• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Same, $2500 is going to do fuck all of you fall into the bucket where you have been laid off and don't qualify for unemployment. Those people can't be forgotten. $2500 isn't going to replace a 25k, 30k, 40k, 50k a year income. How do you even find another job in the era of quarantine?
Especially when people being fired are losing what little insurance they had.

Sep 14, 2019
You just need to have filed to get the money, right?

I filed this and last year, but I was asked by the IRS for a document before I could get my refund.

Do you all think this would be an issue to receive the stimulus check?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I know three people already who handily make more than $150k/year who have been laid off or are being furloughed indefinitely, and most the ongoing proposals I'm seeing completely leave them out.

I also have a friend who I know for a fact didn't file a tax return last year, but only makes about $30k/year nowadays. She needs that money bad - like always - but honestly probably has a fair bit of job security right now. So she might get screwed, too?

Constraints/means testing on either side I still stand by as a recipe for disaster, anger, and people getting lost in this.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
For the people insisting that the Dems must not cave, would that I was so optimistic that that would be a winning game plan. Sadly, I'm persuaded that a populace rapidly losing job, home, and family will rather behave like Charlie Brown in this comic, and I think the GOP knows that. (Schroeder being the Dems and Violet the GOP here, obviously)

Fi7MTLS.jpg

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I know three people already who handily make more than $150k/year who have been laid off or are being furloughed indefinitely, and most the ongoing proposals I'm seeing completely leave them out.

I also have a friend who I know for a fact didn't file a tax return last year, but only makes about $30k/year nowadays. She needs that money bad - like always - but honestly probably has a fair bit of job security right now. So she might get screwed, too?

Constraints/means testing on either side I still stand by as a recipe for disaster, anger, and people getting lost in this.
Seriously. It lets so many people fall through the massive cracks. If you are going to add any limit Ian has to be wayyy higher or have no limits and then just do a big tax adjustment for high earners next year.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. In 2018 I made enough to not qualify. So far this year I would've made enough by the time the year was up to qualify even before the pandemic took my work away. Shit sucks man.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I won't qualify. Which is fine, but I'm kinda pissed. We make a lot, so I would rather others get it more. But we will still likely lose $15-20k because of this at least.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
how will you lose 20k? Investments?
We aren't laid off, but all of this turmoil has led to my wife losing shifts at some of the casual places she has. She'll get them back, but until then, she's likely losing 2 months worth of her casual shifts.

It's all weird though, because if this spikes and they pull her in she'll be in overtime and be making a lot more. She's a nurse anesthetist, so it's kinda a unique situation.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
What im confused about is... Wtf was the point of the white house negotiations with pelosi? Did I miss that getting approved by the Senate? Is what's in the Senate something different? Why would the white house negotiate with the house if the Senate was going to do it own thing?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We aren't laid off, but all of this turmoil has led to my wife losing shifts at some of the casual places she has. She'll get them back, but until then, she's likely losing 2 months worth of her casual shifts.

It's all weird though, because if this spikes and they pull her in she'll be in overtime and be making a lot more. She's a nurse anesthetist, so it's kinda a unique situation.
Gotcha.

My gf and I both have tech jobs (account manager and product manager) and we feel secure in our jobs, but in the back of my mind I'm always considering if we're just possibly just naive

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What im confused about is... Wtf was the point of the white house negotiations with pelosi? Did I miss that getting approved by the Senate? Is what's in the Senate something different? Why would the white house negotiate with the house if the Senate was going to do it own thing?

Whatever passes the Senate wether it is an exclusively GOP written bill or not also has to pass the House.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a legitimately important point about how to frame what's going on. "Bailouts" is 100% the wrong word here. The businesses were sound prior to us forcibly having to lock them down. (This was also true of the Auto industries under Obama.)

Lace

Oct 27, 2017

She could still late file her 2018 tax return if she withheld enough to cover her tax obligation. However, if she substantially under withheld in 2018 then she'll have more to worry about than getting a 2020 relief check. However, she won't know until she at least prepares a draft return.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This is a legitimately important point about how to frame what's going on. "Bailouts" is 100% the wrong word here. The businesses were sound prior to us forcibly having to lock them down. (This was also true of the Auto industries under Obama.)

I *really* like this point.

Being prepared for a job loss or an unexpected repair or a slowing down economy or a falling market are all reasonable preparedness steps that both individuals and business should anticipate.

But I'm not upset a small business wasn't expecting their government to shut them down for 30+ days with pretty much no warning.

Should big companies be able to weather a storm of 30+ days? Yes, of course they should. But AMC could have never realistically been expected to suddenly need to close all their theaters and watch every movie studio close down production over night, for example.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats are going to struggle to hold the line on these proposed bills for long because the GOP will pivot to "Dems are politicizing the suffering and death". It's not fair but the bulk of this is probably going to end up being a huge corporate giveaway that gets misused.

This makes good points.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Seems like I would end up with money in most scenarios, two kids and income under 100K (does anyone know if it is taxable income? that is way under that) Its going to go straight into savings and I will spend the crap out of it locally when this is all done.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
No bullshit bills.

It has to help the people, and do so overwhelmingly. It can't be 1 trillion for a bunch of companies, and 1 check for some families maybe. The people need to do their best to hold out a little bit longer so that there's at least a shot to pass something that doesn't suck and/or not have it weaponized against the opposition party while they try to help. A reminder that the Republicans only "lost" 47 to 47 here because they were too busy denying, and then getting sickened by, the "coronavirus hoax".

...that said, there's quickly approaching a point where a bad bill is better than waiting. We just need to hold a little longer before giving up (especially since it'll be said the Democrats folded anyway either if there's no bill, or if the bill is anything short of fully automated luxury UBI).

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
So, what about the poor who are jobless and most likely are not filing taxes, they are just completely fucked and not getting a cent, right?

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The initial reaction I'm seeing for dems doesnt seem great but I think the perception passes soon as something gets passed. I do think it needs to be done quickly one way or the other. Confidence in the government is going to eradicate quickly if not and it's not like theres a lot of it to begin with. Tragedy and hardship typically promote rallying though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
People really need to stop taking these figures as gospel because right now there's nothing. Things will be proposed, debated, some things removed, some things reduced. That's how the bill gets through.

The initial reaction I'm seeing for dems doesnt seem great but I think the perception passes soon as something gets passed. I do think it needs to be done quickly one way or the other. Confidence in the government is going to eradicate quickly if not and it's not like theres a lot of it to begin with. Tragedy and hardship typically promote rallying though.

Dems are fighting the right fight, they just continue to be god awful at messaging.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really need to stop taking these figures as gospel because right now there's nothing. Things will be proposed, debated, some things removed, some things reduced. That's how the bill gets through.

Dems are fighting the right fight, they just continue to be god awful at messaging.
We don't have time for that, if they go through the usual process it'll be weeks before this is done. Then people will be starving on the streets

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
If Boeing gets $60Bn, we should take a majority ownership share in Boeing. There is no two ways around that. This is a market economy and that is what Boeing is worth. To do otherwise is...socialesm!!