• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
The only thing donald trump can't be blamed for is where it came from, so this is what's going to be the messaging for the rest of the year.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Official White House statement:

Funny thing about this. Spanish Flu was also an idotic fake name that shouldnt (and should not still, resetera, becuase ive seen a lot fo people here) be used. It didnt start in Spain, just that Spain informed about it when all other countries were censoring news about it to not make the morality of the people go down with the war.
Its called the influenza pandemic. Just as this is called Coronavirus ow Covid19.

The soon everyone (and i mean EVERYONE) doesnt start not using nationalistic or racist terms for virus the better.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
yeah when push comes to shove, throw another minority under the bus. And you know, the sad thing is 35% of voters will go along with it too. I hate this country.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
What I want to know, is why isn't the media attacking him after he has constantly attacked & spread lies about them?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The swine flu and one other of those that I'm forgetting didn't even fucking come from China.
swine flu came from good ole north america, and now im realizing all these flus do have the same thing in common, animals in stressful enclosures making them breeding grounds for viruses. its kind of insane to see.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

I am not advocating at all for this to be called "Chinese Virus" or flu or whatever -- so many horrible implications and slippery slope issues to solely attributing the problem to one country -- however, I'm honestly curious as to one thing: am I misinformed, or is the origin of some of these super-flu bugs not traceable back to ingestion of some of the animals mentioned in this tweet? (i.e. bats specifically). Aren't the so-called "wet meat markets" problematic for disease?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I want to know, is why isn't the media attacking him after he has constantly attacked & spread lies about them?
The US media rely on white house sources for their reporting, if they piss them off too much, they will get cut.
The Maggie Habermans of the world can't really file stories if they stop talking to them.

They'll have like one "tough question" at a press conference so they can pat themselves on the back, and then move on..

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

After the catastrophic failure of Trump and his administration on this crisis, the press should be at his throat every single minute he's in front of them. This should be the end of him, but it won't be if they just let him walk like they always do.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am not advocating at all for this to be called "Chinese Virus" or flu or whatever -- so many horrible implications and slippery slope issues to solely attributing the problem to one country -- however, I'm honestly curious as to one thing: am I misinformed, or is the origin of some of these super-flu bugs not traceable back to ingestion of some of the animals mentioned in this tweet? (i.e. bats specifically). Aren't the so-called "wet meat markets" problematic for disease?
What are you advocating then?
Because as far as I can tell you are mostly echoing the sentiments of the worst people in American politics who are trying to deflect the blame of their gross incompetence to China and Chinese people.
Why?
What are you trying to achieve here?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Republicans to argue for reparations against China for this virus. The same ones who run for the hills about racial reparations in America too, no less.

That is what I imagine is one of the more sly tactics here. To aim this on China in a way that they "owe" America for damage caused.

Be mindful of the war rhetoric. If it's used by conservatives, they already expect an "enemy to reward the victor" when it's over.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
The US media rely on white house sources for their reporting, if they piss them off too much, they will get cut.
The Maggie Habermans of the world can't really file stories if they stop talking to them.

They'll have like one "tough question" at a press conference so they can pat themselves on the back, and then move on.

Man, fuck that. They're just as bad & complicit.

I'd rather keep my morality & integrity & do what I have to to expose that asshole. People's lives are more important than ratings & money.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Because as far as I can tell you are mostly echoing the sentiments of the worst people in American politics who are trying to deflect the blame of their gross incompetence to China and Chinese people.
Why?
Woah. Can we calm down a touch? I'm not supporting any of the racist labels. I'm not really advocating for anything! Haha. And I'm well aware of how poorly the US handled things over the past several weeks, causing severe issues with containing and managing this virus.

I'm just trying to understand whether I'm misinformed about the origin of the virus in the human population. I was under the impression that it was traced back to poor meat handling in the wet-markets. Not the case?

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Can we all agree that every time Trump or one of his underlings refer to Covid-19 as "Chinese Virus" the proper thing to do is correct them by calling it "coronavirus" or "Covid-19" and then continue to press them on their handling/response to the pandemic and the dual health and financial crises now affecting generations of Americans?

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User banned (1 month): Justifying racism
Friend posted this on Facebook:

"People that are racist and attack Asians over the coronavirus are idiots. That being said, I understand the anger/confusion people are having towards the Chinese and other Asians. This virus would not have started if Chinese people didn't eat live exotic animals in Wuhan. This virus would have been contained if the Chinese government acted right away. This virus would have been localised if Chinese people didnt break quaritine and travel the world. (Italy started with Chinese couple, Korea started with Chinese international studends breaking quarintine) If I lost a family member due to the irresponsible actions of the Chinese governement and people, I would be pretty mad too. Again, these racists people are complete idots. But racist people have always been racist and they just found a motive for their disgraceful belief. But at the same time, the Chinese are responsible for a lot of this chaos."

For the record, he's Asian.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we all agree that every time Trump or one of his underlings refer to Covid-19 as "Chinese Virus" the proper thing to do is correct them by calling it "coronavirus" or "Covid-19" and then continue to press them on their handling/response to the pandemic and the dual health and financial crises now affecting generations of Americans?
Why?
Does that achieve anything other than provide an air of credibility to the GOP shitty deflecting tactic of blaming China?

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Why?

This seems overly aggressive response to his question. The animal market is where this disease originated from which is a direct result of exotic animals being in close proximity to one another.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Invoking whataboutism concerning racism
Torn on this.

On the one hand, fuck Trump...

but on the other hand, to my knowledge no one in America has been "disappeared" for talking bad about the government response to Covid-19... unlike some places (China).

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA

"People that are racist and attack Asians over the coronavirus are idiots. That being said, I understand the anger/confusion people are having towards the Chinese and other Asians. This virus would not have started if Chinese people didn't eat live exotic animals in Wuhan. This virus would have been contained if the Chinese government acted right away. This virus would have been localised if Chinese people didnt break quaritine and travel the world. (Italy started with Chinese couple, Korea started with Chinese international studends breaking quarintine) If I lost a family member due to the irresponsible actions of the Chinese governement and people, I would be pretty mad too. Again, these racists people are complete idots. But racist people have always been racist and they just found a motive for their disgraceful belief. But at the same time, the Chinese are responsible for a lot of this chaos."

Is your "friend" Donald Trump? Because that is textbook Trumptalk.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was my understanding that for months (?) now we've been saying this disease originated from China and more specifically a wet market that served exotic/wild animals. But Cornyn is also attributing to China diseases that didn't even originate from there like MERS and swine flu. which is clearly racist.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This seems overly aggressive response to his question. The animal market is where this disease originated from which is a direct result of exotic animals being in close proximity to one another.
This is a thread about how Trump is trying to deflect blame for his incompetence by shifting the blame to China using racist tactics, and about how Asian Americans are going to be on the receiving end of this.
Why are you all here JuSt AsKiNg QuEsTiOnS about which exotic animals Chinese people eat?
For real, what are you trying to achieve here?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah we shouldn't be afraid of discussing the origins of this particular disease as well as SARS and any other disease originating from China out of fears of being racist.

The practice of wet markets with exotic animals needs to end for the good of humanity.

The way Trump is framing it though is promoting yellow peril and that's wrong.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the comparison to diseases named after African locations is that most people probably don't realize Ebola and Zika are geographical locations in Africa... or at least I didn't. Chinese flu is unmistakably provocative I guess.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
it was my understanding that for months (?) now we've been saying this disease originated from China and more specifically a wet market that served exotic/wild animals. But Cornyn is also attributing to China diseases that didn't even originate from there like MERS and swine flu. which is clearly racist.
Totally! Sorry, I probably shouldn't have quoted that post with the tweet. I'm not supporting that tweet at all.
My question was solely around whether COVID-19 (and some, but not all of the other super-bugs/flus/w/e) originated in wet markets.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The last page is exactly why he will get away with it, because deep inside a ton of people in the US think about China exactly like him, and really want to lay the blame to all of it at China's feet
They just wish they could do it without calling it "chop fluey", so we can pretend that if we just talk about how Chinese people like bat meet or whatever this will not affect Asian Americans.

You are not improving food safety in China with that talk. You are at most making yourself feel superior to a foreign country, and at worst proving justifications for Trump's deflections tactics.
And hey, if some Asian Americans need to get some hate crimes, well, that's a price we're willing to pay.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Weeks): Hostilty; Numerous Prior Bans for Hostilty
Not that I'm sure what it has to do with a thread about race baiting this pandemic, but picking a fight with China is literally the last thing the world needs right now.
Obviously, the worst people in American politics are going to try to do this, and we should not be cheering them.
Dude enough you Stan CCP so fucking hard in every thread you can

Trump is a racist asshole and is definitely doing it with bad intentions but we do need to discuss how viruses are coming from there in a manner without racist intent

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Your friend is dumb. There's a billion+ Chinese people in the world. How the fuck are we and every other Asian all responsible for this shit? The racism and anger is unjustifiable.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Woah. Can we calm down a touch? I'm not supporting any of the racist labels. I'm not really advocating for anything! Haha. And I'm well aware of how poorly the US handled things over the past several weeks, causing severe issues with containing and managing this virus.

I'm just trying to understand whether I'm misinformed about the origin of the virus in the human population. I was under the impression that it was traced back to poor meat handling in the wet-markets. Not the case?
Bush meat is another term for it, and it can be a source, but it's rarely a definitive trace. Particularly with a virus like this that can apparently spread without direct fluids contact.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Picture someone named Smith starts a fire and the fire department shows up saying, "There actually isn't a fire. Well, there is a fire but it's very small and will go out by itself."

Then, as the fire spreads out of control, they tell you, "Don't worry, we have a special hose that will be ready in just a minute to put out the fire," even though it won't actually be ready for more than a year at least.

Finally, after everyone's house on the block is completely engulfed in flames and is quickly spreading throughout the neighborhood, they tell you, "Hey, this isn't our fault. That guy started the Smith fire" even though there's millions of Smiths in the world and YOUR last name happens to be Smith.

So you see the problem here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Trump is a racist asshole and is definitely doing it with bad intentions but we do need to discuss how viruses are coming from there in a manner without racist intent
We need to discuss "where viruses come from" and call me names in a thread about Trump racist attacks against Chinese people?

Ya'll accuse me of having some sort of an agenda, but I am very very clear in what I want -
I don't want the US to pick a fight with China in a middle of a pandemic, and I don't want Trump to be successful in shifting blame for his incompetence to China.

What do you want?
Outside calling me "CCP stan".

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Using racism and xenophobia to deflects criticism and anger over his administration's completely fucking incompetent and dangerous response to this pandemic? Honestly shocked he didn't do this weeks ago.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Nobody tell Cornyn that MERS stands for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome.
That way he won't realize it originated from Saudi Arabia. (And that swine flu originated in the USA.)

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
I in no way support calling the virus Chinese. I am curious as to how we can battle the Chinese narrative that the US Army planted the virus in China?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah we shouldn't be afraid of discussing the origins of this particular disease as well as SARS and any other disease originating from China out of fears of being racist.

The practice of wet markets with exotic animals needs to end for the good of humanity.

Agreed but also kinda hypocritical people are calling an end to those while turning a blind eye to animal factories elsewhere

I mean sure, if you also wanna discuss how viruses are coming from north american animals as well.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I in no way support calling the virus Chinese. I am curious as to how we can battle the Chinese narrative that the US Army planted the virus in China?

It sounds so ridiculous that it doesn't need to be battled. It's like Trump bullshit - the people that want to believe it are going to believe it no matter what anyone says, especially the US itself. I have to imagine that reasonable folks smell it as bullshit.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this thread isn't an epidemiological exercise in the origin of the disease. It's about Trump who was calling it Covid/Corona up until last week when it started blowing up in his face.

the point here is you're being led by bad faith actors in attributing the pandemic to a country of a billion people which affects not only that country's diaspora but also everybody else who happens to share similar phenotypes.