• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The problem lies with his support base. They are all backing him up and it is insane. There are people posting how the 5.2+ Billion is nothing and a drop in the bucket considering our GDP and the Dems, yes the Dems, are refusing to play ball.
The only way he will lose is if there is a massive turnout again like in the 2018 mid-terms.

You over estimate his base.

Oct 27, 2017
"What we're left with is a dynamic in which Republicans negotiated a deal with other Republicans, only to be shot down by a Republican president."

Just another reason the Democrats are equally to blame for the shutdown!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This also happened today.

U.S. House passes bill to reopen some agencies shut down in wall fight

The House bill, which passed 240-179 with only a handful of Republicans supporting it, would restore funding for the Interior Department and the Environmental Protection Agency, two of the agencies that have been without funding since Dec. 22 amid the standoff over the proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The bill provides $35.9 billion in discretionary funding, $6 billion above Trump's budget request and $601 million above the fiscal year 2018 enacted level.

Entering its 21st day, the partial shutdown on Friday tied the record for the longest in U.S. history. Some 800,000 federal workers did not receive paychecks that would have gone out on Friday. Some have resorted to selling their possessions or posting appeals on online fundraising outlets to help pay their bills.
HOUSE APPROVES BACK PAY
The House also passed a bill by a bipartisan vote of 411-7 that would provide back pay to federal workers once the shutdown ends. That legislation, which has already been passed by the Senate, now heads to Trump's desk to be signed into law.

Separately, Senator Rob Portman and eight other Republican senators introduced legislation that would permanently outlaw the closing of government operations during budget fights, underscoring the growing frustration in Washington.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a7ee&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is sad.

If the Supreme Court wasn't the carrot dangling above Republicans necks, it wouldn't be long until they would start calling for him to resign.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So your saying they weren't serious and this was purely for optics?

I guess I buy that.
I mean, if it worked it worked. I don't want to say it was purely optics but they weren't going to be surprised when it was shot down.

Anyway, Senator McTurtle needs to be taken out of the picture before anything gets done. He's the biggest barrier and I garauntee you that if the house bills made it to Senate they'd be voted in.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
He wants a big wall with his name on it because he's an insecure shell of a little man.
nah that's not what this in particular is about. this specifically is about not giving in on DACA and other legal residencies. can't have a wall put up in the same bill that you're saying a whole bunch of "illegals" can be here as long as they want.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shutdown is going to be the end of the 6th Party System if the GOP doesn't do their fucking jobs.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Motherfuckers the veto exists for a reason.

McConnell and Co can't turtle out of this one. Do your fucking job.

They can if they change their goals. If they give up on the current incarnation of the Republicans gaining goodwill and write it off as a loss, they change their priorities to "Just take whatever you can while we're still in power, and flee this mess when the house starts to burn down."

Then they'll just wait a few administrations for a new generation of racist Americans to vote Republican again.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Senate needs to kick out McConnell and then pass a veto proof CR. Only way out of this.
This needs to be the messaging every Democrat in Washington, every Democrat voter, every media correspondent and every displaced federal worker needs to be forcing right now. Put McConnell's ass to the proverbial fire. They tried to project with that lame Schumer Shutdown hashtag; take that ball and run with it against the actual perpetrator. Boil that turtle alive until he forces a vote or gets his ass replaced. Don't give him a moment of peace until he yields.

The baby in the White House is a lost cause. Ignore him.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
It's amazing how Trump has put himself into this unwinnable situation. Now, the House can keep passing these bills to reopen and pay employees, only to be ignored/rejected by Trump + Republicans - a truly terrible PR debacle!

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans look like fucking idiots, even more than usual. It's pathetic, makes you wonder why the fuck they are still playing this baby's games at this point.

Oh that's easy. They don't care who is in the White House as long as he or she is a Republican. They've probably been under the impression from the beginning that they can use Trump to pass the laws they want to pass and keep him placated by making him think it was all his idea.

What was a simple campaign tactic to keep Trump on course has become a fixation for him, which I doubt the Republicans ever expected, and he has proven himself time and time again since the election to be extremely difficult to work with and quite frankly pretty egotistical and stupid as well.

So now they're left babysitting a wannabe despot that is testing the limitations of his presidential powers to get what he wants and he is refusing to back down or compromise because his ego won't let him.

I wonder how many of the Republican politicians are praying that Mueller finds something they can use to remove Trump from the White House, but want to keep Trump around until the 2020 elections because he's way more likely to get re-elected than Pence.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...tdown-deal-republicans-negotiated-republicans

So either Trump is really aiming to declare a national emergency, or he doesn't want the government to reopen. I have no clue whats going on considering the GOP cannot even get him to work with them.

Shut me down if old.

Look up the concept of "face."

It's something that drives much of what Xi does in China. Trump is doing the same here.

He doesn't care about any outcome other than saving face.

OP
OP
FF Seraphim

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
It's amazing how Trump has put himself into this unwinnable situation. Now, the House can keep passing these bills to reopen and pay employees, only to be ignored/rejected by Trump + Republicans - a truly terrible PR debacle!

The House keeps passing bills and Mitch won't let them go to floor in the Senate. I am racking my brain over to think if such a thing has happened before in US history and I am coming up empty.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All they have to do is ignore this clown and override him. They've chosen to tie themselves to this sinking ship, it's not a position forced on them. Trump's base that they're terrified of wouldn't be shit if the GOP didn't spend 2 years enabling him

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's easy. They don't care who is in the White House as long as he or she is a Republican. They've probably been under the impression from the beginning that they can use Trump to pass the laws they want to pass and keep him placated by making him think it was all his idea.
With the government permanently shut down they can't even focus on their agenda though. All they're doing at this point is looking really stupid to most voters besides the core Trump base.

I guess they're probably somewhat okay with a long government shutdown since they figure the Democrats will be able to stop most of, if not all of their shit now anyways.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
This needs to be the messaging every Democrat in Washington, every Democrat voter, every media correspondent and every displaced federal worker needs to be forcing right now. Put McConnell's ass to the proverbial fire. They tried to project with that lame Schumer Shutdown hashtag; take that ball and run with it against the actual perpetrator. Boil that turtle alive until he forces a vote or gets his ass replaced. Don't give him a moment of peace until he yields.

The baby in the White House is a lost cause. Ignore him.
This, absolutely. For once we need to ignore Trump and target McConnell who is arguably the larger threat in the scheme of things.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I guess they're probably somewhat okay with a long government shutdown since they figure the Democrats will be able to stop most of, if not all of their shit now anyways.

As far as their critical voting base goes, this is win/win. No matter how bad it gets, they know 30% of America will always blame Democrats no matter what happens. And if they know they'll never get that other 70%, who cares what they think?

Oct 28, 2017
Trump doesnt want a solution. He wants a fight. It makes him feel relevant and in control.

Otherwise its investigations and indictments.