• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I made 60k first half of 2019, and I made 85k in the second half. On my 2018 tax return I made 50k. How much of a check would I receive?

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
When I saw the tweet about the 2018 and the lowest income thing that's immediately what I thought too. What if you were just starting to work because of college and whatnot. Or just didn't have a job for some reason in 2018. It's fucking cruel.

It feels like people my age/in a similar situation might get lost in the fold, but I'll remain optimistic for now.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like people my age/in a similar situation might get lost in the fold, but I'll remain optimistic for now.
Hopefully the dems put forth a better bill in the house. I feel like they have the leverage as trump wants something passed as he'll do anything to salvage what's left of the economy right now.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if you have a disabled adult living with you who has never worked? Are they considered an adult or a child?

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I made alot less 2 years ago, so I'd qualify for the 1200. Wonder how many time they plan on doing this tho. Read another article this could take 18 months to clear up.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
It really shouldn't be based off anything because what if you were on track for say 75 but now you could be out of work for weeks to months. Thatll drop your real bracket down. Chris Hayes said send the checks then collect depending on the 2020 income. Like if you make 100k you'll own the 1200

Heisenberg

Oct 25, 2017
What if you have a disabled adult living with you who has never worked? Are they considered an adult or a child?

From the looks of it, they'd be neither an adult or child unless they were a dependent on your 2018 tax filings. If so, you'd get an $500 for that disabled adult. If you made more than $75,000, you'd get way less.

edit: my mistake. Looks like they'd get $600 from the looks of it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Who are we going to borrow the money from for stimulus? Usually it's China but they're in the thick of it with us.

Might have been nice to have had higher taxes the last several years...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
For adjusted gross income, does this mean after adding back the standard deduction per tax return filing?

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
That bill is complete bullshit. Basing on 2018 Tax returns? Really? What if someone lost his job and got a lower paying job since then?

Then you have a situation like mine, where I filled jointly with my wife back then and she didn't have a job. I will benefit greatly because our joint income back then falls beneath the 150k threshold.

This is stupid writing stupid.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really shouldn't be based off anything because what if you were on track for say 75 but now you could be out of work for weeks to months. Thatll drop your real bracket down. Chris Hayes said send the checks then collect depending on the 2020 income. Like if you make 100k you'll own the 1200
Giving money to everyone now and collecting based on a future 2020 return only makes sense if you actually have good intentions writing the bill and genuinely want to help families and the economy. It's being done the current way because it's just being used for optics and political points.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Who are we going to borrow the money from for stimulus? Usually it's China but they're in the thick of it with us.

Might have been nice to have had higher taxes the last several years...

We'll borrow from ourselves like we do most of our debt.
www.thebalance.com

Who Owns the US National Debt?

The majority of the U.S. national debt is owned by Social Security, the Federal Reserve, and foreign investors. Learn how that impacts the economy and you.
Many people believe that much of U.S. debt is owed to foreign countries like China and Japan. The truth is, most of it is owed to Social Security and pension funds. This means U.S. citizens, through their retirement money, own most of the national debt.

U.S. national debt is the sum of these two federal debt categories:

• Public debt – held by other countries, the Federal Reserve, mutual funds, etc.
  • Intragovernmental holdings – held by Social Security, Military Retirement Fund, Medicare, and other retirement funds.

And yeah, could've used higher taxes for most of the last 40 years. Thanks St. Reagan! Thanks trickle down!

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Does passive income count as income for this?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Look at section 6428, on page 35 of the bill.

Is this just a tax credit applied to next year's return? That's what seems to be described there. I don't know though, these things are written obtusely on purpose.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Am I reading this right? I'm a veteran who's been going to school exclusively for the last year and a half, living off of my GI compensation. According to this, I might be looking at $600?
Wait, so if I made $1000 in 2018, I get nothing?
This part of the bill makes no sense to me. Why would veterans and people who make almost nothing be in less need of money than people making $75k?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We can:

1) Borrow from ourselves (our future, basically)

2) Print our way through it.

There are upsides and downsides to both strategies.

devVega

Oct 28, 2017
福島県
I know, that sucks. I was very fortunate to get a scholarship paying for dorm, food, and tuition, so i didn't need to work. Now no aid 😐

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
As expected, this bill pretty much sucks.

Look at section 6428, on page 35 of the bill.

Is this just a tax credit applied to next year's return? That's what seems to be described there. I don't know though, these things are written obtusely on purpose.

I read it 3 times and cannot tell what exactly they mean, as it's written very obtusely as you state. But I'd have to assume even they are not insane enough to have it just be a tax credit applied to next year's return. It has to be a check sent out.