• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

I went to go read about the emergency powers...wtf:

Aiming to rein in this proliferation, Congress passed the National Emergencies Act in 1976. Under this law, the president still has complete discretion to issue an emergency declaration—but he must specify in the declaration which powers he intends to use, issue public updates if he decides to invoke additional powers, and report to Congress on the government's emergency-related expenditures every six months. The state of emergency expires after a year unless the president renews it, and the Senate and the House must meet every six months while the emergency is in effect "to consider a vote" on termination.

By any objective measure, the law has failed. Thirty states of emergency are in effect today—several times more than when the act was passed. Most have been renewed for years on end. And during the 40 years the law has been in place, Congress has not met even once, let alone every six months, to vote on whether to end them.

As a result, the president has access to emergency powers contained in 123 statutory provisions, as recently calculated by the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law, where I work. These laws address a broad range of matters, from military composition to agricultural exports to public contracts. For the most part, the president is free to use any of them; the National Emergencies Act doesn't require that the powers invoked relate to the nature of the emergency. Even if the crisis at hand is, say, a nationwide crop blight, the president may activate the law that allows the secretary of transportation to requisition any privately owned vessel at sea. Many other laws permit the executive branch to take extraordinary action under specified conditions, such as war and domestic upheaval, regardless of whether a national emergency has been declared.

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Graham
Just met with President @realDonaldTrump and his team. It's clear to both of us that Democrats don't want to make a deal and will never support border wall/barriers.

They hate President Trump more than they want to fix problems — even problems THEY acknowledged to be real and serious in the past!

Democrats will do everything in their power to stop Trump in 2020.

Mr. President,

Declare a national emergency NOW.

Build a wall NOW.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1083796405704118272
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1083797038326792192

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately it's on the Senate and House Republicans. They have the power, collectively, to bring this to an end. If Trump won't even work with his own party then clearly he's lost it. So why continue to back him? Oh right, because they're fools.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
National Emergency isn't enough for Trump. Wait until violence starts then he can declare Martial Law, probably Miller's plan.

Last edited:

Exto

Jan 2, 2019
Trump did unite the liberals and finally got them to get off their ass and start voting during mid term. I hope they continue to do so every mid term.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
The longer it goes, the more Trump feels he has to have a "win" so yeah, I only see two potential outcomes:
A. Trump declares "national emergency" which will get shot down in courts but he can at least say he "did everything he could"
B. Republicans looking to keep their jobs post-Trump finally decide to just vote things through and override a veto

Trump will say he won no matter what the outcome is.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Worth noting that this map is outdated as well. Dems won the congressional vote in Arizona, as well as North Carolina (if adjusted to reflect that there was no Democratic candidate in one of the districts, which would have put them over if there was one and they performed like usual).

Gives them a cool 344 electoral votes.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
why don't Republicans just impeach him right now and replace him with push over Mike Pence?

Texans are not going to let this New Yorker use Imminent Domain to take their property.

This is Texas we are talking about which historically was all about land
That would be guaranteeing a huge loss in 2020, probably taking the Senate with it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It was bound to happen eventually. Shit is going to get bad and the GOP are to blame.

Let's not forget Republicans hated him until late in the primaries. It won't be long now when mainstream Republicans will hate Trump and claim to have always hated Trump. Ironically when Romney says it, it's at least half true.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's evident that Trump just wants to keep the Government shut down. After the wall, what else does he really have left to keep that base?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
why don't Republicans just impeach him right now and replace him with push over Mike Pence?

Texans are not going to let this New Yorker use Imminent Domain to take their property.

This is Texas we are talking about which historically was all about land
I've said it once and I'll say it again: If it comes down to seizing land through imminent domain, there will be casualties.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The comparisons between the Star Wars' Prequels and the current day American political cast make me think George Lucas was clairvoyant as fuck all this time and we just took him for granted because we hated Jar Jar Binks as a derogatory cartoony character and all the really bad acting and dialogue.

Yet here we are, witnessing bad acting, bad dialogue and derogatory cartoony politicians.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
i will never understand why Lindsey Graham gave in to Trump like this. I always thought he was an evil asshole, but never I never thought he was an idiot as well.