• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that immediately stood out to me when I saw that tweet, too. God damn awful. It's a gross, blatant attempt to shift the blame and only going to encourage further racism and cause more harm. The virus has a name for a reason -- two completely valid names, even! -- fucking pick one of those, you orange racist slime.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is what Asian Americans and this country as a whole are going to be dealing with, and people really come here with this "well actually, this outbreak started in China so..." nonsense.

Classical othering and a sense of superiority. Indiscriminate in their contempt of a entire people because they see them as sub human and alien. Almost certainly transfers to all people of colour dependent on what's on the news for these halfwits. Hard to combat when a that sentiment gets you the President office.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
i didnt know this was a contest
Racism is racism no matter who it comes from or who is targeted. Why only call one party out when there are two doing it? Especially when one is actively rewriting history and spreading conspiracy theories at the same time?

I think they think it's okay to be racist if they were racist first.
Not even close. I'm calling out people's double standard over this.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my idiot co-workers asked me today if I thought we were going to go to war with China over this. I was baffled, but not entirely surprised by the question.
I wonder where they got this...

4Gadvz9.jpg

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god I live in LA where Asians are the majority in certain areas. Racist fuck is gonna give a lot of Asians trouble.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racism is racism no matter who it comes from or who is targeted. Why only call one party out when there are two doing it? Especially when one is actively rewriting history and spreading conspiracy theories at the same time?

Not even close. I'm calling out people's double standard over this.

Every day I worry about my mom as she travels home from work alone not because of the virus, but because of the increase in hate crimes that have occurred around our country. There is no double standard; unless you mean to tell me that 1. there are a sizeable population of Chinese Italians who have actually been physically assaulted due to the rhetoric the CCP has spouted to save face over this whole affair, and 2. we wouldn't denounce that if it happened.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Not only is it racist, but it directly threatens the national security of the United States. By sowing this seed of hatred, more American lives will succumb to this dangerous, HUMAN virus.

A clear violation of his 'oath' to defend the Constitution that he cannot even read with it in front of him in size 192 font.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
man, i start to worry about my Chinese friends in America......
Hope everything goes well

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Then go start a thread on the Chinese government being racist fucks (as if anyone would try to defend China over that on here). This one is about Trumps's harmful rhetoric which has a direct impact on us Asian Americans (or even just tourists) cause he's, you know, the fucking US President and has a cadre of virulent supporters who are just chomping at the barest excuse to fuck up some 'chinks'.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be annoyed if he called it a Wuhan virus or a Huanan virus, but it would be practical since that was the likely origin. "Chinese virus" is specifically targeting a billion people, 99.99% of whom had nothing to do with anything and are just trying to live through it. He's clearly trying to mobilize his racist base. Again, he's passes the blame like the fucking narcissist he is.

Jun 6, 2019
"Wuhan Virus" has become part of the culture war and Trump is playing to his base, who think libs are whiny babies.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Typical fascist tactic. Once things start looking dicey for your popularity, blare on that racism horn.

As an aside, I can't help wondering how this kind of hateful rhetoric will affect Republican-voting Asian Americans going forward?

May 26, 2018
Typical fascist tactic. Once things start looking dicey for your popularity, blare on that racism horn.

As an aside, I can't help wondering how this kind of hateful rhetoric will affect Republican-voting Asian Americans going forward?

I guess look at history any time someone is on the side of the system that suddenly hates them. Lots of shock, pain, confusion, anger.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Ebola= River in Congo
Zika= Forest in Uganda

Interesting that it's okay when it originates from Africa, but xenophobic if it is anywhere else

You'll be happy to know that the WHO has changed how they name things because of xenophobia stemming from these exact situations.

Edit: So maybe you shouldn't be running interference for this president?
Edit2: It seems like someone else informed you.

May 30, 2018
You'll be happy to know that the WHO has changed how they name things because of xenophobia stemming from these exact situations.

Edit: So maybe you shouldn't be running interference for this president?

Noted

Always thought it was just some subtle BS but good to know they have addressed it

I don't have anymore grievances with this issue then

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory false equivalence surrounding racism
Every day I worry about my mom as she travels home from work alone not because of the virus, but because of the increase in hate crimes that have occurred around our country. There is no double standard; unless you mean to tell me that 1. there are a sizeable population of Chinese Italians who have actually been physically assaulted due to the rhetoric the CCP has spouted to save face over this whole affair, and 2. we wouldn't denounce that if it happened.
First and foremost, I'm genuinely sorry to hear about what you, your mom and anyone in a similar situation have to go through. No one should have to deal with that shit, especially considering the current situation.
That being said, racist rhetorics don't have to result in physical violence in order to be qualified as racist. Additionally, the CCP is also calling it the "Japanese virus", and there's plenty of anti-Japanese racism in China, and it could very easily result in physical violence against them (whether it has happened or not, I do not know).

As for people not calling out China on this, I linked to a thread in my first post where a Chinese official was making conspiracy theories about the US army bringing the virus to Wuhan. Not a single person called them out as being racists, so it's already been showed that people don't. And even in this very thread, people are more busy attacking the fact that I pointed out that people are not treating these things the same way rather than calling out the CCP for being racists shitheads just like Trump.

Then go start a thread on the Chinese government being racist fucks (as if anyone would try to defend China over that on here). This one is about Trumps's harmful rhetoric which has a direct impact on us Asian Americans (or even just tourists) cause he's, you know, the fucking US President and has a cadre of virulent supporters who are just chomping at the barest excuse to fuck up some 'chinks'.
I linked to a thread in my original post where people could've easily called out the behavior of the Chinese gov as racist, yet no one did.
As for the rest of your post, again I'm genuinely sorry that you and other Asian people have to deal with the fear of racist attacks because of this whole thing.

Anyway, the reason why I pointed that out at the bottom of my original post is just because I wish people would be consistent in challenging racist behavior, regardless of who does it. I didn't intend to derail this thread, so I'm gonna stop here. And fuck Trump and his racist ass while I'm at it.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I wish people would be consistent in challenging racist behavior, regardless of who does it. I didn't intend to derail this thread, so I'm gonna stop here. And fuck Trump and his racist ass while I'm at it.
Who the fuck is people? Are those people here? Do you know these people or are you just using this forum to generalize this nonexistent behavior?