• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mod post - Concerning victim blaming

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
While we don't shield public figures or politicians from criticism, this particular campaign is transparently motivated by bigotry. Please treat this incident as separate and distinct incident and do not attempt to rationalize the bigoted attacks here by referring to past incidents. Such posts will be moderated as victim blaming.

This Staff Post has been edited to be clearer.

Last edited:

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While we don't shield public figures or politicians from criticism, this particular campaign is transparently motivated by bigotry. Please treat this incident as a separate and distinct incident and do not use this thread to relitigate other comments she has made.

This thread is for the racist attacks a congresswoman is receiving and nothing else. Please stay on topic.

So now we're not allowed to discuss context of the issue in the wider scope of ongoing Omar incidents? or how Dem
leadership is failing, leaving her to get attacked, only paying lip service when it's convenient, and at times even providing the right with ammo? Just want clarification cause it seems like this contradicts previous staff statements.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
While we don't shield public figures or politicians from criticism, this particular campaign is transparently motivated by bigotry. Please treat this incident as a separate and distinct incident and do not use this thread to relitigate other comments she has made.

This thread is for the racist attacks a congresswoman is receiving and nothing else. Please stay on topic.
The problem is that it is hard to tallk about it in isolation, without the history of her allies that left her for the wolves and/or participated in attacking her and the special interests that are out to get her.

Just weeks ago members of her own party went to a pro isreal lobby conference where the entire event was all about attacking her.

Ya, the racist king and his people targeting her now is the title of the thread, but it's not the full context.

Edit: forgot to mention, for a lot of people, this is more than just Omar, it is another part of a trend of politicians leaving minorities to dry once they are done using the racism and bigotry as a campaigning vehicle and ditching them when convenient.

This one tweet is part of a bigger story, we can't just view it in isolation.

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's hard to have this conversation and not bring up the Democrats response.... and this goes beyond just Omar, but AOC and any minorities that try to stand up for themselves.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
There is waaaay more discussion around this topic than simply the lane the mods seemingly want us to stay in. SO many things are interrelated and discussion will naturally flow to different aspects of this topic. Trying to mod this discussion in this way, it's very odd...

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not sure how talking about the democrats is off topic. Same democrats that allowed this to happen.

It is too connected to call it off topic.

Oct 25, 2017
It is impossible to discuss what happened to Ilhan without discussing the democrats' role in all of this.
They are complicit,Trump just hit the extremes. This all comes back to how minorities are treated by Establishment Dems and Liberals through the years.
All of this is interlinked.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So are we just suppose to ignore how the dems throwing Omar under the bus constantly is why the situation has progressed to this point?

What the fuck are we supposed to talk about???

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So are we just suppose to ignore how the dems throwing Omar under the bus constantly is why the situation has progressed to this point?

What the fuck are we supposed to talk about???
You mean how every 2020 candidate came out in her defense?

Pretty much everyone has rebuked Trump's tweet?

"Trump is awful! Fuck him!" and move on.... :/
He is though. Nobody is saying move on. Everybody has stepped up and said it's inappropriate.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory post; attacking mods.
These past few months really hammered home where everyone stands for me. I certainly never expected a congresswoman from Minnesota to be my litmus test.
But politician or a rando on ERA, where you stand on Omar is how I will fucking judge you. And it's become painfully clear that "moderates" or "liberals" or whatever the fuck are not on my side. You asshole throwing her under the bus and making up excuses for pathetic Dems are NOT my ally. And before you try to threaten me with 4 more years of Trump, remember: We got Trump because of you and your racist family you don't want to confront on thanksgiving dinner, not my brothers and sisters' melanin infused asses.

Man, fuck off with this bullshit. We're here because of all that happened before, this IS the topic.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So context is irrelevant. Only talk about Trump and his fascism, but completely ignore that Omar's own party has repeatedly thrown her under the bus, emboldening the attack(s) and bigotry against her, as a whole. Gotcha.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

The context surrounding it and the repercussions of the tweet are a part of the topic. The tweet itself doesn't exist in isolation.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
What i've learned in life is that disingenuous people aren't worth any sweat or attention. Their motivations are driven in bad faith so arguing isn't only useless since it doesn't get you anywhere even if you're clearly right, but it also gives the nonsense they speak and believe a bit of credibility (for themselves) whilst when you ignore them it makes them irrelevant.

Ilhan Omar knows this and that's why she will continue, and that is why I love her.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It sure is unfortunate that Trump randomly materialised into power and influence one day where he randomly decided to make this tweet with no other outside factors worth discussing.

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I like how it's never the right time to criticize Democratic leadership. It's just like mass shootings and never being able to have a conversation about guns.

The party has been due for some major housekeeping and its being held back by the people constantly "shushing" away criticism. The current leadership is about as good as a dead log at making people enthusiastic. Almost all the enthusiasm is being brought in by "outsiders" which are constantly given the cold shoulder.

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Read a bit of the thread and got lead to the other forum for a sec. Say what you want but i'm still proud of this forum and where it stands as a whole

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Wow, really great how this incident proves that racism is only found on the right and that liberals have definitely not internalized Islamophobia in any way! Vote blue no matter who, folks!

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After seeing the thread locked last night knew exactly what the mod comment would be if it reopened.

I wonder how "sticking to the topic" will be handled in every thread.

Not dealing with the past is why we are in the spot that we are in as a country and have made very little progress since the civil rights era. If you aren't willing to discuss the history there is no sense in talking the present because the former sets the table for the latter.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I assume you'd be fine with someone making a spin off thread to cover the discussion about the Dem culpability in this, their total mishandling of it and the related exploitation of minority politicians when it suits them, but what's the point? It's totally on topic here, and it just means this thread is going to sink because there's little else to talk about and this is obviously the element of the story want to discuss. What discussion about this story do you think is being stifled?

Oct 25, 2017

"Condemn yourself as well for endangering her life"
The bastards will never see it that way, given how he and others responded to Ilhan in the past, these comments are nothing but empty platitudes, only written to help himself and his colleagues feel better. I would hope that they self reflect and look back at how badly they have handled this in the past, but who am I kidding?

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I assume you'd be fine with someone making a spin off thread to cover the discussion about the Dem culpability in this, their total mishandling of it and the related exploitation of minority politicians when it suits them, but what's the point? It's totally on topic here, and it just means this thread is going to sink because there's little else to talk about and this is obviously the element of the story want to discuss. What discussion about this story do you think is being stifled?
I think stuff like how the wage increase is a neoliberal lie (it is tho)

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I just wish that Omar was a little bit more polished when it came to her messaging. She really has a lot to say and can make a difference. Unfortunately, she doesn't quite close the loops, and leaves gaps for bigots, racists, and idiots from her own side to critique her intentions. Maybe it's her staffers, but she needs to be more prepared before speaking. Especially since she knows that people are hanging on to her EVERY word.

Once she cleans that up, she will be a force to mess with.

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful timing, but Labour does have a significant antisemitism problem.

Corbyn and the Labour leadership deserve to be dragged over the coals for the way they have refused to believe that anybody in the Labour Party could have ever done anything even slightly antisemitic but I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that there is a significantly higher rate of anti semitism within Labour than within other parties or UK society as a whole.

I just wish that Omar was a little bit more polished when it came to her messaging. She really has a lot to say and can make a difference. Unfortunately, she doesn't quite close the loops, and leaves gaps for bigots, racists, and idiots from her own side to critique her intentions. Maybe it's her staffers, but she needs to be more prepared before speaking. Especially since she knows that people are hanging on to her EVERY word.

Once she cleans that up, she will be a force to mess with.

Even when she was totally clear with her words and left no room for misinterpretation her opponents still twisted what she said so they could continue to vilify her.

There is nothing Ilhan Omar can say or do short of shutting up and going away that will stop these attacks on her and to believe otherwise is foolish.