• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Reported as well, for all the good it will do.

Pointless sure but I'm glad I did it because I somehow was following Trump, the follow button must have been accidentally pressed at some point. Glad I caught that.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Calling for the murder of a person
Can't someone put him out of our misery?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
He's been doing this but yeah, still reprehensible. The Trumpets will sweep this under the rug once again. Hope it gets blown up even more tho.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
How does that even make sense? I Googled Elizabeth Warren expecting a Native American, but I got a very white looking woman. Is he really digging that deep for slurs to use that he has to use someone's ancestry?

She listed herself as a minority in an Association of American Law Schools directory, and Harvard at one point used her to counter claims that law school faculty were overwhelmingly white.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Warren, but I mean c'mon...

If Trump was going around saying that he relates to minorities because he's 1/16th black, we'd all probably be mocking him too
mocking him, sure. but calling him the n word just because it's making fun of HIM is being a racist.

using a word like "Pocahontas" for a single person when it affects an entire group of people is fucking racist, period. regardless if he's trying to "joke" about it.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Warren, but I mean c'mon...

If Trump was going around saying that he relates to minorities because he's 1/16th black, we'd all probably be mocking him too
Depends on which direction that mocking would go in

Really Warren fucked up big time with this and it's a really bad scandal that I've never heard her clarify or talk about. Which is a problem.

But at the same time people lose any ground saying they give a crap about how someone doing something like this would have been disrespectful to native Americans by throwing Pocahontas and shopping stereotypical Native American imagery on her. They have no interest in the problematic nature of the story being used against her. They just want to mock her and native Americans because they think racism is funny

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
mocking him, sure. but calling him the n word just because it's making fun of HIM is being a racist.

using a word like "Pocahontas" for an single person when it affects an entire group of people is fucking racist, period. regardless if he's trying to "joke" about it.

Let's not conflate the 2 things: saying the n word- a word only used to demean and degrade and using the word Pocahontas- a real person who carries identifying power, are 2 very different things. Synecdoche in a way. The critique is that she usurped a culture whom she has no relation with, which I feel may be as offensive as his tactless rebuttal.

Oct 27, 2017
As awful as Trump is and as much as I support Warren I think "Pocahontas" is actually a pretty appropriate insult for an obviously white woman trying to use being 1/24 Cherokee or whatever like some kind of race card.

That said I don't think Warren has invoked her ancestry recently and Trump is once again playing the role of fourth grade bully who came up with a good zinger once and still saying long after it was ever funny.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
As awful as Trump is and as much as I support Warren I think "Pocahontas" is actually a pretty appropriate insult for an obviously white woman trying to use being 1/24 Cherokee or whatever like some kind of race card.

That said I don't think Warren has invoked her ancestry recently and Trump is once again playing the role of fourth grade bully who came up with a good zinger once and still saying long after it was ever funny.

Appropriate? No.

Appropriate for a president? Hell no.

You guys continue to normalize this shit.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not conflate the 2 things: saying the n word- a word only used to demean and degrade and using the word Pocahontas- a real person who carries identifying power, are 2 very different things. Synecdoche in a way. The critique is that she usurped a culture whom she has no relation with, which I feel may be as offensive as his tactless rebuttal.
if warren had said she was 1/32 parts Indian and trump called her 'Gandhi Warren', it'd be just as racist against Indians. in school i was called gandhi as a derogatory term all the time (yes i am indian), and im sure native american's were called pocahantas as a derogatory term. just because you do not conflate the two things as being alike, doesn't mean it's ok for trump to be blatantly racist. fuck him

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
No person should be above racism. And no person should have more rights on a platform, like Twitter, then anyone else.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Would you think calling someone the N word would be an appropriate insult to someone who said they had African American ancestry?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
if warren had said she was 1/32 parts Indian and trump called her 'Gandhi Warren', it'd be just as racist against Indians. in school i was called gandhi as a derogatory term all the time (yes i am indian), and im sure native american's were called pocahantas as a derogatory term. just because you do not conflate the two things as being alike, doesn't mean it's ok for trump to be blatantly racist. fuck him
Completely agree and maybe because I've actually seen this being thrown at a girl when I was in junior high. They called her Pocahantas, just because she was Native American and it was one of the only things they could think of that had anything to do with Native Americans and I guess they needed a name to mock her with, so that's what they went with. Bullies that is. It had nothing to do with the real person just like when Trump does it, it doesn't either.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 1/16th native american but don't have any roots or connections to my heritage, or associate with the culture in any significant way. Who are we to say if she does feel some identification to the culture? If she was taught and connected with her heritage, or was interested in the culture of it all? She can absolutely feel a connection and representation in my opinion, whether you think so or not.
I agree with this, I am 1/4 black but I look mostly white, but I strongly identify with my black heritage. I want my kids to do so aswell regardless of the percentage of blackness. It's also a political stance to claim your ancestors even if it's only a low percentage. If you don't and claim to be white, it's like erasing them. We shouldn't think that she did that for getting benefits.

Oct 27, 2017
Would you think calling someone the N word would be an appropriate insult to someone who said they had African American ancestry?
Does "Pocahontas" actually have any history as being used as slur? Did most Americans even know who Pocahontas was before the Disney movie in the 90's?

I'd bet most people in the country don't even know she was even a real person at all.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also thinking that people like Trump use Pocahontas as a power figure is laughable. Stop condoning this shit.

It's the classic racist thing of calling you by the only thing they know about your culture, like calling a Muslim "Muhammad" or an Indian "Abu".

Oct 25, 2017
canada
You encourage this type of behavior from a president?

Time to rethink your position.

Did not a lot of people on this forum make fun of Rachel Dolezal when she pretended to be a minority? If you are not ethnically a part of a minority group, that is you are not enveloped within the political and social memories that accompany said group, you have no freedom to appropriate that for your own benefit. Full stop.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Did not a lot of people on this forum make fun of Rachel Dolezal when she pretended to be a minority? If you are not ethnically a part of a minority group, that is you are not enveloped within the political and social memories that accompany said group, you have no freedom to appropriate that for your own benefit. Full stop.
Rachel Dolezal faked racist attacks on herself and her children, and told PoC there were not PoC enough.

Did Warren do similar things?

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dolezal lied about her heritage. Warren as far as we know didn't. Do you know there is a lot of native and blacks that looks white ?

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017

You continue to miss the point.

HE IS THE FUCKING PRESIDENT.

Also it is still being used as a slur.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

To compare this with Rachel Dolezal, a person who built her entire persona around trying to be black is just insanity.

She hasn't gained anything from it:

The best argument she's got in her defense is that, based on the public evidence so far, she doesn't appear to have used her claim of Native American ancestry to gain access to anything much more significant than a cookbook; in 1984 she contributed five recipes to the Pow Wow Chow cookbook published by the Five Civilized Tribes Museum in Muskogee, signing the items, "Elizabeth Warren -- Cherokee."

Warren, who graduated from the University of Houston in 1970 and got her law degree from Rutgers University in 1976, did not seek to take advantage of affirmative action policies during her education, according documents obtained by the Associated Press and The Boston Globe. On the application to Rutgers Law School she was asked, "Are you interested in applying for admission under the Program for Minority Group Students?'' "No," she replied.

While a teacher at the University of Texas, she listed herself as "white." But between 1986 and 1995, she listed herself as a minority in the Association of American Law Schools Directory of Faculty; the University of Pennsylvania in a 2005 "minority equity report" also listed her as one of the minority professors who had taught at its law school.

The head of the committee that brought Warren to Harvard Law School said talk of Native American ties was not a factor in recruiting her to the prestigious institution. Reported the Boston Herald in April in its first story on Warren's ancestry claim: "Harvard Law professor Charles Fried, a former U.S. Solicitor General who served under Ronald Reagan, sat on the appointing committee that recommended Warren for hire in 1995. He said he didn't recall her Native American heritage ever coming up during the hiring process.

"'It simply played no role in the appointments process. It was not mentioned and I didn't mention it to the faculty,' he said."

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

She literally wears blackface every day of her life.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
How does that even make sense? I Googled Elizabeth Warren expecting a Native American, but I got a very white looking woman. Is he really digging that deep for slurs to use that he has to use someone's ancestry?

Nah, the Pocahontas jab against Warren is a joke about her not really being Native American because she's only like 1/32.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Dolezal lied about her heritage. Warren as far as we know didn't. Do you know there is a lot of native and blacks that looks white ?

Yes. I did in some fashion defend Trumps insult which hurt my argument, but i do know people in Canada who take advantage of the special rights we give to aboriginals. They do not live with the community, know of its various histories, support it, and in some cases are actively discriminatory against Aboriginals.

This is the place im coming from, not from a place to defend trump but from a place arguing against minority appropriation for personal gain no matter how mundane it is.

To compare this with Rachel Dolezal, a person who built her entire persona around trying to be black is just insanity.

She hasn't gained anything from it:

Im basing my argument off this.

In the past she claimed to be a minority in Association of American Law Schools directory, and Harvard Law School claimed her as a Native American professor as an example of a minority representation.

And from there i made assumptions. Youve clarified the extent of her appropriation which is, ill agree, limited. The cookbook does signal she does know of some of the cultural history at least. I will not look kindly to appropriation of this kind, though i do myself find cultural appropriation sometimes fine whether it is clothing etc done in a respective manner. however i made too many assumptions.

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I called Trump a moron. Twitter gives me 11 hours ban. Cool.
I don't ever post on my Twitter, but Twitter's continued refusal to enforce their own policies on The Man At the Top broke the straw on the camel's back. I've officially canceled my Twitter account. Seriously, this is all so just ridiculous that there's no repurcussions for anything that man does!

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me when Pocahontus became a slur? I get it's racist, like calling a random black dude Tyrone or some shit like that, but when did it become a slur?

edit: I suppose following the definition "a derogatory or insulting term applied to particular group of people." it fits?

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can someone explain to me when Pocahontus became a slur? I get it's racist, like calling a random black dude Tyrone or some shit like that, but when did it become a slur?
It's a stretch. I'm NA and it's considered way more offensive for white people to claim native heritage than to call one of those people Pocahontas. People got so shitty about Rachel Dolezal but barely bat an eye at this shit.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Donald as disgusting as the dnc rig is. It's not illegal. The dnc can choose whomever the fuck it wants to. It doesn't even have to have a primary.