• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
If it's already internationally known as both covid 19 and coronavirus, there is no reason it needs another two names such as wuhan virus and Chinese virus. Aside from being racist, its just needlessly confusing.

But then again, when has racism ever needed to be logical?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
China is not trying to pick a fight with America, America is trying to pick a fight with China.

You can see it in this forum, we have Chinese people here, they don't come in with hot takes about Americans.

I don't think either are 'picking a fight' as such, they are both holding each other up as boogeymen for the own internal messaging. It's the same when Chinese foreign ministry spokesman tweets claim US military brought coronavirus to Wuhan. It's really like 1984, they're both deflecting blame and stoking up nationalism.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta hand it to Trump, he's excellent at PR.

National disaster of his own making and already shifted the conversation to his favoured grounds.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't why it's 'racist' to identify the virus with the place it originated from? i don't even believe in it's stigmatic potential :/

Oh, well if you don't believe it'll cause a stigma that's ok then. The WHO must be wrong. It's not like there's been a rise in attacks on Asian ethnicities.

I'm sure Trump pivoted to emphasising this name he's never used before that reflects badly on country he's repeatedly started fights with for no reason. He certainly doesn't have a history of using racism to deflect from his failings.

Nice scare quotes btw.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
It only shifted when the market went back to Obama's numbers. He needed the media to talk about his racism more than losing Obama's market momentum. He does it all the time. Deflect with racism!

Dude needs to go... the president is a legit troll. I can only imagine if this whole thing originated in Niger.

He is too dumb to do the right thing. All you need to be is compassionate.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Racist stays racist. This motherfucker can't even be decent in a pandemic he had a hand in growing, at least in the states. If he'd not claimed it was a hoax and took it seriously we'd not be in this mess. So fuck him and that wannabe Nazi Stephen Miller. You know he's the one pushing all this shit.

And Cornyn, typical racist trash. Ignorant of the facts. It'd be an amazing amount of karmic justice if he and Trump had to announce they were self isolating.

Last edited:

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I see no real issue with calling it the Wuhan virus considering that is where all the evidence is pointing towards. There are people who object to this labelling, and I think that unfortunately undermines the valid criticisms of labelling it a Chinese virus.

It's called Covid-19, it already has a name.

And yes, calling it Chinese virus is racist as fuck.

But hey, racism towards all Asians, especially East Asians is apparently accepted.

Oct 30, 2017
When someone calls this Virus the "China Virus", the "Kung Flu", etc.. They do realize that they're not making any meaningful jabs at the Chinese government, right? Just hurting ordinary people. 20+ Million in the United States.

Then again.. that generally seems to be the point.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Racist stays racist. This motherfucker can't even be decent in a pandemic he had a hand in growing, at least in the states. If he'd not claimed it was a hoax and took it seriously we'd not be in this mess. So fuck him and that wannabe Nazi Stephen Miller. You know he's the one pushing all this shit.

And Corbyn, typical racist trash. Ignorant of the facts. It'd be an amazing amount of karmic justice if he and Trump had to announce they were self isolating.

Somewhere a brain cell will fire off and you'll realise the leading party is 1000x more racist. Well, unless you dont count racism against muslims, asians etc

Think this is a typo for Cornyn, the senator...

Lmao, that's got to be one of the most unfortunate typos I've seen in a while

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
When someone calls this Virus the "China Virus", the "Kung Flu", etc.. They do realize that they're not making any meaningful jabs at the Chinese government, right? Just hurting ordinary people. 20+ Million in the United States.
They aren't really trying to take a jab at their Government, just Chinese people in general to get the dopamine hit of "We're better than those people."

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
I mean there is a reason of why we don't call H1N1 american's flu.

Yet, somehow I think if it was called Yankee-Flu then it wouldn't affect Americans much. American is not even close to being a "race", but Chinese definitely is very close in many people's minds and has a huge negative impact on how (racist) people see them when anything negative is associated with "China".

It seriously made me sick when Trump doubled down on it yesterday and tried to make that reporter repeat "Kung-Flu". I really wish the people standing behind him would've just walked off stage. Everyone is relieved when Dr. Birx or Anthony Fauci walks up there and starts talking.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta hand it to Trump, he's excellent at PR.

National disaster of his own making and already shifted the conversation to his favoured grounds.

Exactly. I have been struggling with trying to figure out Trump for years. Shifting the discussion to such a contentious and toxic area is brilliant. We're all here talking about what is/isn't racism now which just distracts from his larger failings.

Was it intentional though? I just don't know. He's so, so, so dumb that it's hard to believe. It's more likely he's just flat racist or completely oblivious and uncaring about what racism actually is or how it affects people. Basically, he's dumb in all the right ways to accidentally appear to be a PR genius. The thing is... he's been dumb in exactly all the right ways consecutively for almost 4 years now.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted?

twitter.com

The Hill on Twitter

“Sen. John Cornyn: "China is to blame because the culture where people eat bats & snakes & dogs & things like that, these viruses are transmitted from the animal to the people and that's why China has been the source of a lot of these viruses like SARS, like MERS, the Swine Flu."...

Fuck Cornyn.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
This is only the...thousandth time they've pulled this Reflexive Control methodology to create a fight they want to fight than to face defeat in a fight they're already in THEN point fingers for the subject being a thing at others.

The longer the waits for tests...

The higher the death toll grows...

The lower the stock markets drop...

...the worse it'll get. Newsies need to stop taking the bait. They dodge, repeat.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't why it's 'racist' to identify the virus with the place it originated from? i don't even believe in it's stigmatic potential :/
we had in the previous years:
- MERS "Middle eastern respiratory syndrome" originated in: Middle East
- "Rocky mountain spotted fever" originated in: USA
- Lyme - German measles - Japanese encephalitis - Alkhurma hemorrhagic fever
- Waardenburg - Mediterranean fever, Malta fever, Cyprus fever...........
Are you trying to help that motherfucker get away with this?
Seriously, I don't get some people here, don't you see what he and the GOP are doing?
He's trying to deflect blame for his incompetence and he's doing it in a way that will get people killed.
We don't need to "but actually" this, we don't need to squint super hard to see if he maybe has a point, we really really really don't.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yet, somehow I think if it was called Yankee-Flu then it wouldn't affect Americans much. American is not even close to being a "race", but Chinese definitely is very close in many people's minds and has a huge negative impact on how (racist) people see them when anything negative is associated with "China".

It seriously made me sick when Trump doubled down on it yesterday and tried to make that reporter repeat "Kung-Flu". I really wish the people standing behind him would've just walked off stage. Everyone is relieved when Dr. Birx or Anthony Fauci walks up there and starts talking.

We should just call H1N1 the White People Flu since it originated from White Meat.

Sorry for the bad joke, but this racism is just so tiring.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
WHY DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND CHINESE =/= CHINA

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Even if we pretend it's not racist and completely remove racism from the conversation (even though it is) it's still just a dumb as fuck thing to say ??? Where it's from is irrelevant and it's not like he or anyone else doesn't know the actual name.

What is the purpose of saying this phrase and defending it besides being an edgebro that wants to trigger people and laugh about it ? Which is a class A cunt thing to do at any time, and many times worse to do right now, about this

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if we pretend it's not racist and completely remove racism from the conversation (even though it is) it's still just a dumb as fuck thing to say ??? Where it's from is irrelevant and it's not like he or anyone else doesn't know the actual name.

What is the purpose of saying this phrase and defending it besides being an edgebro that wants to trigger people and laugh about it ? Which is a class A cunt thing to do at any time, and many times worse to do right now, about this
It's an attempt to deflect blame toward, which is what shitty right winger always do when they fuck up.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
In before it's Chinese Democrats who released this into the wild to make Trump look bad.

...Well I'm too late to claim that I'm in before.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

Good news everyone, it's working.

Awesome news, since he hasn't done jack shit except spew inaccurate information.

Any positive response I've experienced has come from my state, my locality, or my employer (which acted very proactively to get us all working from home). Fed govt has been beyond useless.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
The sharpie is back at work:
ETfa0B-XQAIg63A

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The WHO in 2015 detailed this as racist. Full Stop. They do not name viruses based on region anymore and trump should not be using any other name than COVID-19.

HO today called on scientists, national authorities and the media to follow best practices in naming new human infectious diseases to minimize unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people.

"In recent years, several new human infectious diseases have emerged. The use of names such as 'swine flu' and 'Middle East Respiratory Syndrome' has had unintended negative impacts by stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors," says Dr Keiji Fukuda, Assistant Director-General for Health Security, WHO. "This may seem like a trivial issue to some, but disease names really do matter to the people who are directly affected. We've seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals. This can have serious consequences for peoples' lives and livelihoods."

WHO issues best practices for naming new human infectious diseases

WHO today called on scientists, national authorities and the media to follow best practices in naming new human infectious diseases to minimize unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people.