• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So every military intervention is either the Iraq War or not doing anything? Do you hear how ridiculous THAT sounds?

BTW you totally missed the point, it's not even about hitting the targets, it's about the international community showing dictators that you cannot use WMDs

PS: The WMDs in Syria have already been found. In fact, they have already been used.

Oh please, Saddam killed many of his people with chemical attacks, thousands, the West did nothing.

We only went to war much, much later because we thought he had WMD's that could reach us.

The only reason usa and the world is reacting to Syria is because it would look bad if we did nothing because we're already there and we've tried diplomacy to no avail.

If we were not involved there would likely be very little reaction to any chemical attacks.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are going to be ok. I used to be super-afraid of situations like this, but the facts are that the chances nuclear war are very small. Don't live your life in fear. Search for an app called "Smiling Mind", it's free and has some really good meditation programs that are really helpful in times like these.

Thanks for support and messages like these man, for people that need it.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If a good short term takeaway can come from this, the media and the public needs to up the pressure significantly regarding the Syrian refugee crisis, which has fallen completely out of the news cycle. The US numbers for 2017-18 are pitiful, if Trump and Bolton are eager to join the fight we cannot ignore the humanitarian fallout.

As to the side conversation in the thread that's going on, if you find yourself turning into a provocative asshole on a message board that's 95% like-minded because it feels good to lash out to someone, anyone in times of duress - maybe stop posting on the internet during breaking news and just lurk instead.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
What do the people bemoaning this want to happen?

Some chemical weapons facilities were destroyed. At the very least this will delay the slaughter of civilians

Or is this a bad thing?
Lol, nothing is delayed. They will get killed differently and that's that. While also risking to kill civilians with this strike, and risking to escalate the conflict if these strikes arent handled responsibly.

Effnine

Oct 28, 2017
UK said it was a successful attack:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on U.S.-led missile strikes on Syria (all times local):

10:20 p.m.

The British defense ministry says "initial indications" show that the airstrikes against Syria produced a "successful attack" on a Syrian military facility.

The U.K., U.S. and France launched the attacks near Damascus early Saturday. The U.K. ministry says in a statement that while the effectiveness of the strike is still being analyzed, "initial indications are that the precision of the Storm Shadow weapons and meticulous target planning have resulted in a successful attack."

British Prime Minister Theresa May is describing the attack as neither "about intervening in a civil war" nor "about regime change," but a limited and targeted strike that "does not further escalate tensions in the region" and does everything possible to prevent civilian casualties.

May says, "We would have preferred an alternative path. But on this occasion there is none."

Red.Sparrow

Alt account
Banned
Apr 10, 2018
US doesn't care about hitting Hezbollah. They are considered a terror org. Iran is a different story.

The US never struck a single Hezbollah target since the end of the Lebanese civil war, they don't want to open a front with Hezbollah, a direct extension of the IRGC.

They leave that to Israel, but never directly attack Hezbollah, else all of their assets in Lebanon and Iraq are in jeopardy.

Kitad

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
I don't know. That's why it pisses me off that people (on both sides) overreact. This could be ANYTHING as far as I know. Maybe we will know more tomorrow, but more likely we will never know what the real damage was. This is neither good nor bad. Chemical weapons need to be destroyed, but I don't trust US government to locate them. I doubt that this will have any impact on anything.

Two things.

The fact that there were multiple targets proves that this was a bigger deal than last year's strike.

Second, even if they didn't hit ANY chemical weapon, this is the right move. Because at least its telling Assad that there will be consequences if he floats international war rules.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't like a giant squid blowing up in new york and claiming it was aliens to bring peace or some shit.

This literally brings more damage then anything, even if it's bad men with power going against each other

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Peel the onion. Ask yourself what's making you anxious, and then make a rational decision about whether or not it makes sense to be truly anxious/afraid. I'll walk this one through for you:

1. Trump is bombing Syria
a. Russia will retaliate and drag the U.S. and its allies into a greater war
i. There will be massive attacks on both sides, World War III
A. I or people I love will die

That's a pretty easy anxious thought train to fall into. To combat it, challenge these anxious assumptions:

1. Trump is bombing Syria

Yep, this is factual. It's actually happening. But it's not wholesale slaughter of civilians, it's targeting of Syria's ability to launch chemical attacks. Unfortunately there will be civilian casualties.

a. Russia will retaliate and drag the U.S. and its allies into a greater war

This is highly unlikely. The stakes for Russia are too high to warrant entering into direct conflict with the U.S. and/or its allies. All parties involved have no interest in a large war. I doubt they believe they could win, either. The U.S. and Russia have been saber-rattling for decades with no large conflicts.

i. There will be massive attacks on both sides, World War III

Again, it's very unlikely this will go beyond a few isolated strikes. The past century's history indicates this.

A. I or people I love will die

Since this is going to stay yet another conflict prosecuted by the U.S. far from home, the only ones who will die will be the unfortunate Syrians caught in the crossover. Whoever wins, they're the ones that really lose.

So the ones you should really be sad and worried for are the Syrians. Nobody else is getting hurt.

Thanks for this.

Cystm

Trump is a piece of shit. The people the voted for him are pieces of shit and if they still manage to do the mental gymnastics to not see this for what it is: Trump attempting to protect himself by any means Then mother nature needs to hurry the fuck up.

Trump and his enablers are fucking vile and people are going to fucking die because of their fragile, entitled, dumb fucking asses

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When people hate Trump so much, they argue inaction to the use of chemical weapons.

What the fuck am I even reading here? Go and Google "Syria Before and After" to se what Assad did to the country. Go watch the videos of chlorine choking children, see if you feel confortable vomiting your "Blood begets blood" platitudes. Tel that to the MILLIONS of displaced syrians all over the world.

I think the "wait and see" of the last 7 years has gone on long enough. The faster the world is rid of the Assas regime the better.
Is your assertion that the US bombing things helps the people? Can I get some receipts of this working in the last 40 years?

The Farter

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
why would anybody be worried with anxiety? what's wrong people? trump and his buddy putin, he'd never do anything wrong to russia. oy vey.

More than anything this is a political move to show that america will still strong arm countries that break rules and that trump will "do something" and not just spew hot air on twitter. But eh that's just my view on it.
Yeah, this is the thing. People just seem to ignore this. What gives US the right to just act? That's bullshit. But it's cool, this age of being above international law will be over in our lifetime I think - though we'll be old and gray.

Even if these are "we need a distraction and have to save face" strikes.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
UK said it was a successful attack:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on U.S.-led missile strikes on Syria (all times local):

10:20 p.m.

The British defense ministry says "initial indications" show that the airstrikes against Syria produced a "successful attack" on a Syrian military facility.

The U.K., U.S. and France launched the attacks near Damascus early Saturday. The U.K. ministry says in a statement that while the effectiveness of the strike is still being analyzed, "initial indications are that the precision of the Storm Shadow weapons and meticulous target planning have resulted in a successful attack."

British Prime Minister Theresa May is describing the attack as neither "about intervening in a civil war" nor "about regime change," but a limited and targeted strike that "does not further escalate tensions in the region" and does everything possible to prevent civilian casualties.

May says, "We would have preferred an alternative path. But on this occasion there is none."
Excellent news.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're mostly just radical anti-Trumpers, meaning anything he does is wrong no matter what.

I hate Trump personally but can understand when action is necessary.
Yeah, except Trump telegraphed it like a week ago and both Russia and Syria were well prepared. Honestly I don't know what the right solution is, but I would agree that both Obama and Trump are kind of equally "effective" in this crisis...

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What couldn't be more obvious? What are you insinuating?
That you all love to believe and discuss corporate media narratives?

When in history has war ever been portrayed truthfully in the media?

It's hard to sit by and watch people in a bubble, I'm sorry. America has lied and made false claims hundreds of times to go to war. Don't act surprised. America is not the good guy.

Cmon, cut it out with the conspiracies. What we have here is the news agency cutting him off so they can go to commercial. This happens about 500 times a day on every news network.
Can't tell if serious.

Why I am outed as a conspiracy theorist if I don't follow corporate media? I don't trust Era in their knowledge in geo politics.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The enemy of mankind. He is the final boss guys. The president of the United States is the enemy of mankind. Think about it.

We already knew

Gregory-Itzin-Charles-Logan-24-Season-5-Episode-12.jpg

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I think a lot of the more, uh, cautious takes are largely based on the following:
1) The strikes last year did jack shit to protect any civilians. Chemical attacks are fairly regular there, actually! Just that most aren't caught on camera as well as this one was.
2) Syria had days to move whatever they wanted after Trump initially threatened them + we called Russia first.
3) The timing is ridiculous.

Not a single person here is attempting to argue that less chemical attacks are bad or anything.

Ramuh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is a piece of shit. The people the voted for him are pieces of shit and if they still manage to do the mental gymnastics to not see this for what it is: Trump attempting to protect himself by any means Then mother nature needs to hurry the fuck up.

Trump and his enablers are fucking vile.

Sigh... I just can't.

Kitad

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
Oh please, Saddam killed many of his people with chemical attacks, thousands, the West did nothing.

We only went to war much, much later because we thought he had WMD's that could reach us.

The only reason usa and the world is reacting to Syria is because it would look bad if we did nothing because we're already there and we've tried diplomacy to no avail.

If we were not involved there would likely be very little reaction to any chemical attacks.

There should be consequences for henious actions, even in war.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at this point the argument that we've seen what "do nothing" does, so try the other option is completely reasonable.
This is doing nothing.

Even in the Pentagon briefing they stated that there are many more sites that we didn't hit because of Russian troops. So we blew up a few chemical weapons, and killed some civilians just for Assad to continue to use them.

He's been using them since we hit them the last time. He uses them repeatedly. Either we go to war or we let Assad win. Any in-between is cosmetic.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two things.

The fact that there were multiple targets proves that this was a bigger deal than last year's strike.

Second, even if they didn't hit ANY chemical weapon, this is the right move. Because at least its telling Assad that there will be consequences if he floats international war rules.
The targets could literally be empty fields. This tells me nothing. Also Assad doesn't give a shit. I don't know what the right solution is, but I really don't know enough to feel strongly about some random bombing... Russia being pissed always makes me happy though...

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So is this going to be something similar as to last year's missile strikes? Just a show of force that only does either short-term and/or minimal damage against Syria's forces?

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is doing nothing.

Even in the Pentagon briefing they stated that there are many more sites that we didn't hit because of Russian troops. So we blew up a few chemical weapons, and killed some civilians just for Assad to continue to use them.

He's been using them since we hit them the last time. He uses them repeatedly. Either we go to war or we let Assad win. Any in-between is cosmetic.
The world is not binary like that.

hechicero

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
TEXAS
Trump needed a distraction of his ass from the last couple days. Before drumf became president i hated assad and he nedded to be removed this makes me feel no different on him.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Becoming more obvious it was a chlorine gas attack, which CNN pointed out has been used dozen of times in the last year with no repercussions.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
ABC News @ABC

JUST IN: Russian Ambassador to U.S. on Syria strikes: "The worst apprehensions have come true...We warned that such actions will not be left without consequences."

"The U.S.—the possessor of the biggest arsenal of chemical weapons – has no moral right to blame other countries."

Russia in USA @RusEmbUSA

Statement by the Ambassador Antonov on the strikes on #Syria:
A pre-designed scenario is being implemented. Again, we are being threatened. We warned that such actions will not be left without consequences.
All responsibility for them rests with Washington, London and Paris.

Kitad

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
The targets could literally be empty fields. This tells me nothing. Also Assad doesn't give a shit. I don't know what the right solution is, but I really don't know enough to feel strongly about some random bombing... Russia being pissed always makes me happy though...

His base at Breitbart and pol also seem to be fucking pissed so that's a plus as well

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions for how to calm down? I have an anxiety disorder and I'm getting sweaty and short of breath reading all of this. I know I'm being irrational, just really scared right now.

Hey. I have PTSD and anxiety, and this is not causing me any painc at all.

What are you afraid of?

You are going to be fine. I'm not saying this event is nothing, but right now you are fine.

I completely understand how you are feeling. Stop reading the thread it's full of genuinely alarmist people.

The strikes have happened. People are dead.

You are fine.

Tomorrow take a break from era, and the news. Realize that you worrying will not change the corsre of geopolitical nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.