• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate this time. It's fucking disgusting. Social media can make anything real. I fucking hate this shit so god damn fucking much.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I realize that im on a site where exhaustion from controversy pertaining to trumps continued reign of terror has effecttivly left liberals with nothing to do than resent over why leadership hasn't freed us from this hell-world in exactly the way we dream about on a constant basis.

For a group that spends so much time not defending trump we spend seeming just as much if not more time not talking about him at all.

All people are asking for is that the ostensible leader of the left party not be a completely useless piece of shit in the face of racist Islamophobia by the leader of the right party, but I guess even that is a bridge too far for loyal followers of Madame Speaker of the Shades.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god could you imagine if the GOP said the Dems didn't care about 9/11
They'd short circuit trying to bend over and talk about how "no I'm the most jingoistic person ever, actually"

Because they are terrified of the GOP calling them hypocrites
Nancy Pelosi and Chelsea Clinton worked together to send Trump the edited video, we been knew.
Yes, that's clearly what's being argued.

Clearly.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is islamophobia expressed by the president of the united states. A president who has previously called on his "second amendment people" as a possible solution to a problem.

There is no incredibly similar situation to this. This derail about timing as it pertains to the responsibilities of elected representatives has already blown up the thread. We can move on from it and continue to follow the developments of the president's participation in this, or close the thread since the discussion has veered away from the president's islamophobia and towards Democratic leadership. Your choice.

This is a really disappointing response. The lack of party solidarity by Democratic leadership for the freshman Congresswoman, in light of how grotesque and unprecedented the attacks on Omar are, is part of the discussion. It cannot be ignored. Trump is emboldened by the fact that the Dem establishment has left Omar to fend for herself, or even joined in the GOP attacks... we have to hold Democrats' feet to the fire on this.

It is germane to the discussion.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I realize that im on a site where exhaustion from controversy pertaining to trumps continued reign of terror has effecttivly left liberals with nothing to do than resent over why leadership hasn't freed us from this hell-world in exactly the way we dream about on a constant basis.

For a group that spends so much time not defending trump we spend seeming just as much if not more time not talking about him at all.
All i want is our party to have a spine and stand behind Omar. A simple condemnation is not a high bar to achieve.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
All people are asking for is that the ostensible leader of the left party not be a completely useless piece of shit in the face of racist Islamophobia by the leader of the right party, but I guess even that is a bridge too far for loyal followers of Madame Speaker of the Shades.
It seems like there is far more outrage against Pelosi's lack of support, than for Trump. I don't know whether that's due to Trump exhaustion and endless bar lowering, or double standards for the left vs right. The next news cycle if Pelosi does what you ask:

"Pelosi stands by Congresswoman who dismissed 9/11 attack"

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
This is called tactically lying so you don't have to make a public statement. She probably saw the clip before a lot of posters here did.

How? her response was made before Trump's tweet.
That poster intentionally posted that to stir up shit, and nothing has been done.
I'm starting to feel this forum is not trying to moderate political threads anymore.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
That poster intentionally posted that to stir up shit, and nothing has been done.
I'm starting to feel this forum is not trying to moderate political threads anymore.
The tweet was posted 4 hours ago by the hill and it popped into my timeline. I did not post it to 'stir shit' so kindly stop trying to get me in trouble.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Nancy Pelosi and Chelsea Clinton worked together to send Trump the edited video, we been knew.

Im not sure your post in bad faith deserves a response but ill give it a shot. The democratic leadership response in defense of Omar has been laughably shit. From taking her comments out of context and calling what she said anti-semitic to openly dissing her at AIPAC.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
This was hours before the clip existed. Inform yourself before talking bullshit.
I'm talking about the CAIR video.

"To speak with her, to see the nature of her comment"

I took it as though she was acting like she hadn't seen the video and needed extra context for no reason when a full speech text and video is out there.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like there is far more outrage against Pelosi's lack of support, than for Trump. I don't know whether that's due to Trump exhaustion and endless bar lowering, or double standards for the left vs right. The next news cycle if Pelosi does what you ask:

"Pelosi stands by Congresswoman who dismissed 9/11 attack"

Agreed. Standing up to racism might get negative news coverage and we certainly can't have that. Best to capitulate straight away and hope it just blows over. Why must this Omar woman be so uppity? She's making things extremely awkward at the Thursday AIPAC cocktail.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has been building up since the freshman class entered Congress, and in many ways long before that. The time for personal anger at Trump is past, because it does absolutely fuck all. It was useful leading up to 2018 in order to get out the vote. Now that we have already voted, the main thing we can do is watch the political process play out. The only people with any semblance of non-violent, non-revolutionary political power, from now until November 2020, are our representatives in office, who're literally there in order to handle this stuff. We don't live in a direct democracy; we hand over control of the government and invest authority to representatives to take care of this for us.

So what is going to happen, what are they going to do, or is leadership planning to just shuffle their feet for the next 2 years?
Agreed. Standing up to racism might get negative news coverage and we certainly can't have that. Best to capitulate straight away and hope it just blows over. Why must this Omar woman be so uppity? She's making things extremely awkward at the Thursday AIPAC cocktail.
We should just make it a rule to immediately throw under the bus any minority or person of color in office who dares to rock the boat. Can't risk a negative news cycle!

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
This was the point I was trying to make, getting too caught up in the "response isn't sufficient until maybe it is" type of back and forth.

I'm glad people still want to discuss what is happening here. Carry on.
So then posts about actual statements pelosi and others made which have contributed to the fears Trump is stoking with his tweet is still fair game?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck twitter and fuck him.... if anything happens to her, I hope he gets it Times ten. This guys is hate and hate needs to be dealt with.

He will be gone soon enough. I can feel it

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand an unwillingness to engage with the factors that allow an environment conducive and receptive to the bile that the GOP serve up on a daily basis. We can't be outraged at the symptoms while simultaneously ignoring the fact that compromising with them does not seem to be working. We can't claim criticizing Democratic leadership for inadequate responses benefits the right and then normalize the sentiments behind what they are saying. Sometimes looking at how people interpret and respond to the messages that are being put out is more informative than the responses themselves (like with Twitter replies and the kind of signal boosting that happens, unintentionally or otherwise). The things that are said have an effect. A race to the bottom benefits no one but the GOP.

Oct 26, 2017
It was made a day after the NY Post front page. A day after FOX News continued the smearing of Ilhan Omar by calling her un-American. A day after some fake "Imam" who took her out of context got retweeted by a member of the opposing party.

That response even with context, sucks.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand an unwillingness to engage with the factors that allow an environment conducive and receptive to the bile that the GOP serve up on a daily basis. We can't be outraged at the symptoms while simultaneously ignoring the fact that compromising with them does not seem to be working. We can't claim criticizing Democratic leadership for inadequate responses benefits the right and then normalize the sentiments behind what they are saying. Sometimes looking at how people interpret and respond to the messages that are being put out is more informative than the responses themselves (like with Twitter replies and the kind of signal boosting that happens, unintentionally or otherwise). The things that are said have an effect. A race to the bottom benefits no one but the GOP.
Trump is literally just another symptom.

It's vile and repugnant that he does this, but if the GOP comes into power in 2024 again they'll nominate someone that keeps the quiet part quiet while being even more evil and then we'll see how people react.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well said. There are structural issues at play and being aware of how our side plays into things is important because we shouldn't contribute more to the atmosphere.

Oct 26, 2017
But is it so hard to comprehend twenty minutes is an endless eternity on Twitter and frothy hysteria must be sated immediately else circular firing squads must commence immediately?
It's Twitter. It's not made for normal conversation.

Tbh if he was going to defend Ilhan it would've been preferable if he had mentioned her name to show support in the first tweet. I'm glad he did mention her in the second tweet so I'm not going to rake him over the coals. At least he's trying.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
All i want is our party to have a spine and stand behind Omar. A simple condemnation is not a high bar to achieve.

All i want is for trump not to be president anymore. I'm sure neither of you are fans of trump but we are in a situation where everyone is so sick and tired of talking about how shitty trump is that in a topic about how hes dont the 1000th aweful shit this week the conversation is dominated about how weak Dems are in response. With so much at stake noone has their eye on the ball at all. The strategy of flooding with so much controversy that the enemy turs on each other is working as intended. Republicans have weaponized integrity and we are falling for it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Republicans have weaponized integrity and we are falling for it.
Is integrity attacking her at AIPAC?

When we criticize Dem leadership, now or in the last 2 years, it was because we felt strongly they weren't doing enough.

Now, when we need their voices and leadership more than ever, they're nowhere to be found. It was all building up to this. The only people who couldn't see this coming was the leadership itself.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
There's no such thing.
giphy.gif