• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...tdown-deal-republicans-negotiated-republicans

President Donald Trump has rejected a plan proposed by a bloc of Senate Republicans who had hoped to break an impasse over the government shutdown, leaving Congress and the White House with little obvious way out of the extended battle over Trump's border wall.
On the 20th day of the shutdown, the GOP group tried to jump start bipartisan talks before Trump declares a national emergency to get his wall. But the president rejected their idea to allow congressional committees to sort out his border wall request while the government reopened, deeming the idea likely to leave him with nothing to show for the shutdown.

What we're left with is a dynamic in which Republicans negotiated a deal with other Republicans, only to be shot down by a Republican president.

So either Trump is really aiming to declare a national emergency, or he doesn't want the government to reopen. I have no clue whats going on considering the GOP cannot even get him to work with them.

Shut me down if old.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Trumps ego won't let him take a loss on the wall. He'll burn down the country before letting that happen.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To the Republicans....
is-this-your-king.jpg

The baby's tantrum has run its course. Do your jobs.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The longer it goes, the more Trump feels he has to have a "win" so yeah, I only see two potential outcomes:
A. Trump declares "national emergency" which will get shot down in courts but he can at least say he "did everything he could"
B. Republicans looking to keep their jobs post-Trump finally decide to just vote things through and override a veto

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump: I want this toy!
Mom: You can't have it, it's expensive and racist.
Trump: I want it now!
Mom: Okay, let's go home first and talk about it.
Trump: I SAID NOW!!!

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Piece of shit.

He is clearly holding employees' paychecks hostage for his dumbass wall, and nothing more.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
The longer it goes, the more Trump feels he has to have a "win" so yeah, I only see two potential outcomes:
A. Trump declares "national emergency" which will get shot down in courts but he can at least say he "did everything he could"
B. Republicans looking to keep their jobs post-Trump finally decide to just vote things through and override a veto

it will be A, we have a turtle in the Senate

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Basically he's saying he knows if they reopen the government to "discuss his wall", he gets no wall in the end.

I'm not sure why they think he'd go for that.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
why don't Republicans just impeach him right now and replace him with push over Mike Pence?

Texans are not going to let this New Yorker use Imminent Domain to take their property.

This is Texas we are talking about which historically was all about land

Oct 27, 2017
why don't Republicans just impeach him right now and replace him with push over Mike Pence?

Texans are not going to let this New Yorker use Imminent Domain to take their property.

I'd like to think so, but if they support Trump, they probably will let him have the land, and then pass over their teenage daughter to thank him.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

they will give the land reluctantly to own the libs

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Adds even more context to the Graham quote from yesterday, in which he claimed that Democrats refused to negotiate.

How surprised I am to learn that he never even began a conversation with Dems, due to being shot down by a President from his own party.

OP
OP
FF Seraphim

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
He wants to ensure he loses re-election.

The problem lies with his support base. They are all backing him up and it is insane. There are people posting how the 5.2+ Billion is nothing and a drop in the bucket considering our GDP and the Dems, yes the Dems, are refusing to play ball.
The only way he will lose is if there is a massive turnout again like in the 2018 mid-terms.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
"Haha, funny thread title typo."

"Oh."

But the president rejected their idea to allow congressional committees to sort out his border wall request while the government reopened, deeming the idea likely to leave him with nothing to show for the shutdown.

Funny how they admit that he's holding the country ransom.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem lies with his support base. They are all backing him up and it is insane. There are people posting how the 5.2+ Billion is nothing and a drop in the bucket considering our GDP and the Dems, yes the Dems, are refusing to play ball.
The only way he will lose is if there is a massive turnout again like in the 2018 mid-terms.

His approval is terrible and getting worse the longer this continues. His base is not enough.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I hate to take any pleasure in this as families go without money/food, but watching those GOP Senators up for re-election in 2020 squirm as their chances dwindle is one solid form of entertainment.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why* they are even looping Trump into this. This is McConnell's shutdown more than Trump's--if you have a President that won't move you're supposed to override his veto, and there are more than enough votes to do that. People should be targeting McConnell if they want a solution.

*they don't want to override Trump's veto and get primaried, but at some point your duty to country is supposed to usurp your personal ambitions

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why* they are even looping Trump into this. This is McConnell's shutdown more than Trump's--if you have a President that won't move you're supposed to override his veto, and there are more than enough votes to do that. People should be targeting McConnell if they want a solution.

*they don't want to override Trump's veto and get primaried, but at some point your duty to country is supposed to usurp your personal ambitions

yup, thr media should show that there is another way to open the government

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Motherfuckers the veto exists for a reason.

McConnell and Co can't turtle out of this one. Do your fucking job.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Basically he's saying he knows if they reopen the government to "discuss his wall", he gets no wall in the end.

I'm not sure why they think he'd go for that.
It begins shifting blame off of the GOP. If both Dems and GOP have tried to at least get the government open, it's purely on Trump. Moreso than it already is.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans look like fucking idiots, even more than usual. It's pathetic, makes you wonder why the fuck they are still playing this baby's games at this point.