSCRIPTS)
    ('Day n' links to discussion in this thread, [transcript] links to the official court report, first appearance of each witness highlighted)

Day 1 - Monday 15 Apr 2024 - jury selection innercitypress , Adam Klasfeld, Tyler McBrien, Politico report
    - Trump's motion to recuse judge DENIED
    - jury selection process agreed, some evidence proposals and oppositions ruled on
    Day 2 - Tuesday 16 Apr 2024 - 7 jurors seated - innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Tyler McBrien (also day 1+2 report)
    - Trump warned about being disruptive in court
    - order to show cause re gag order violations, hearing due 24 Apr 2:15 (or possibly 23 April 9:30)
    Day 3 - Thursday 18 Apr - 12 + 1 jurors seated - innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Tyler McBrien
    - second order to show cause, because Trump just won't shut up
    - DA will not disclose first 3 witness names because of Trump tweets
    Day 4 - Friday 19 Apr - FULL JURY + ALTS SEATED - innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Tyler McBrien (also day 3+4 report)
    - Sandoval hearing, judgment reserved (DA's notice)
    Day 5 - Monday 22 Apr 9:30 - [transcript] innercitypress, Anna Bower, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop
    - Opening statements
    - David PECKER (owns the National Enquirer) - introduction/background
    Day 6 - Tuesday 23 Apr - [transcript] innercitypress, Tyler McBrien, Adam Klasfeld, Anna Bower, Stewart Bishop (lawfare report)
    - gag order hearing, car crash by Trump's lawyers
    - David PECKER - catch-and-kill conspiracy Pecker/Trump/Bannon/Cohen, big money, NDAs, Dino, McDougal,
    Day 7 - Thursday 25 Apr - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld +1, Anna Bower, Stewart Bishop
    - David PECKER again
    - another order to show cause, another hearing scheduled, for Wed 1 May 2:15 (later moved to Thu 2nd 9:30)
    Day 8 - Friday 26 Apr - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Anna Bower, Stewart Bishop
    - David PECKER again, cross examination, redirect
    - Rhona GRAFF (former executive assistant to Trump) - phone and contact details, dates at Trump Tower
    - Gary FARRO (former MD of First Republic - Michael Cohen's bank) - shell corporations, emails with Cohen
    Day 9 - Tuesday 30 Apr - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Anna Bower, Stewart Bishop
    - Trump fined £9,000 for contempt, and warned of jail possibility
    - Gary Farrow - finished with
    - Robert BROWNING - records custodian for CSPAN (tapes of Trump whining about stuff)
    - Phillip THOMPSON - records custodian for Esquire Deposition Solutions (Trump's E Jean Carroll depo)
    - Keith DAVIDSON - (Daniels & McDougal lawyer)
    Day 10 - Thursday 2 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Tyler McBrien, Stewart Bishop, Jose Pagliery
    - second contempt hearing
    - Keith DAVIDSON again
    - Douglas DAUS - custodial witness for Cohen's phone
    Day 11 - Friday 3 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Anna Bower, Stewart Bishop
    - Douglas DAUS again
    - Georgia LONGSTREET - (DA paralegal - custodial) Access Hollywood tape & Truth Social posts
    - Hope HICKS - (Trump PR & campaign) - lots of eyewitness stuff
    Day 12 - Monday 6 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Tyler McBrien, Stewart Bishop
    - second contempt ORDER
    - Jeffrey McCONNEY (former Trump Org comptroller)
    - Deborah TARASOFF (Trump Org accounts payable supervisor)
    Day 13 - Tuesday 7 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Tyler McBrien, Stewart Bishop
    - Sally FRANKLIN (managing editor Penguin Random House - custodial witness for Trump books)
    - Stormy DANIELS (needs no introduction)
    Day 14 - Thursday 9 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Tyler McBrien, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower
    - Stormy DANIELS - cross
    - Rebecca MANOCHIO (asst. to Weisselberg at Trump Org, as records custodian for checks)
    - Tracey MENZIES (VP at Harper Collins - custodial witness for more Trump books)
    - Madeleine WESTERHOUT (former Oval Office asst. & RNC)
    - defense motion to amend gag order DENIED, motion for mistrial DENIED
    Day 15 - Friday 10 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower
    - Trump subpoena to Mark Pomerantz QUASHED
    - Madeleine WESTERHOUT again
    - Daniel DIXON (AT&T, phone records)
    - Jenny TOMALIN (Verizon, phone records)
    - Georgia LONGSTREET again (DA paralegal, introducing Trump's tweets)
    - David JARMEL-SCHNEIDER (another DA paralegal, reports on phone records)
    Day 16 - Monday 13 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower, Tyler McBrien
    - Michael COHEN (former Trump lawyer and source of the payment to Stormy)
    Day 17 - Tuesday 14 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower, Tyler McBrien
    - Michael COHEN again - end of direct, start of cross
    Day 18 - Thursday 16 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower, Tyler McBrien
    - Michael COHEN again - cross examination
    Day 19 - Monday 20 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower, Tyler McBrien
    - Michael COHEN again
    prosecution rests. And now for the defense,
    - Daniel SITKO (Blanche paralegal, Cohan/Costello phone logs)
    - Robert COSTELLO (Giuliani lawyer I think - real annoying guy)
    Day 20 - Tuesday 21 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower, Tyler McBrien
    - Robert COSTELLO again
    defense rests.
    Day 21 - Tuesday 28 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower, Tyler McBrien
    - closing arguments, Todd BLANCHE for the defense then Josh STEINGLASS for the People
    Day 22 - Wednesday 29 May - [transcript] innercitypress, Adam Klasfeld, Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower, Tyler McBrien
    - jury charge, followed by jury deliberations
    Day 23 - Thursday 30 May - [transcript] Stewart Bishop, Anna Bower, Tyler McBrien
    - jury deliberating

Last edited: