• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Team MAGA again getting ahead of themselves as they attempt to reassure voter base formed by farmers...

A day after President Trump hailed "a breakthrough agreement" on trade with Europe, European officials said the president and his aides are exaggerating the scope of their new pact.

While Mr. Trump told an Iowa crowd Thursday that "we just opened up Europe for you farmers," officials in Brussels later said he did no such thing.

"On agriculture, I think we've been very clear on that—that agriculture is out of the scope of these discussions," Mina Andreeva, the European Commission spokeswoman, told reporters in Brussels on Friday. "We are not negotiating about agricultural products," added Ms. Andreeva, who was part of the European delegation visiting Washington earlier this week.
Officials on both sides agree that two specific agricultural matters came up. The Europeans said they were already engaged—prior to Wednesday's handshake at the White House—with U.S. counterparts to boost high-quality beef imports from America as part of an effort to resolve a longstanding trade dispute. And they said they would seek to buy more U.S. soybeans, a politically sensitive sector for Mr. Trump, because China has cut imports of the crop in a separate trade tiff.

But European officials say that beyond those two specific areas, they made quite clear during the White House meeting that they would not include any broader discussion of agriculture in the pending talks.

Agriculture is one of the most sensitive and difficult trade questions for Europe, especially for France, and the U.S. and Europe have fought for years over everything from European tariffs to U.S. use of hormones and genetically modified products. They say that when Trump aides tried to broaden the talks from industrial products to agriculture, they threatened to demand the U.S. drop its "Buy American" provisions for government procurement, a non-starter for the Trump administration.
The U.S. side "heavily insisted to insert the whole field of agricultural products," Mr. Juncker told reporters right after the meeting. "We refused that because I don't have a mandate and that's a very sensitive issue in Europe."

Mr. Trump and his aides interpret that differently than their European counterparts. "Our view is that we are negotiating about agriculture, period," U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer told a Senate committee Thursday.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...ope-for-farmers-europeans-disagree-1532714117

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Our European beef, lamb etc is lovely. We don't need you ship your meat over the Atlantic ocean thanks.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Well this is nothing out of the ordinary. Last year when Finland's president was in the White House, Trump told the press how Finland was buying a fleet of F-35's from Lockheed Martin. Of course that wasn't true, Finland is still in the process of evaluating the future fighter fleet and F-35 is just one of the five candidates.

It's similar to this

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Reality =/= Trump's mind

tumblr_ma3v5naJqX1rgnf7go1_500.gif

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
The meat I had in Italy and Albania was some of the best food I've ever had. My girlfriends mother would braise beef in a some kind of sauce and then serve it almost as a stew with spaghetti.

I've never been able to find meat that in the year I've looked.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Its clear that the EU went to deal about everything but agriculture specifically they went there almost just on behalf of the German auto makers but it's Trumps idiots that are now just as desperate to fix the mess they made with the Chinese by trying to unload meat and beans that are piling up in storage into Europe. If the EU throws their farmers under the bus for the sake of the Germans populist right wing movements blaming it on immigrants and threats of leaving the EU are only going to grow larger.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Its clear that the EU went to deal about everything but agriculture specifically they went there almost just on behalf of the German auto makers but it's Trumps idiots that are now just as desperate to fix the mess they made with the Chinese by trying to unload meat and beans that are piling up in storage into Europe. If the EU throws their farmers under the bus for the sake of the Germans populist right wing movements blaming it on immigrants and threats of leaving the EU are only going to grow larger.

I wouldn't worry about EU throwing our agriculture business and farmers under the bus just to sell few more cars into US, says as much in source article. They want protect European agriculture and selling those few more cars just isn't worth the price of flooding market with food goods that people don't want and EU can't be 100% sure about their safety.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The meat I had in Italy and Albania was some of the best food I've ever had. My girlfriends mother would braise beef in a some kind of sauce and then serve it almost as a stew with spaghetti.

I've never been able to find meat that in the year I've looked.

The best horse I've ever eaten was in Italy and was local.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

They're never throwing agriculture under the bus. DOPs and the CAP are fundamental components of the EU.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Speak for yourself, I for one love US beef.

Honestly all this 'keep your food' stuff shows extreme naivete about global supply chains. It's like the people in the USA that think there is any way they can just eat local food (which would crank our carbon footprint up, actually, not down).

Trust us, EU, we are trying to get rid of Trump as fast as we fucking can.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
"Mr. President, Europe will no longer import any American produce."

"So you're saying there won't be any tariffs on American produce, then?"

"I guess that's technically true, but--"

"GET ME THE TIMES RIGHT NOW!"

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Honestly all this 'keep your food' stuff shows extreme naivete about global supply chains. It's like the people in the USA that think there is any way they can just eat local food (which would crank our carbon footprint up, actually, not down).

Trust us, EU, we are trying to get rid of Trump as fast as we fucking can.

Less about naivete and more about sides running into roadblocks in negotiations with zero flex.

Agriculture has always been a tricky subject in trans-Atlantic trade, with both the U.S. and the European Union seeking to protect and advance their industries. It was one of the factors that stalled negotiations on a broad trade agreement launched by President Barack Obama, alongside public procurement and other issues.

At the time, Brussels pressed Washington on geographical indications, or GIs, which protect brands for products such as Roquefort cheese and Parma ham. The U.S. dug in its heels and refused to budge in recognizing GIs that would ban American producers from branding their products with similar names.

And Europe stood its ground on genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, refusing to negotiate access for any American products that hadn't been already approved by the EU. Consumer backlash against what Europeans consider inferior quality U.S. produce coupled with resistance by farmers concerned that big American producers would destroy small, family-owned operations made it doubly difficult for Brussels to meet Washington's demands.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...ope-for-farmers-europeans-disagree-1532714117

One side didn't flex on what is basically recognizing copyrights of sorts and another didn't want to open barn door wide open for untested GMOs. To some extent same dynamic is in play again.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So, in classic Trump fashion, his aides/spokespersons do not understand the meaning of the word word 'no' either.

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One side didn't flex on what is basically recognizing copyrights of sorts and another didn't want to open barn door wide open for untested GMOs. To some extent same dynamic is in play again.

GMOs are literally the most tested foods we have ever, ever eaten. Almost nothing we eat exists in nature. Almost nothing.

People worldwide eat foods that were created by bathing seeds and sprouts in radiation and chemicals, with thousands of random mutations, and they are sold as organic and have insane amounts of untested mutations compared to GMOs.

We literally created a poison potato through 'natural breeding' aka artificial selection. It had to be pulled from the market.

Go home with that argument.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Our European beef, lamb etc is lovely. We don't need you ship your meat over the Atlantic ocean thanks.

And who would buy their genetically enhanced and antibiotics filled meat anyway? Europe is very, very strict in terms of genetic modifications to food. It just doesn't sell. It's not like we ever wanted or needed US product. Nothing can change that.

Oct 25, 2017
He's literally doing all of this just as ammunition for further fascist propaganda. It doesn't matter whether it's real or not to him nor to his base.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
And who would buy their genetically enhanced and antibiotics filled meat anyway? Europe is very, very strict in terms of genetic modifications to food. It just doesn't sell. It's not like we ever wanted or needed US product. Nothing can change that.
I hear there is a country that is about to drop EU regulations and go global.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you talking to me or to EU officials that back in Obama era refused to allow US to flood EU market with every possible GMO produce US has to offer?

Governments do stupid shit due to lobbying and political pressure. Shit, the USA is trying to restrict insect protein foods because of the animal protein lobby. Insanity.

Fuck, governments ban homosexuality. A government trying to control something does not make it good or rational.

Make one convincing argument that GMOs are bad compared to diploids, chemical mutagenic strains, nuclear mutagenic strains, artificial selection, clones, etc.

I'll be waiting.

Spoiler: You can't do it.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of his most prominent tactics.

He claims credit for something that he either didn't do personally, or that never happened at all, and his supporters won't bother to fact-check it, because he's also told them that anything reported by a source he doesn't approve of is "fake news."

This man and his entourage are destroying my country - mind, body and soul.

We used to stand for something. Now we'll fall for anything.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
And what do you think the public opinion of chlorinated chicken (as an example) is in the UK? Even the Brexit lot look down on that garbage.
The british public will swallow whatever the tories give them. See no deal Brexit that is most likely at this point without much outcry.

The british goverment is literally stockpiling food and medicine and there's no public outcry.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I hope no country budges to buy those stupid crops, not because any concern about GMO's or quality but because those idiot farmers who voted a talking hemorrhoid into office have to get what they deserve.