• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph..._term=.5228bfceb3b4&__twitter_impression=true

On Wednesday, as Republicans were clamoring to make public a secret document that they think will undercut the investigation into Russian meddling, President Trump made clear his desire: release the memo.

Trump's directive was at odds with his own Justice Department, which had warned that releasing the classified memo written by congressional Republicans would be "extraordinarily reckless" without an official review. Nevertheless, White House chief of staff John F. Kelly relayed the president's view to Attorney General Jeff Sessions — though the decision to release the document ultimately lies with Congress.

Kelly and Sessions spoke twice that day — in person during a small-group afternoon meeting and in a phone call later that evening, and Kelly conveyed Trump's desire, a senior administration official said.

Trump and his Republican allies have placed special emphasis on the classified memo, which was written by staff for House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) and suggests that the FBI may have relied on politically motivated or questionable sources to justify its request for a secret surveillance warrant in the investigation's early phase. Democrats have characterized the memo as misleading talking points designed to smear the FBI and said it inaccurately summarizes investigative materials that are also classified.

Trump "is inclined to have that released just because it will shed light," said a senior administration official who was speaking on the condition of anonymity to recount private conversations. "Apparently all the rumors are that it will shed light, it will help the investigators come to a conclusion."

The intervention with Sessions, which has not previously been reported, marked another example of the president's year-long attempts to shape and influence an investigation that is fundamentally outside his control. Trump, appearing frustrated and at times angry, has complained to confidants and aides in recent weeks that he does not understand why he cannot simply give orders to "my guys" at what he sometimes calls the "Trump Justice Department," two people familiar with the president's comments said.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
So Trump wants the release of a politically motivated memo, written by his allies, to discredit the FBI?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope ya'll Americans are ready for the implications if this shit follows through. Like the ICE situation wasn't indication enough.

less

Oct 25, 2017
"Trump Justice Department"

God I want this man behind bars so badly.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't get how anything with Devin Nunes' name on it still has any credibility after the unmasking 'scandal'. This guy is blatantly incompetent, uninformed and biased against the intelligence services he's supposed to oversee but doesn't understand.

So what if Nunes fantasizes in a short memo that the FISA process might have been abused? It's not like the memo is going to contain any receipts because if he had real proof, he could just have referred his findings to Justice and have it properly investigated. The simple fact that this whole 'debate' plays out in the media and is amplified by Russian bot farms suggests it's not going to hold up to due process.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Why is anyone talking to Sessions about a memo regarding the Russia investigation if he has recused himself?

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I don't get how anything with Devin Nunes' name on it still has any credibility after the unmasking 'scandal'. This guy is blatantly incompetent, uninformed and biased against the intelligence services he's supposed to oversee but doesn't understand.

So what if Nunes fantasizes in a short memo that the FISA process might have been abused? It's not like the memo is going to contain any receipts because if he had real proof, he could just have referred his findings to Justice and have it properly investigated. The simple fact that this whole 'debate' plays out in the media and is amplified by Russian bot farms suggests it's not going to hold up to due process.

Well, that is the thing, more and more information about the memo keeps coming out and crumbling whatever little credibility was available.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Lol at Trump thinking this will end the investigation.

It will give Fox News some talking points for a few weeks at best.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Even if the surveillance was 100% politically motivated, that wouldn't change the facts if crimes were committed or get anyone off the hook. You'd just potentially have others to investigate for other crimes too. This whole thing is a big "LOOK AT THIS CAR CHASE"

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

Well said. From what I've read here in the UK, this memo is basically speculation and unproven assertions.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I so want Nunez to go down hard for all of his despicable bullshit. So many shamelessly corrupt assholes in this administration.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Why exactly is Jeff Sessions talking about Russian investigation stuff with John Kelly?

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that Trump has probably been brainwashed by Fox News itself to think the memo would be worse than it actually is which is why the Republicans in congress aren't in favor of releasing it.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of people need to see some jail time and/or have their careers ruined after this is all said and done. This is well beyond "just politics" now.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Reading through the full article this is legit scary stuff.
We're seeing the plan for undermining and then firing Rosenstein/Mueller unfold. The president, from what we've read, is pushing & guiding this first hand, and it's a pattern that's be repeatedly expressed from multiple events, and sources. We're thelma & louise flying off the cliff, but House Republicans are either closing their eyes, or putting their foot on the gas.

BTW why is sessions meeting with Kelly about this Russia memo, isn't he recused from the Russia investigation?

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this one posted earlier, don't know if new thread-worthy but more OOJ.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...-smear-fbi-witnesses-report-article-1.3782875

President Trump not only sought to have special counsel Robert Mueller fired, he also sought to discredit top FBI officials out of fear that they could be witnesses against him.

Following former FBI Director James Comey's testimony before the Senate intelligence committee last June, Trump ordered aides to smear three potential FBI witnesses who could confirm that the President tried to end or influence Mueller's investigation, Foreign Policy reported on Friday.

We are heading towards a full constitutional crisis. Trump is almost assuredly guilty of OOJ and trying to flex his muscles. I doubt he willingly talks to Mueller.

Reading through the full article this is legit scary stuff.
We're seeing the plan for undermining and then firing Rosenstein/Mueller unfold. The president, from what we've read, is pushing & guiding this first hand, and it's a pattern that's be repeatedly expressed from multiple events, and sources. We're thelma & louise flying off the cliff, but House Republicans are either closing their eyes, or putting their foot on the gas.

BTW why is sessions meeting with Kelly about this Russia memo, isn't he recused from the Russia investigation?
This is probably the only reason he wasn't fired long ago.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also kind of ironic how the FBI, an organization that has historically tilted Republican, is now actively being discredited and impugned by the "law and order party" at every turn.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I so want Nunez to go down hard for all of his despicable bullshit. So many shamelessly corrupt assholes in this administration.
Kind of amazing, sad and terrifying how this has all happened. The republicans have been shitheels for a long time but they were at least somewhat trustworthy shitheels. Now it feels like we're well on our way of following Russia into becoming a Mafia/Kleptocrat state.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017

Like all of Trump's team, Devin was a lame duck politician based out of an insignificant area in California. His actions only show that without trump giving him the career boost he is incapable of any higher responsibility. You'll see the exact same with Mike Pence.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo...

What happens if you guys go full Trump Dictatorship? Not that I think that will happen, but....

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sooooo...

What happens if you guys go full Trump Dictatorship? Not that I think that will happen, but....

My guess: a lot of media outrage for a while and then.. nothing happens. Republicans will fall in line, Democrats are still rather powerless. Half the country won't have a problem whatsoever with living in a dictatorship and the other half will fall in line "or else" because there's nothing they can realistically do except maybe make empty threats of secession.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
My guess: a lot of media outrage for a while and then.. nothing happens. Republicans will fall in line, Democrats are still rather powerless. Half the country won't have a problem whatsoever with living in a dictatorship and the other half will fall in line "or else" because there's nothing they can realistically do except maybe make empty threats of secession.

I find it amazing that the conservatives are the purest form of projectors in this country.

Remember when they said Obama was like a king, a dictator, and was going to bring the country down? It's suddenly okay when whitey does it, though.

The same group of people attacking the left for turning the country into a dictatorship by arguing for universal health care seems totally okay with an incompetent neonationalist actually turning it into a yes-man dictatorship.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest surprise to me is that Trump could see a classified memo and then not instantly half-leak it in a tweet.
He's allowed to as well. The President can declassify anything he likes. However, even Trump knows there's nothing in the memo; its only power is making people imagine what could be in it rather than the nothing it actually is.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I want to see comparision of the amount of time Trump spent fighting his own intelligence services compared to external threats like ISIS.