• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder where they got this...

4Gadvz9.jpg

I really can't stand cnn these days.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Assaults against Asian people will skyrocket in the coming weeks and months.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit I called this one last week. Lost my bet tho

www.resetera.com

Donald Trump Shook Hands with CPAC Chairman Exposed to Attendee Infected with Coronavirus COVID

Odds seem really low. Also because Trump is a noted germaphobe I imagine he's constantly doused in hand sanitizer. I actually wonder how the WH Press Machine would work if TRump did get sick with a particularly nasty flu or corona virus. Whether they'd just lie about the whole thing, seems...

People in Trump's orbit are already calling it "Wuhan Virus" and "China Virus," so I think it's just a matter of days before TRump adopts that. There's a chance that because Trump is personally close with Xi Jinping, he might not use it, but I doubt it... If I were a betting man I'd bet Trump RT's someone saying "Wuhan Virus" or "China Virus" before Friday at 11:59PM.

Damn i lost my bet tho.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I saw some tweet (I forgot whose) that said that he heard from Republican strategists that the "Chinese virus" is a planned media tactic by the GOP. A bunch of senior GOP leaders will use the phrase, prompting the left to decry their racism. Then, a discussion will open about whether calling it the Chinese virus is racist or not (given the Zeka etc precedent). The sides of that debate will be drawn, how else, by party lines. And then it's an argument about PC libs vs racist bigot Republicans, INSTEAD of talking of the administration's messed up response to a once in a decade (century?) catastrophe.

Don't fall for it, don't retweet, don't argue about it, don't even post in this thread (except if you're saying what I'm saying haha). You're falling to a carefully designed (and honestly devious) spin.

Jan 31, 2018
So, in addition to getting a whole number of people killed out of sheer incompetence/willful negligence in response to the virus threat, Trump's intentionally endangering Asians across the country all so he can deflect attention away from his own failures. What a guy.

Aside from the obvious fact that this is a tactic right out of the classic authoritarian playbook, if the American people re-elect someone like Trump, they're officially a lost cause.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sigh. Here we go again - gonna cop shit from non-Asians about being diseased, uncivilised and weak etc.

For Asian Australians, we already went through this shit in the 90s until 9-11 and the baton was passed to Middle Easterners in the 2000s

And now my child is about to be born and go through the exact same racist shit as I did as a kid.

One can argue all they want about the naming conventions of diseases and whether or not they're racist, but the Asian diaspora is literally being attacked by the general public. Videos of Asians being bashed by strangers? Verbal abuse from rednecks about going back to one's country? Cancelling Chinese food to "lessen" the risk of contracting COVID19?

Thanks Trump for enabling it all once again.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
One of my coworkers put up a status on Facebook saying "it's not racist to call it a foreign virus or Chinese virus because there's the Spanish flu" and other things named the same.....

The mental gymnastics some trump supporters do to justify his racist comments and negligence hurts my head

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's really sad that this tweet doesn't even enrage me anymore. It's just so common now that while I'm not numb to it, it makes react with "Yeah it is a day that ends with a Y, Trump tweeted something racist."

elephantstone

Nov 29, 2017
Wonder how Chinese American MAGA supporters think now? They have to understand for racists, it doesn't matter if you are legal immigrants or work in high tech jobs making fortunes. He will exploit your rights and endanger your freedom as long as it serves his agendas.

Silverlining is he's legit desperate now. With the ways he handled the crisis and the whole stock market meltdown, very likely we won't see a 2nd term.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be some kind of way we discuss how the Chinese government is held to account for how their policies and response to coronavirus has put the rest of the world at risk, while also not inflaming racist rhetoric.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
There needs to be some kind of way we discuss how the Chinese government is held to account for how their policies and response to coronavirus has put the rest of the world at risk, while also not inflaming racist rhetoric.

Ok? We can do that, just don't be racist while doing it lol.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not that I'm sure what it has to do with a thread about race baiting this pandemic, but picking a fight with China is literally the last thing the world needs right now.
Obviously, the worst people in American politics are going to try to do this, and we should not be cheering them.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well in a sense he is not wrong. China (meaning the CCP regime, not its people) covered the outbreak up for months and as a direct result the world is in this mess.

Just to point out.

The wild animal farming is a valid point of criticism, but not that they tried to hide it.

Once it was somewhat confirmed that it could be a new thing, WHO was informed (informed 31 December), the day after the wet market was closed.
Doctor raised concern around 25 December.

And the first case have gone to hospital was retroactively found to be around 25 nov (of course they did not know what it was, probably they took it for some weird case of flu).

They did underestimated it at the time there was not data on how infectious it was. Plus is something that everyone is doing even if there is much more data.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Derailing a Thread on a Sensitive Topic
Just to point out.
Once it was somewhat confirmed that it could be a new thing, WHO was informed (informed 31 December), the day after the wet market was closed.

Doctor raised concern around 25 December.

And the first case have gone to hospital was retroactively found to be around 25 nov (of course they did not know what it was, probably they took it for some weird case of flu).

Well no evidence has pointed out that authorities knew about a new virus from test results on November 17th. While information trickled out in January of a virus outbreak to the free world outside, inside China any information about it was covered up and any news reporting about it was forbidden. I visited China on January 18th for example, and literally NO ONE had heard about it! When finally the Wuhan lockdown happened media was allowed to report about a new virus outbreak. It is this cover-up that is the source of the world pandemic.

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
My 65 year old father is about to travel via plane for "urgent work" matters.

I'm already pissed he's traveling. Now I get to be worried about all the potential racist fuckwits in the places he's traveling.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020

Agreed. The Chinese Government needs to step in and do whatever it takes to get rid of the wet market. This is just another example of how capitalism is really an insufficient economic system for modern society.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's lovely how a thread about how Trump trying to shift blame for his incompetence by blaming it on China turned into a thread about how much China sucks.
Good job everyone!

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well no evidence has pointed out that authorities knew about a new virus from test results on November 17th. While information trickled out in January of a virus outbreak to the free world outside, inside China any information about it was covered up and any news reporting about it was forbidden. I visited China on January 18th for example, and literally NO ONE had heard about it!

Yes of course, they did underestimated the threat, but i think they were pretty open with the international community.
There were no delay informing WHO of the progress of the disease once it was confirmed for what it was.

It's just the phrase "They tried to hide for months" is not true as far the evidence are out.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Yes of course, they did underestimated the threat, but i think they were pretty open with the international community.
There were no delay informing WHO of the progress of the disease once it was confirmed for what it was.

It's just the phrase "They tried to hide for months" is not true as far the evidence are out.
But they did hid it for months as all facts point out. It also took awhile after first enquiries by the WHO to give actual accurate, non-falsified data. Meanwhile no action was undertaken by authorities for literally months, causing the global pandemic.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they did hid it for months as all facts point out.

How so?
It's not like the patient that go to hospital have covid on the forehead.
The first one was 17 Nov it was around Christmas that medical worker started.
So it took around 40 days until the number were big enough to be noticed.
Is that long? short? no idea.

It also took awhile after first enquiries by the WHO to give actual accurate, non-falsified data. Meanwhile no action was undertaken by authorities for literally months, causing the global pandemic.

What you mean by falsified data?

The wet market was closed relatively quickly, there was notice to the resident about the wet market. Just look at timeline.
Sure after there was no one hit the red button immediately like maybe with hindsight they should have. But well it's easy with hindsight.

Care to post how you arrived to your conclusion?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Well in a sense he is not wrong. China (meaning the CCP regime, not its people) covered the outbreak up for months and as a direct result the world is in this mess.

If you are willing to make charitable interpretations of words by Trump, someone who refused to take his responsibility(his words), you might as well have no ground to walk on.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
How so?
It's not like the patient that go to hospital have covid on the forehead.
The first one was 17 Nov it was around Christmas that medical worker started notice something amiss.

What you mean by falsified data?
Any statistical data is notoriously falsified. In the first few weeks the daily numbers given to WHO could be predicted by people days in advance, as the increase used to same ratio day on day for a while.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
It's lovely how a thread about how Trump trying to shift blame for his incompetence by blaming it on China turned into a thread about how much China sucks.
Good job everyone!
Superb. And like with all threads about China's experience with the pandemic, it attracts the same nonsense about how there's no practical differences between what Wuhan's local government did and what the national government, let alone the local governments of other cities, did.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
If you are willing to make charitable interpretations of words by Trump, someone who refused to take his responsibility(his words), you might as well have no ground to walk on.
I'm not making "charitable interpretations" as the guy involved political motivations are abundantly clear. The fact however remains that Chinese dictatorship was at fault due to their months long cover up.