• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump believes in ethnonationalism; to him, Jews belong to Israel. The idea that Americans can be Jewish, and that those Jewish Americans can be pro-American or anti-Israel, is counter to everything as he understands it. In Trump's mind Jews should support the GoP because the GoP supports Israel, their "true" land, which is where he wants all of them to leave for.

Nov 14, 2017
Do you think he wouldn't be slinging this crap anyway? That's my point, I don't think anyone needed to enable the person whose political career was launched from racism and bigotry.

I mean, he started getting hype through Obama birtherism and calling all Mexicans rapists.
You forgot about his antisemitic tweets about Hillary being funded by Jews or when called neo-nazis very fine people. People blaming this on Dems are delusional.
Trump doesn't need help to be anti-semitic. But these comments aren't just more of his personal anti-semitism about his accountants or the like. They are a direct response to criticism of Israel by a select few Democrats.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something like 75% of American Jews are Democrats. Jews have a long and proud history of being involved in leftism and progressive movements. Trump is just so misguided here, even for him. It's obvious, mask-off antisemitism, isn't it?

Also, the Democrats and how their blundering reaction to Omar's comments has given Trump the idea that support for Israel is a wedge issue in the Democratic Party. I don't think there's any indication that this is the case, not yet, and this is just Trump pitching antisemitic hate to his rabid base (including the few Jews who degrade themselves to support him).

Nov 14, 2017
Something like 75% of American Jews are Democrats. Jews have a long and proud history of being involved in leftism and progressive movements. Trump is just so misguided here, even for him. It's obvious, mask-off antisemitism, isn't it?

Also, the Democrats and how their blundering reaction to Omar's comments has given Trump the idea that support for Israel is a wedge issue in the Democratic Party. I don't think there's any indication that this is the case, not yet, and this is just Trump pitching antisemitic hate to his rabid base (including the few Jews who degrade themselves to support him).
Don't mean to be rude, but did you read the article and see the context of this line?
Article in the OP said:
Trump's comments came as he accused Tlaib and Omar of hating Israel and the Jewish people, and he complained that Democrats should also be criticizing them.

"The concept of even talking about this ... of cutting off aid to Israel because of two people that hate Israel and hate Jewish people, I can't believe we're even having this conversation," Trump said in the Oval Office.

"Where has the Democratic Party gone?" he continued. "Where have they gone ... where they're defending these two people over the state of Israel?"

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Do you guys think Pelosi is drafting a bill condemning actual anti semitism or you think that is exclusive to muslims and people of color after they are done with the diversity photo op?

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
God damn he said this back in 2011? Wtf, this guy should have been buried then.
Shapiro has said some absolutely vile and atrocious things about liberal and secular Jews. He doesn't give a damn if "those" Jews are slaughtered. It's his perverse ideology and world view that matters over everything else.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the outrage about Trump saying that American Jews have dual loyalty or are more loyal to Israel from the right wing?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is antisemitism 101, and also shines a light on how ethnonationalist discourse in Israel is ultimately part of the same antisemitism.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Ironically, Trump surrounds himself with the most disloyal, self-hating Jews in existence.

The only thing the Jews who work for Trump worship is the almighty dollar.

The US Jewish community as a whole loathe them.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
says the non jew. this dude is the most racist antisemetic dude out there besides bibi...it goes to show how the far right just tolerate israel on the basis of it being an ideal dystopia and nothing more

I believe the basis is that rapture will only occur once "the Jews" move to the holy land or something.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood Republican Jews/why the Israeli government likes the GOP. I mean, the GOP only wants them to hurry up the Apocalypse. They know that, right?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Trump doesn't need help to be anti-semitic. But these comments aren't just more of his personal anti-semitism about his accountants or the like. They are a direct response to criticism of Israel by a select few Democrats.

Conflating Israel support with Jewish American identity is blatantly antisemitic.

"You're not really Jewish if you don't support Likud and the current status quo with Palestine" is a really, really offensive thing to say. Jewish Americans aren't as dumb as the gaslighting members of Congress and the press would have you believe.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I never understood Republican Jews/why the Israeli government likes the GOP. I mean, the GOP only wants them to hurry up the Apocalypse. They know that, right?

The Israeli government will accept the aid and praise of anyone who overlooks their formation of an apartheid state. America (not just the GOP) has traditionally valued having a non-Muslim, somewhat democratic ally in the region for strategic purposes. The fit is natural. The evangelical angle is icing.

Nov 14, 2017
Conflating Israel support with Jewish American identity is blatantly antisemitic.

"You're not really Jewish if you don't support Likud and the current status quo with Palestine" is a really, really offensive thing to say. Jewish Americans aren't as dumb as the gaslighting members of Congress and the press would have you believe.
I didn't say it wasn't anti-semitic; apologies if my post read otherwise. It's also bloody chum in the water to conspiratorial white supremacists and other hardcore anti-semites, even unintentionally/indirectly. However the motives and context behind these statements is distinguishable from things like his casual anti-semitism, or Soros dogwhistling etc...
...disloyal to what/who?
Israel or Judaism in general (which may be one and the same to him).

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"...like he's the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God."

>

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

"Thank you to Wayne Allyn Root for the very nice words. "President Trump is the greatest President for Jews and for Israel in the history of the world, not just America, he is the best President for Israel in the history of the world...and the Jewish people in Israel love him....

....like he's the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God...But American Jews don't know him or like him. They don't even know what they're doing or saying anymore. It makes no sense! But that's OK, if he keeps doing what he's doing, he's good for.....

.....all Jews, Blacks, Gays, everyone. And importantly, he's good for everyone in America who wants a job." Wow! @newsmax @foxandfriends @OANN

7:34 AM - Aug 21, 2019

Aaron Blake @AaronBlake

Wayne Allyn Root has promoted conspiracy theories including that Las Vegas shooter had ISIS ties, Charlottesville was a false flag, Seth Rich was murdered (by any number of Democrats) and birtherism.https://www.thedailybeast.com/wayne-allyn-root-trumps-rally-opener-is-a-conspiracy-theorist-who-thinks-the-vegas-shooter-was-isis … https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164138795475881986 …

7:46 AM - Aug 21, 2019

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe he wouldn't have made this specific comment without Democrats fucking up. So? Seriously, why should that fucking matter months later when you clearly know what he's saying is bullshit, when you know he'd be trying to paint himself as more supportive of Israel anyways? That's something he was already doing before he even won the election and something Fox News and the GOP have tried claiming for 20 years at this point.

Actually, I'm confused by your comment. You're not even saying this is because Democrats chastised Ilhan Omar, you're saying it's because of her and Talib's criticism of Israel("response to criticism of Israel by a select few Democrats"). Do you think they shouldn't be critical? Do you think Democrats shouldn't have come to their defense when Israel's travel ban was put in place?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Adam Blickstein @AdamBlickstein

[checks notes] Trump quoting an evangelical Christian asserting Jews view Trump as the second coming, which is not a thing in Judaism...

mkbEppB.jpg

8:01 AM - Aug 21, 2019

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's just the US president comparing himself to the second coming of god and king of Israel wtaf

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
How would he be the second coming of god anyway if the messiah hasn't arrived the first time yet for them? This is all too stupid.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Trump quoting a conspiracy theorist stating that he's like the second coming of God, and doubling down on "Jewish Americans don't know what they're doing"... is exactly how I saw this going.

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe he wouldn't have made this specific comment without Democrats fucking up. So? Seriously, why should that fucking matter months later when you clearly know what he's saying is bullshit, when you know he'd be trying to paint himself as more supportive of Israel anyways? That's something he was already doing before he even won the election and something Fox News and the GOP have tried claiming for 20 years at this point.

Actually, I'm confused by your comment. You're not even saying this is because Democrats chastised Ilhan Omar, you're saying it's because of her and Talib's criticism of Israel("response to criticism of Israel by a select few Democrats"). Do you think they shouldn't be critical? Do you think Democrats shouldn't have come to their defense when Israel's travel ban was put in place?
I'm not sure what value judgement you're reading into my claim about Trump's motivation but rest assured it has nothing to do with excusing or supporting him; I'm just pointing out that he very explicitly was talking about the growing criticism of Israel by some Democrats (criticism I agree with). Acting like this is just more of his casual anti-semitism, disconnected from the events that started with the attacks on Omar a few months back is inaccurate.

I agree that Trump would probably be trying to position himself as a better ally to Israel regardless. However I think that efforts to circumvent and change the dominant narratives about Israel are the way to both challenge that claim, critique its overall goal, and attempt to counter both the islamophobia ("Muslims irrationally hate Jews") and anti-semitism ("Jews must be loyal to Israel") that is rampant in the public debate. To that end, I disagree with the response by some Democrats, public figures etc to Omar's comments, but I'd wager I disagree with their stances on Israel/Palestine anyway so I don't necessarily see it as a failure or lapse. However the response is both reflective and affirming of the dominant narratives I mentioned above, and it is in this context that Trump is operating.

To put it another way, I don't think there's a response to Omar's comments from the mainstream of the Democratic party that would have prevented Trump from doubling down on this sort of rhetoric; at most it would probably be the difference between him trying to paint this element as representative like he is now, or claiming that he forced them to deal with the anti-semites in their ranks. But many of the reasons he's doing so and the reasons the response was what it was are shared/intertwined.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"...like he's the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God."

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

"Thank you to Wayne Allyn Root for the very nice words. "President Trump is the greatest President for Jews and for Israel in the history of the world, not just America, he is the best President for Israel in the history of the world...and the Jewish people in Israel love him....

....like he's the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God...But American Jews don't know him or like him. They don't even know what they're doing or saying anymore. It makes no sense! But that's OK, if he keeps doing what he's doing, he's good for.....

.....all Jews, Blacks, Gays, everyone. And importantly, he's good for everyone in America who wants a job." Wow! @newsmax @foxandfriends @OANN

7:34 AM - Aug 21, 2019

Aaron Blake @AaronBlake

Wayne Allyn Root has promoted conspiracy theories including that Las Vegas shooter had ISIS ties, Charlottesville was a false flag, Seth Rich was murdered (by any number of Democrats) and birtherism.https://www.thedailybeast.com/wayne-allyn-root-trumps-rally-opener-is-a-conspiracy-theorist-who-thinks-the-vegas-shooter-was-isis … https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164138795475881986 …

7:46 AM - Aug 21, 2019

This is literally how the book of Revelations describes the anti-christ.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Omar's 'loyalty trope' was directed at herself, that she shouldn't have to be loyal to Israel to be a Congresswoman of the United States, given context of anti-BDS legistlation being a thing against US federal workers. Her statement wasn't at all accusing American Jews of dual-loyalty as critics were constantly twisting it to.

Trump on the other hand is straight saying American Jews should all be loyal to Israel, and those who aren't are bad Jews.
Fucking. THIS! A million times this!!!

nded

Nov 14, 2017
The disloyalty tweet makes more sense now that we know he thinks he's King of the Jews.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what value judgement you're reading into my claim about Trump's motivation but rest assured it has nothing to do with excusing or supporting him; I'm just pointing out that he very explicitly was talking about the growing criticism of Israel by some Democrats (criticism I agree with). Acting like this is just more of his casual anti-semitism, disconnected from the events that started with the attacks on Omar a few months back is inaccurate.

I agree that Trump would probably be trying to position himself as a better ally to Israel regardless. However I think that efforts to circumvent and change the dominant narratives about Israel are the way to both challenge that claim, critique its overall goal, and attempt to counter both the islamophobia ("Muslims irrationally hate Jews") and anti-semitism ("Jews must be loyal to Israel") that is rampant in the public debate. To that end, I disagree with the response by some Democrats, public figures etc to Omar's comments, but I'd wager I disagree with their stances on Israel/Palestine anyway so I don't necessarily see it as a failure or lapse. However the response is both reflective and affirming of the dominant narratives I mentioned above, and it is in this context that Trump is operating.

To put it another way, I don't think there's a response to Omar's comments from the mainstream of the Democratic party that would have prevented Trump from doubling down on this sort of rhetoric; at most it would probably be the difference between him trying to paint this element as representative like he is now, or claiming that he forced them to deal with the anti-semites in their ranks. But many of the reasons he's doing so and the reasons the response was what it was are shared/intertwined.

I think there are some crossed signals here because a lot of posters like to derail (and were derailing this thread) to make it all about blaming Democrats for anything Trump says regarding Jews or Israel. Your post however rightly pointed out that this recent comment is a response to direct criticism of Israel, which led to the Israeli government blocking travel for those critics and led to Democrats defending Omar and Talib. So I wasn't sure what point you were making because when a lot of posters say "this is the Dems fault", they're referring to the earlier claims they made of Omar's comments being anti-semitic and I believe that in this case, that's a bit nonsense.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Trump over here tooting his own goddamed horn typing out praise that says he is the second coming of God...

wtf am I reading

Oct 25, 2017
...disloyal to what/who?

Doesn't matter. The attack on one's sense of honor is sufficient to make the person try to correct for the accusation, rather than calling the accuser an a-hole. Or at least in 1930-40s Germany that worked. Psychology is weird like that.

Adolf Hitler had the exact same kink, and it was mostly successful until it became untenable. See: Der Untergang. It's literally what that "hitler reacts to" - memed scene is about.