• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
OK then, for the apparently illiterate like me, could you please break down that post and explain to us exactly how and where it proclaimed Democrats to be the 'true enemy' of black and brown people?

If you use phrases like cattle, you invoke the imagery of the biggest crimes of human history. Konzentrationslager, Gulags, Guantanamo. The intent is two-fold:

To signal that to one group you are less than human, given the hate, that is obviously not the Republicans.

To devalue democracy, because how can any election have a positive outcome when one side sees you as less than human and the other side are Republicans.

Said intense hate will only affect the Cortez and Omars and will never target Trumps. Its a very old trick and Democrats, liberals, lefties, whatever the branding of your choosing is, love to fall for it

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people try to explain why POC have no choice but to vote for Democrats over Republicans, but I haven't seen a single person try to grapple with why Dems can't treat POC as the valuable constituents (and human beings) they are rather than taking them for granted after every election cycle. It's pretty fucking sad to see that the folks defending Dem leadership seem to have accepted that's just the way it is.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
You have to be Mister fucking Fantastic to think using the term 'voting cattle' is somehow me secretly invoking Nazi-ism. It's a pretty damn apt description of how many PoC feel right now in this very thread and outside it. This is what many PoC feel right now, and to brush those feelings aside as being Nazi dogwhistles is fucking disgusting.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people try to explain why POC have no choice but to vote for Democrats over Republicans, but I haven't seen a single person try to grapple with why Dems can't treat POC as the valuable constituents (and human beings) they are rather than taking them for granted after every election cycle. It's pretty fucking sad to see that the folks defending Dem leadership seem to have accepted that's just the way it is.
Don't you understand. We have to be thankful to our middle class white parents for taking care of us, and protecting us for those nasty people.

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
If you use phrases like cattle, you invoke the imagery of the biggest crimes of human history. Konzentrationslager, Gulags, Guantanamo. The intent is two-fold:

To signal that to one group you are less than human, given the hate, that is obviously not the Republicans.

To devalue democracy, because how can any election have a positive outcome when one side sees you as less than human and the other side are Republicans.

Said intense hate will only affect the Cortez and Omars and will never target Trumps. Its a very old trick and Democrats, liberals, lefties, whatever the branding of your choosing is, love to fall for it

No-Dig-up-stupid.png

Oct 25, 2017
You have to be Mister fucking Fantastic to think using the term 'voting cattle' is somehow me secretly invoking Nazi-ism. It's a pretty damn apt description of how many PoC feel right now in this very thread and outside it. That's what many PoC feel right now, and to brush those feelings aside as being Nazi dogwhistles is fucking disgusting.
It's baffling how they can come to this conclusion, comparing what you said to Nazi rhetoric is completely ridiculous.
Not to mention tone deaf considering the subject that is being discussed.

Jan 10, 2018
You have to be Mister fucking Fantastic to think using the term 'voting cattle' is somehow me secretly invoking Nazi-ism. It's a pretty damn apt description of how many PoC feel right now in this very thread and outside it. This is what many PoC feel right now, and to brush those feelings aside as being Nazi dogwhistles is fucking disgusting.

When several Democratic PoC join the Congress, than your conclusion is absolutely right, you are nothing but cattle to them. Just pointing out what you take for granted, we don't really have an argument otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't perpetuate hate = Don't fight back.

The classic thinking of the White Feminist.

Oct 29, 2017

The people trying to finger wag and say "you have no choice! Vote Dem or enjoy Trump!" don't even pretend to have the best interests of PoC in mind. Those kinds of posts don't invite discussion, don't really attempt to engage in any topic of interest to PoC as voters, and every time someone posts that rhetoric there's no evidence of attempting to understand what PoC want. It's just "Hey, you masses of people, you better vote!" and just repeat that over and over and express disbelief that people push back. I'd be curious to know if any of these finger-waggers consider themselves allies because if they do that's fucking hilarious.

Always chastising with the same "but party unity!" line too. Despite the fact that the fracturing of the party is occurring on the top level of the Democratic party with all the hemming and hawwing of Democratic leadership backing up Omar.

There's the perception that 2016 did not bring out the minority vote in the way that it should have. There's two options:
1. Develop a platform for 2020 that excites minorities
2. Yell at them and tell them to shut the fuck up and vote, or else they get Trump again

The fact that people pick 2 so often as the genuine way to get out the vote is quite concerning and a fundamental misunderstanding of why people even vote in the first place.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Progressive Pelosi doubling down on smearing Corybn and Ilhan together rather than Trump is one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen.

It reminds me of how Pelosi is so happy showing up for photo ops with Ilhan, AOC and such to play foe unity and then doesnt hesitate to slit their throats under the table.

Also for some sad news, youtube new demonetizing progressive videos defending Ilhan. What a free speech victory, i surely trust google as a corporate institution to be reasonable and fair about their moderation practices.

https://twitter.com/TRNshow/status/1117412435260997632

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Progressive Pelosi doubling down on smearing Corybn and Ilhan together rather than Trump is one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen. Also for some sad news, youtube new demonetizing progressive videos defending Ilhan. What a free speech victory, i surely trust google as a corporate institution to be reasonable and fair about their moderation practices.

https://twitter.com/TRNshow/status/1117412435260997632
I wish there was a decent alternative to Youtube....we know where they stand at this point.

Deleted member 6645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people trying to finger wag and say "you have no choice! Vote Dem or enjoy Trump!" don't even pretend to have the best interests of PoC in mind. Those kinds of posts don't invite discussion, don't really attempt to engage in any topic of interest to PoC as voters, and every time someone posts that rhetoric there's no evidence of attempting to understand what PoC want. It's just "Hey, you masses of people, you better vote!" and just repeat that over and over and express disbelief that people push back. I'd be curious to know if any of these finger-waggers consider themselves allies because if they do that's fucking hilarious.

Always chastising with the same "but party unity!" line too. Despite the fact that the fracturing of the party is occurring on the top level of the Democratic party with all the hemming and hawwing of Democratic leadership backing up Omar.

There's the perception that 2016 did not bring out the minority vote in the way that it should have. There's two options:
1. Develop a platform for 2020 that excites minorities
2. Yell at them and tell them to shut the fuck up and vote, or else they get Trump again

The fact that people pick 2 so often as the genuine way to get out the vote is quite concerning and a fundamental misunderstanding of why people even vote in the first place.
I don't know how else to convey it, but to me it's a subtle, lighter, more stealthy form of white supremacy. To them, Minorities are a necessary tool to be used and it's good for your image, so convince them you're on their side. It's not outright hostile and cartoonishly evil like it is with conservatives, but there's a reason why that's the dismissive reaction they give. Truly, there is no interest in giving us equality.

Whenever Trump is out, it'll turn from "Just shut up, okay? Because Trump," to lip service. It's worked before. It's not about unity, it's about control.

I could live with that if it was a few and most of them had no power, but a lot of the democratic leadership also think this way. Their crappy reactions to Ilhan Omar is not surprising in the least.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I come back to this thread to see "allies" calling people Nazis???

Some of y'all really love drinking that establishment kool-aid don't ya.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know how else to convey it, but to me it's a subtle, lighter, more stealthy form of white supremacy. To them, Minorities are a necessary tool to be used and it's good for your image, so convince them you're on their side. It's not outright hostile and cartoonishly evil like it is with conservatives, but there's a reason why that's the dismissive reaction they give. Truly, there is no interest in giving us equality.

Whenever Trump is out, it'll turn from "Just shut up, okay? Because Trump," to lip service. It's worked before. It's not about unity, it's about control.

I could live with that if it was a few and most of them had no power, but a lot of the democratic leadership also think this way. Their crappy reactions to Ilhan Omar is not surprising in the least.

I think it IS a form of white supremacy in manufacturing some sort of Stockholm Syndrome. "Yeah we kinda suck over on this side, but like...you're not gonna vote Republican are you??" and they know the answer is no, so they know the futility of PoC wanting to shape the party to something that represents them better. "These minorities are just too stupid to know what's good for them" is a recurring theme, if not said outright when the threat of minorities not showing up to vote is very real. Not only do you see insidious forms of white supremacy in the implication that they know better about our own issues than we do, their aggression toward the mere idea that minorities may not show up to vote puts the sense of entitlement on display. PoC are useful as a mass of voters, and when we're seen as a mass the aggressive tone of the finger-waggers depressingly makes a lot of sense. Yet again relegated to the bottom of the totem pole, can't make a sound or movement lest we topple over the whole thing and well, if that happens that's just our fault isn't it? "Don't like it on the bottom? You better, because the other side won't even give you a place in the totem pole at all. We both know you're not gonna do any better than this"

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it IS a form of white supremacy in manufacturing some sort of Stockholm Syndrome. "Yeah we kinda suck over on this side, but like...you're not gonna vote Republican are you??" and they know the answer is no, so they know the futility of PoC wanting to shape the party to something that represents them better. "These minorities are just too stupid to know what's good for them" is a recurring theme, if not said outright when the threat of minorities not showing up to vote is very real. Not only do you see insidious forms of white supremacy in the implication that they know better about our own issues than we do, their aggression toward the mere idea that minorities may not show up to vote puts the sense of entitlement on display. PoC are useful as a mass of voters, and when we're seen as a mass the aggressive tone of the finger-waggers depressingly makes a lot of sense. Yet again relegated to the bottom of the totem pole, can't make a sound or movement lest we topple over the whole thing and well, if that happens that's just our fault isn't it? "Don't like it on the bottom? You better, because the other side won't even give you a place in the totem pole at all. We both know you're not gonna do any better than this"
If Jordan Peele ever made a sequel to Get Out, this would be it.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if moderates ever lectured the white working class that vote Republican or don't vote at all the way they constantly lecture minorities.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The same sword they Knight you, they goin good night you with... shiiiit that's only half, if they like you..."

Ilhan Omar is living out these bars.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Trump presidency is a threat to you whether a stupid white person dangles it as a carrot for you or not. Trump threatens you with another term and no-one is holding you hostage for a vote. The consequences of the next election dont change and they dont go away because of the dems history of taking the constituents they say they care about for granted. I have resentment. I have plenty of it but when i vote and when I stand for my party I do so because i know it isnt just about my own issues or what only I think is important. I stand against a party that would take those choices away from me. Align yourself with the issues, align yourself with what should be the criteria that decides who's in power and that is based on policy not resentment.

Remember, our wonderful two party system has made most of this prepackaged.
If this was a winnable strategy, then people like AOC wouldn't have won elections against multi-term centrist incumbents. Making it about Trump only opens the door for someone with less baggage. Being bombastic is not a disqualifier. PoC have survived through worse than Trump.

If your loyalty is to the party and not to ideals, what good are you if you don't have principles or if the only principle is to win when winning is next to worthless. This has become more and more clear to a lot more people over the last year and people are becoming more amenable to the nuclear option if shit doesn't change. If the corporatist dems(a vast majority of dems are) and their true backers want power, they need to step up and give more than lip service.

The status quo can't stand anymore.

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
If this was a winnable strategy, then people like AOC wouldn't have won elections against multi-term centrist incumbents. Making it about Trump only opens the door for someone with less baggage. Being bombastic is not a disqualifier. PoC have survived through worse than Trump.

If your loyalty is to the party and not to ideals, what good are you if you don't have principles or if the only principle is to win when winning is next to worthless. This has become more and more clear to a lot more people over the last year and people are becoming more amenable to the nuclear option if shit doesn't change. If the corporatist dems(a vast majority of dems are) and their true backers want power, they need to step up and give more than lip service.

The status quo can't stand anymore.

Winning is never worthless. For a man so ineffective at fulfilling his promises to his constituents. Trump has done wonders for our court system to ensure his effect Is long lasting. In 1 term (hopefuly) no less. None of his results come form his abilty to govern. All he had to do was win. All of my ideals and my principals might as well be thoughts and prayers without power.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Winning is never worthless. For a man so ineffective at fulfilling his promises to his constituents. Trump has done wonders for our court system to ensure his effect Is long lasting. In 1 term (hopefuly) no less. None of his results come form his abilty to govern. All he had to do was win. All of my ideals and my principals might as well be thoughts and prayers without power.
The concern for us is that we want the Democrats to use their power effectively. Seeing them throw minorities under the bus for political expediency angers us especially when we don't get anything in return. So what we're saying is that the nuclear option is going to be on the table for a lot of folks. The Democrats need to do better in order to keep those votes.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Look at the body language.
For anyone that's ever worked in a corporate environment. This is pretty much how most meetings look. Half the room trying to stay awake the other half trying to look interested and on the one person is actually engaged in a discussion though in this picture It might be the guy in the top right

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone that's ever worked in a corporate environment. This is pretty much how most meetings look. Half the room trying to stay awake the other half trying to look interested and on the one person is actually engaged in a discussion though in this picture It might be the guy in the top right

I've worked in many corporate environments. The crossed arms from one of the principals is a pretty big tell. It's just one moment but it's interesting that that is the one Pelosi chose to post on Twitter.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I've worked in many corporate environments. The crossed arms from one of the principals is a pretty big tell. It's just one moment but it's interesting that that is the one Pelosi chose to post on Twitter.

I don't know about the principal, but the crossed arms, tilted head, concerned look is Corbyn's default state. I thought that body language meant something first time I saw him, until seeing him do it all the time.

In any case, here's Corbyn's Tweet, this time with a pic chosen where he's the one talking to Pelosi. It is kinda a little funny to think about both sides want to be seen as talking, but it obviously doesn't mean as much as what they want to present as the focus of the conversation.

Open and wide ranging meeting with US House of Representatives @SpeakerPelosi today. We discussed the need to protect the Good Friday Agreement, take action on inequality and the climate crisis, confront racism and promote peace.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1117535823346524162

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you forget about Bush, Cheney, and the gridlock during most of Obama's term? The Senate is still lost and a Clinton presidency would be no different than Obama's in the worst ways. That's a Pyrrhic victory.

Trump is a fucking muppet and has the backing of the GOP, which controlled both houses. Attributing this mess to his win completely ignores the fact that this is a systemic issue.

If your principles are that malleable, then why the fuck should Democrats bother pretending to be left of center if winning is the goal? Why not just be Republican-lite or go full on white supremacist? Oh right, that shit doesn't work because conservatives will almost always vote for the real thing. Yet you still try for those votes by acting like realpolitik is the only way to win while ignoring the base and failing to offer something to the disenfranchised. If your principles are so worthless, why should you, or anyone that's so easily compromised, be trusted with any power?