• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The current water cooler discussion: Our contract is paid in advance. Of course, if we workers run out of paid vacation we have to take unpaid time off. The money exists already in the company to pay for us and let us count this as a stopped work procedure which we could still get paid for. So, where does the money go?

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
LOL the senator from Hawaii flew all the way back home, got a phone call when he arrived from Schumer that he needed to go back to vote and then got on the next flight back to DC.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Which probably should be automatic if the deadline is hit like most other countries in the world. The self inflicted pain we do is so dumb.
Honestly, a "debt ceiling" is the dumbest way to fight increasing debt. It doesn't address the reason why budgets keep ballooning, it just pretends a magical line in the sand, which can be redrawn by the exact same people who make the debt in the first place, can make everything better.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So any white person is imbued with racism at birth?

I agree that there are signals everywhere downplaying non-white skin, however I do believe one isn't immediately corrupted by those. Perhaps confused? A kid would normally ask his/her parents "Why is X thing like that on TV?" and then it is up to the parent to teach good values to the child and how should these signals be interpreted.

IDK, I feels like it's a very generalistic statement. I'm not offended by it, but I do think it's wrong to think that everyone is racist at birth. Humans are clean at birth, it is the world and how it's made that corrupts them, the parents will play an enormous role in how a child will develop.

Nov 30, 2017

IDK, I feels like it's a very generalistic statement. I'm not offended by it, but I do think it's wrong to think that.

I agree that there are signals everywhere downplaying non-white skin, however I do believe one isn't immediately corrupted by those. Perhaps confused? A kid would normally ask his/her parents "Why is X thing like that on TV?" and then it is up to the parent to teach good values to the child and how should these signals be interpreted.

IDK, I feels like it's a very generalistic statement. I'm not offended by it, but I do think it's wrong to think that everyone is racist at birth. Humans are clean at birth, it is the world and how it's made that corrupts them, the parents will play an enormous role in how a child will develop.

No, you aren't born with it in your DNA, but literally from the time you emerge from the womb you're born into a world that will constantly tell you how much better whiteness, and being white by extension, is. But keep pretending to misunderstand for your fun detail.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The slaves who joined in Nat Turner's rebellion engaged in infanticide specifically because if the children were left alive, then they (the slaves) would become these children's inheritance. Racism is more than just not saying the n-word with an r at the end

Oct 25, 2017
All this does is push him further away from your cause. It's not effective, stop.
"If you don't take that back then maybe I WILL stop caring about your rights and fighting for equality for all, that will show you!"

*subconsciously invokes privlage of being a white male that can choose to be unaffected by such things*

🤔

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

IDK, I feels like it's a very generalistic statement. I'm not offended by it, but I do think it's wrong to think that.

It is not at birth but society--starting with media and ending at the dinner table--leads people to a bias that is factually racist. It has been ingrained in white people that there are not part of the "other". Systemic racism is racism nonetheless. There's a massive gulf between violent racism and subconscious racism, but it's all part of the same umbrella.

"Why is there black entertainment television?" "Spanish sounds funny." "I heard that Chinese food is dog meat."

Tell me, have you ever heard a predominantly black neighborhood be called "the rough part of town" from completely innocuous people that would otherwise never say anything bad about another person, regardless of skin color?

You don't have to be violently racist to feel a bias against people that aren't white. It's important to recognize your own biases and do what you can to combat them. Getting defensive when someone calls one of your actions and/or thoughts racist just makes you kind of a dickwad.

Nov 30, 2017
I agree with you there, no need to be aggressive.
But you just said you didn't, and you questioned the validity of what I said, like there isn't the black doll white doll test, like Jane Elliott and all her talks don't exist, like decades and decades of research doesn't exist. You reacted with what you thought instead of what is, and your thoughts literally put black lives in danger, so nice shot with the whole "angry minority" comment too. Any other thoughts you want to share?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

It's barely different from the same fucking fence DHS has been putting up for a decade c/o the Secure Fence Act of 2006.

This is really what it's coming down to. The "wall" has been scaled back to the same stupid fucking fence that's already there.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

I think you're being too literal. Basically we're all going to have at least some subconscious racial biases, especially white people in America, because of all the influences on our developing brains. While parenting can be a major factor, it's also friends, neighbors, relatives, teachers, and all the media you consume.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you just said you didn't, and you questioned the validity of what I said, like there isn't the black doll white doll test, like Jane Elliott and all her talks don't exist, like decades and decades of research doesn't exist. You reacted with what you thought instead of what is, and your thoughts literally put black lives in danger, so nice shot with the whole "angry minority" comment too. Any other thoughts you want to share?

I did not question your point but more like wanted to better understand it and now your twisting my words into some white suppremacist bullshit.

Holy shit can't we discuss without name callings and assumptions? Fuck, I'm on your side for Christ's sake. I'm ignorant on the matter, mostly, I have no idea who Jane Elliott is (but will read on her tonight for sure!) and I'm just willing to learn.

In absolutely no way I meant to downplay your opinion, I said I thought it was wrong and your explained it better is all.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Patty Murray just arrived in the Senate back from Washington, immediately voted no. The motion to proceed on the House Bill is currently 44 ayes and 47 nays.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1076242012201017344

Trump "hates" the Mattis resignation letter, I'm told. But he "hates" the coverage of the letter even more as he doesn't like the suggestion that Mattis, as well as other senior members of the admin, exist as a check on his go it alone impulses.

It hadn't even occurred to me that the Mattis resignation letter would actually cause Trump to feel insulted and insecure, but now that I know it does, it just brightened my day a little to know it inflicted some suffering on him.

This thread is about the potential government shutdown. Get back on topic.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the potential government shutdown. Get back on topic.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Jesus, why wouldn't Trump just sign the deal? It'd already be out of the news cycle and everyone would be happy, even his base.

He's eating Ls left and right these last few weeks.

Putin, Xi, Erdogan, and the Cool Actually Authortarian Club in general are pressuring the shit out of him with leverage.

We're now seeing results from his hangers-on and handlers turning on him in the form of unindicted coconspirator designations, plea deals, further raids, new investigations, etc.

The Murderer's Row of New Dem Chairs in the House has finally sunk thru that ratty old naughahyde couch he calls a head.

He's still a malignant narcissist who MUST punch back since he's having a bad week.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
He's eating Ls left and right these last few weeks.

Putin, Xi, Erdogan, and the Cool Actually Authortarian Club in general are pressuring the shit out of him with leverage.

We're now seeing results from his hangers-on and handlers turning on him in the form of unindicted coconspirator designations, plea deals, further raids, new investigations, etc.

The Murderer's Row of New Dem Chairs in the House has finally sunk thru that ratty old naughahyde couch he calls a head.

He's still a malignant narcissist who MUST punch back since he's having a bad week.
Is it bad to hope the stress gives him a coranary?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Frank Thorp V @frankthorp

Corker votes yes, and Flake changes his vote to a yes.

Doug Jones becomes the only Senate D YES

Frank Thorp V @frankthorp

47-47 with Pence breaking the tie. Motion to proceed to the House-passed CR (w/ $5 billion in border funding) PASSES in the Senate.

Next steps TBD.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

McConnell: Senate voted to proceed "in order to maintain maximum flexibility" to cut a deal on funding at a later time. That's why the Senate voted to take up the House-passed bill. But there is NO agreement on funding. $5B in wall funding has no chance of passage

Erica Werner @ericawerner

Flake: "There is no path forward for the House bill. The only path forward is to a bill that has an agreement between the president and both houses of Congress. And the next time we vote will be on the agreement, not another test vote."

Oct 27, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

McConnell: Senate voted to proceed "in order to maintain maximum flexibility" to cut a deal on funding at a later time. That's why the Senate voted to take up the House-passed bill. But there is NO agreement on funding. $5B in wall funding has no chance of passage

Yup just a bunch of dogs and ponies prancing around

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So this was just the procedural vote. They still have to get to 60 to pass it in full before it can go to Trump.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a vote on the actual bill - the votes in favor are likely to be just to send it to a floor vote (where it will fail) in exchange for a different proposal.