• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any statistical data is notoriously falsified. In the first few weeks the daily numbers given to WHO could be predicted by people days in advance, as the increase used to same ratio day on day for a while.

When a tendency follow a good mathematical model is easy to predict the number.
It don't mean the data is false.

Plus everyone known that those were confirmed number, not currently infected number. It was indicated the suspect number was higher.

Jan 10, 2018
I'm not making "charitable interpretations" as the guy involved political motivations are abundantly clear. The fact however remains that Chinese dictatorship was at fault due to their months long cover up.

I live in denial as much as you, but reading chinese virus by a Fox News twitter account as Chinese dictatorship was at fault due to their months long cover up, is a charitable interpretation.

Glad someone said it first

Its still nonsense.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Superb. And like with all threads about China's experience with the pandemic, it attracts the same nonsense about how there's no practical differences between what Wuhan's local government did and what the national government, let alone the local governments of other cities, did.
As long as we don't talk about how our own government is fucking it up it's totally worth it.
And hey, if some Asian people get some hate crimes, that's fine, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
As long as we don't talk about how our own government is fucking it up it's totally worth it.
And hey, if some Asian people get some hate crimes, that's fine, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.
Can already imagine the loons stamping their feet for sanctions, trade war, and clean n-yukes.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Well no evidence has pointed out that authorities knew about a new virus from test results on November 17th. While information trickled out in January of a virus outbreak to the free world outside, inside China any information about it was covered up and any news reporting about it was forbidden. I visited China on January 18th for example, and literally NO ONE had heard about it! When finally the Wuhan lockdown happened media was allowed to report about a new virus outbreak. It is this cover-up that is the source of the world pandemic.

That's not true though, Chinese Wuhan doctor 張繼先 believe it was a unknown type of SAR and learn about it on Dec 26, and reported to her hospital and they to the China CDC, and the first sample result was only made on 12/27 and found to be similiar to SARS
And after confirming at least 27 case, the Chinese government informed WHO on 12/30(31st in WHO time)
"On 31 December 2019, WHO was informed of a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China."

Novel Coronavirus

In our Taiwan experience, we heard of a possible new SAR in mid/late december, and China allowed our own CDC expert to visit Hunan and see the situation for themselve, and after returning immediately activated our SARS plans and strategy.

And started screening on 12/31 for people that had stopped or passed through Hunan, goign through 633, and catching 6 with possible sympton.
I think that China actually allowing our Taiwan doctor to visit Hunan show that they aren't really trying to hide it as much

foreignpolicy.com

Fear of China Made Taiwan a Coronavirus Success Story

Taiwan has 10 million masks a day, widespread tracking, and just 1 death despite being close to the outbreak.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Honestly I've given up with ERA and any Asian-related topics, the incredible racism and othering here belies how fucking empty and meaningless the words of white liberals are.
Case in point, how quickly people here and in the mainstream okay sinophobic racism due to their dislike of the CCP and then they pull the some shit like screaming "Fuck China" while ignoring that this rhetoric is getting disapora Chinese beaten and harrassed on the streets and online.
I've been accused of being a Chinese spy here lol

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I visited China on January 18th for example, and literally NO ONE had heard about it!

Uhm what?

百度安全验证

百度安全验证

百度安全验证

百度安全验证

On Baidu the search for 冠状病毒 started becoming huge at the beginning of January according to index.baidu.com

On Weibo the mentions started around the same time. Furthermore around 8th January more and more search queries for masks popped up.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be some kind of way we discuss how the Chinese government is held to account for how their policies and response to coronavirus has put the rest of the world at risk, while also not inflaming racist rhetoric.

Yeah, but not in this thread, and not from the country that fucking facebooked itself into resurrecting the measles.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Uhm what?

百度安全验证

百度安全验证

百度安全验证

百度安全验证

On Baidu the search for 冠状病毒 started becoming huge at the beginning of January according to index.baidu.com

On Weibo the mentions started around the same time. Furthermore around 8th January more and more search queries for masks popped up.
Clever Chinese might have started talking about through rumours online, but as a whole thevast majority was unaware due to the media blackout on the subject.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
That's not true though, Chinese Wuhan doctor 張繼先 believe it was a unknown type of SAR and learn about it on Dec 26, and reported to her hospital and they to the China CDC, and the first sample result was only made on 12/27 and found to be similiar to SARS
And after confirming at least 27 case, the Chinese government informed WHO on 12/30(31st in WHO time)
"On 31 December 2019, WHO was informed of a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China."

Novel Coronavirus

It's true though, November 17th, see this article:
www.scmp.com

Exclusive: China’s first confirmed Covid-19 case traced back to November 17

Government records suggest first person infected with new disease may have been a Hubei resident aged 55, but ‘patient zero’ has yet to be confirmed.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
When a tendency follow a good mathematical model is easy to predict the number.
It don't mean the data is false.

Plus everyone known that those were confirmed number, not currently infected number. It was indicated the suspect number was higher.
I hope you don't believe this yourself. They literally arrested and disappeared people for reporting on a new virus outbreak. You really think this kind of regime leads to accurate numbers reporting?

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Ebola= River in Congo
Zika= Forest in Uganda

Interesting that it's okay when it originates from Africa, but xenophobic if it is anywhere else
Except that's ignoring very specific context. Ebola was named after the river explicitly to prevent people from stigmatizing the town it was discovered and the Congolese people for example. Ebola's official name is Ebola Virus Disease, because they traced it to a specific water source—not all that different from West Nile Virus. Nobody named those viruses in a way to disparage the people in those regions and they often tried to avoid doing that.

This also avoids the fact that the COVID-19 virus already has a name; SARS-CoV-2. Trying to rename SARS-CoV-2 the "China/Wuhan Virus" is specifically trying to disparage people from that region. That's the major problem. They're weaponizing the name of a viral disease specifically to discriminate. It would be like calling Ebola (which was discovered in 1978) the "Congo Virus" in 2020 while running a segment about how the Congo is to blame for the outbreak.

Edit: Also, as someone pointed out, the WHO stopped naming viral diseases after regions because they realized the stigma was unavoidable. Given your two examples; Ebola was isolated in 1978 and Zika in 1947 (West Nile in 1937, Lassa Fever in 1969, etc.), well before the guidelines were changed.

Last edited:

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Don't let Trump get away with it. Americans should always remember that it was Trump's lack of leadership which has brought them into this mess.

Oct 27, 2017
Ebola= River in Congo
Zika= Forest in Uganda

Interesting that it's okay when it originates from Africa, but xenophobic if it is anywhere else

I don't know what the context or origin is for naming those viruses, but in this instance when you have a fucking idiot windbag like Trump calling it the 'Chinese virus' he 100% means it in a racist, xenophobic sense.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Clever Chinese might have started talking about through rumours online, but as a whole thevast majority was unaware due to the media blackout on the subject.

Xinhua - literally Chinese state media - had been reporting on it since at least early January: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...new-coronavirus-it-investigates-mystery-wuhan

You're bullshitting that you were there on Jan 18 and people didn't know about it because of a media blackout.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
It's true though, November 17th, see this article:
www.scmp.com

Exclusive: China’s first confirmed Covid-19 case traced back to November 17

Government records suggest first person infected with new disease may have been a Hubei resident aged 55, but ‘patient zero’ has yet to be confirmed.

You didn't read through it did you?

They only realize that by backtracking.
The article itself stated Dec 16 and Late December
"Dr Ai Fen, the first known whistle-blower, told People magazine in an interview that was later censored, that tests showed that a patient at Wuhan Central Hospital was diagnosed on December 16 as having contracted an unknown coronavirus. "

"Accounts by other doctors seem to suggest the medical community in Wuhan became aware of the disease in late December. "

So no, no one knew in November, it was suspected in mid~late december, when our Taiwan CDC heard of it and sent their own people to investigate, which other nation also had the ability and option to do, which they choose not to, which is not the fault of China "hiding" anything.
And we were able to start screening people on 12/31.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you don't believe this yourself. They literally arrested and disappeared people for reporting on a new virus outbreak. You really think this kind of regime leads to accurate numbers reporting?

I'm not gonna assume that the number are not good just because i don't trust the government.
They are confirmed by other sources.

The issue with free press were to contain political damage, nothing gained there tweaking the number after the outbreak gone out of control.
As far as we known

No they did not hide it for months.
No they did not hide number from WHO.

Yes they underestimated the issue. (this combined with the stuff about the first few one that launched the alarms)
Yes the wild animal farming must end, and this should be somehow monitored after (also helping those people who will lose the job for it)

Everything else you said is more based on your feeling of "They must of course hiding something".

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This dunce will take any opportunity to pander to his pathetically hot-headed and narrow minded base.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Xinhua - literally Chinese state media - had been reporting on it since at least early January: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...new-coronavirus-it-investigates-mystery-wuhan

You're bullshitting that you were there on Jan 18 and people didn't know about it because of a media blackout.

You quote SCMP which is located here in Hong Kong. You also realize Xinhua has a branch for internal news and one for outside news? The news was hidden and at best downplayed, whistleblowers were arrested and or disappeared. Also please stop calling me a liar, was in Shanghai from Dec 18th untill Dec 21st. NO ONE I met (I was for example at a huge Banquet with my customers) had heard any news about any virus or goings on in Wuhan.

As one of many examples:
edition.cnn.com

Wuhan hospital announces death of whistleblower doctor Li Wenliang

Li Wenliang, the Chinese whistleblower doctor who warned the public of a potential "SARS-like" disease in December 2019, has died, according to Wuhan Central Hospital. The confirmation follows a series of conflicting statements about his condition from the hospital and Chinese state media outlets.

Magni

It is racist rhetoric, my point is nobody gave a shit when it was directed towards Africans, which is par for the course

I knew about Ebola, but I'd assumed Zika was a South American name, not an African one... TIL.

There's quite a difference between Ebola virus and Congo virus. And the naming guidelines have changed since the 70s. The next epidemic to come from Africa will get a geographically-neutral name just like covid-19, and only racist idiots like Donald Trump will be calling it "the African virus".

See also, what was briefly called Four Corners virus, or most famous of all, Spanish influenza (which didn't even originate in Spain and never got renamed).

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I've given up with ERA and any Asian-related topics, the incredible racism and othering here belies how fucking empty and meaningless the words of white liberals are.
Case in point, how quickly people here and in the mainstream okay sinophobic racism due to their dislike of the CCP and then they pull the some shit like screaming "Fuck China" while ignoring that this rhetoric is getting disapora Chinese beaten and harrassed on the streets and online.
I've been accused of being a Chinese spy here lol

You act like Asians can't hate China when in fact nearly every Asian country does.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

And that it doesn't support your opinion of hiding it for months?
That the november case was back tracing?
That it was only found to be a new SARS in mid to late december, and WHO was informed on 12/30~31?

That your claim there was a media black--out, yet my country, Taiwan was able to send their own expert over to Hunan to get first hand experience of the incident, and come back and immediately start our SARS protocal on 12/31?

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
And that it doesn't support your opinion of hiding it for months?
That the november case was back tracing?
That it was only found to be a new SARS in mid to late december, and WHO was informed on 12/30~31?

That your claim there was a media black--out, yet my country, Taiwan was able to send their own expert over to Hunan to get first hand experience of the incident, and come back and immediately start our SARS protocal on 12/31?
Yes, please read my posts. There is a huge difference in what is reported to the outside world then it is domestically. In Hong Kong first reports also came in around late December, meanwhile in China whistleblowers were being disappeared and reports silenced.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You quote SCMP which is located here in Hong Kong. You also realize Xinhua has a branch for internal news and one for outside news? The news was hidden and at best downplayed, whistleblowers were arrested and or disappeared. Also please stop calling me a liar, was in Shanghai from Dec 18th untill Dec 21st. NO ONE I met (I was for example at a huge Banquet with my customers) had heard any news about any virus or goings on in Wuhan.

What does SCMP being in Hong Kong have to do with anything? Let's be very, very clear here. You said that you were in China on January 18th:

While information trickled out in January of a virus outbreak to the free world outside, inside China any information about it was covered up and any news reporting about it was forbidden. I visited China on January 18th for example, and literally NO ONE had heard about it! When finally the Wuhan lockdown happened media was allowed to report about a new virus outbreak. It is this cover-up that is the source of the world pandemic.

Now you're saying you were in Shanghai in December, a month earlier than you originally said.

You said that in mid-late January, there was a state media blackout that meant people who aren't "clever Chinese" were unaware about the virus.

State media was reporting deaths from the new virus on Jan 10:

www.nytimes.com

China Reports First Death From New Virus (Published 2020)

The coronavirus, which surfaced in the city of Wuhan, has put the region on alert, but there is no evidence that it can spread among humans.

If you think Xinhua was only telling people outside China about the deaths: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...us-in-china-dies-after-outbreak-idUSKBN1ZA00D

The Wuhan Municipal Health Commission was issuing statements and advice to Chinese people on Jan 11.

So again to be clear, this is bullshit:

While information trickled out in January of a virus outbreak to the free world outside, inside China any information about it was covered up and any news reporting about it was forbidden. I visited China on January 18th for example, and literally NO ONE had heard about it! When finally the Wuhan lockdown happened media was allowed to report about a new virus outbreak. It is this cover-up that is the source of the world pandemic.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just had this crazy idea that may be multiple things are true at the same time:

1) Trump is a racist shit bag who is trying to dodge responsibility, hide his own incompetence and gain long term electioneering advantage by calling this a Chinese virus
2) Given the CCP's authoritarian nature, initial coverup/suppression, and current attempts to shift blame outward may all serve to form a narrative which would benefit it in the long run
3) While those two things being comparable, they are not equivalent and the jury's out on which is worse

I know it sounds very radical but its almost like there are no good guys and world is a lot more gray than we like it to be

/s

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
My sister was spat on and accused of having the virus while on the bus in LA. My niece that works at Vons telling me she has customers refusing to let her bag their groceries. And my buddy house got egged. All in the span of a week. Yeah this is gonna make it better...

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in China right now and I remember hearing about it from my girlfriend and friends here before the 18th of January.

And fuck Trump.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Yes, please read my posts. There is a huge difference in what is reported to the outside world then it is domestically. In Hong Kong first reports also came in around late December, meanwhile in China whistleblowers were being disappeared and reports silenced.

I don't understand what you are claiming at all.

There was no conspiricy to hide this disease for month, as can be seen by my country response to it.

The failure of other country to take necessary precaution is their own mistake, not malice or conspiricy on China hiding information, which you claim for month, and your own source completely say different.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I don't know what the context or origin is for naming those viruses, but in this instance when you have a fucking idiot windbag like Trump calling it the 'Chinese virus' he 100% means it in a racist, xenophobic sense.
It was standard practice to name viruses after broad regions they were discovered in years ago. Ebola was named after the Ebola River because the first isolated case was discovered in a village near that River in 1978. They often chose to avoid naming the virus after specific towns/countries—Ebola was named after the River specifically to avoid stigmatizing the village. Zika was named after a Ugandan Forest when it was isolated in 1947. In the last ~40 years the WHO has stopped naming newly discovered illnesses this way specifically to avoid the xenophobia that could be attached to it.

TonyMartial11

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
Ebola= River in Congo
Zika= Forest in Uganda

A friend has a massive bug about MERS Covi being quite obviously being associated with the middle east, camels etc

And feels COVID should have been clearly named Chinese COVID

Hes obviously a muppet

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Eh, there is definitely *some* suppression of information initially (during early - mid January) about the number of cases and the possibility of human-to-human transmission. Dr. Li was reprimanded for saying "it is SARS-like", though the authority didn't deny it's a new virus outbreak.

It's mostly semantics but I think it's worth it to make things clearer.

The reactions from outside of East Asia has been really slow as well, and they vastly underestimated how quickly it could overload a healthcare system. They have like a month to prepare, no?

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this whole finger pointing. The wet markets got especially popular because of influencer and anti vaxxer advertisements and how good some products are for your health, skin and what not. Also, even if the virus started in China, the whole world had enough time to prepare and respond. But the whole world just watched with some exceptions, and didn't take it seriously enough. Taiwans and South Koreas response was great. Every country could've prevented this. This was preventable. Blood of thousands of people will be on the hands of world leaders while they again won't face any consequences. I hope the world will forever remember, that instead of just hoping something not to spread to keep economy afloat, you have to put a hold on economy first. An immediate lockdown of touristic places and stop of flights. They did far more damage than good.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asian diaspora tend to stick together because Westerners can't tell us apart. Vincent Chin got murdered for being a "jap". Now the racist rhetoric has shifted and every bad asian is suddenly Chinese.

I was just called "Corona corona" yesterday even though I am not Chinese.
Still, I despise the CCP and will happily call them out.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what you are claiming at all.

There was no conspiricy to hide this disease for month, as can be seen by my country response to it.

The failure of other country to take necessary precaution is their own mistake, not malice or conspiricy on China hiding information, which you claim for month, and your own source completely say different.

Didn't a Chinese Doctor who was silenced for warning people of this die from this? And activists who criticized the state for their response went missing.

I'm not saying they didn't try to cover it up for a month but they absolutely did try to cover it up for whatever length of time they could.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I really was surprised by his lack of trumpness during his press conference. It was fairly odd.

This all but confirmed he wasn't being himself

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, yes, the Chinese-Italian-EuropeanUnion-BuildTheWall-Democrats-Hillary'sEmails-Mexicans-EveryoneAgainstMe virus.

For fuck's sake. What a fucking disgrace of a human being. Can't he spend like a day without sounding like an absolute dolt or a raging xenophobe?

It's also really sad that he's not the only politician more than eager to weaponize and politicize a health crisis like this one. Certain politicians here in Spain are doing the same.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Didn't a Chinese Doctor who was silenced for warning people of this die from this? And activists who criticized the state for their response went missing.

I'm not saying they didn't try to cover it up for a month but they absolutely did try to cover it up for whatever length of time they could.

Dr. Li Wenliang, who posted "Hunan Fish and fruit market have confirmed 7 case of SARS, they are currently under quarantine at our hospital" on his university friend/classmate wechat group, where someone took screenshot of that statement and post it on the rest of the internet, he later clarify to Beijing Youth Newspaper that it wasn't sars, but still analyzing coronavirus and please not spread.
12/31 He was punished by his hospital to right a apology letter, but no punishment was given, his license was not revoked, and he was allowed back to the front line, just writing a I make a mistake statement"
1/3 Local police appear and have him sign a public statemnt basicly stating he was making false rumor
Local source state that local police called in 8 "whistleblower" on 1/1, but he was brought in on 1/3, so he might not be part of the 8 whistleblower or rumor maker
1/10 he succembt to Coronavirus like sympton
1/12 he was sent to the ICU
1/31 story of the whsitle blower is blown up on chinese news, he is brought into spotlight and interview by chinese news and stated his disdain for police action and local politican downplaying of the incident making it a bigger issue, if it was released and allowed testing earlier, it would have been contained
2/7 His university wechat group that he belong to release that he passed away at the age of 33 year old
2/7 Central Government sent National Supervisory Commission to investigate Hunan incident and Dr. Li Wenliang

So general view in China seems to be that it was the local government using local police force trying to hide the incident and punish whistleblower, and not the Central Governmnet.
It could also still be CCP looking for a scapegoat, by "investigating" and then punishing the local mayor/governer and the local police force.
But the investigation by the NSC is still not complete at this time.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Trump was getting upset with the lack of animosity between the GoP and Dems lately. People working together to fight against a pandemic.

So naturally he has to say something terrible to turn the cameras back to him

I've never hated a man so much in my life.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
The US media is complicit in this shit.

53kulrh.png

I am too tired to look for more.

LOL.

Here in Spain there are factories that make them (one about 80,000-90,000 a day, they only do them for the government right now). I'm pretty sure factories in USA could do it to.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Ebola= River in Congo
Zika= Forest in Uganda

Funny enough I first seen this argument being used by a Trumper to try and defend him. Naming viruses after the places they were first found was/is very common. And you are cherry picking what you wanna talk about here. How about the Rocky Mountain Fever( named after western North America)? Lyme Disease(named after Lyme, Connecticut )? Marburg Virus( named after Marburg, Germany) The list goes on and on. What Trump is doing is trying to target certain people by calling it the Chinese virus( not even China virus, he named it after the people not the place)which is very fucked up.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is an asshole. There is a widely used scientific name for it (two even), so it's wrong to name it something that puts blame on individuals. It's one thing if he pushes back hard against the CCP spokesman who spread conspiracy theories about it originating with the US military but what Trmp's doing is just divisive and wrong particularly when we know many Asians around the world are facing racism even now that the virus is everywhere.