• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
really glad that this is what Pelosi is doing right now. Gotta stand up against those far-left antisemites, like that refugee hijabi lady!

Haaaaaa ha ha ha ha haaa azcaxcljxckxajcamxadssd

Sorry, for our American friends, today has seen possibly the weirdest attempt yet to smear Corbyn, leader of the Labour party as an anti-Semite, by leaking a recording of Corbyn acknowledging historical problems with antisemitism in the party and calling for a stronger, more effective response. Which proves he is an antisemite. Apparently.

Also, Ian Austin is known for his anti immigration rhetoric, making this meeting even funnier (kill me now)

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Corbyn and the Labour leadership deserve to be dragged over the coals for the way they have refused to believe that anybody in the Labour Party could have ever done anything even slightly antisemitic but I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that there is a significantly higher rate of anti semitism within Labour than within other parties or UK society as a whole.

I have no way to know and no reason to believe Labour party members are any worse than other parties in that regard. I was indeed talking about their awful handling of it in their own party.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I interpreted it as "don't shit on Omar for her past comments", not "don't shit on Democrats". I mean, it's pretty explicit about that? What am I missing here that everyone else is seeing?

I feel this is correct, though I imagine the confusion comes from the last sentence:

This thread is for the racist attacks a congresswoman is receiving and nothing else. Please stay on topic.

This could be interpreted as "Don't talk about the Democrats who throw Omar under the bus at any given opportunity because they prefer working with racists than a black Muslim woman", but I don't believe that is the case.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Even when she was totally clear with her words and left no room for misinterpretation her opponents still twisted what she said so they could continue to vilify her.

There is nothing Ilhan Omar can say or do short of shutting up and going away that will stop these attacks on her and to believe otherwise is foolish.

I definitely understand that is just what she and many others in her situation have to deal with on a daily basis, like myself. AOC has a polish to her to balance her passion, and the same with Abrams.... I just think that it will take Omar some time to to get there.

Those looking to bring her down are going to consistently wait on her Every word. she needs to be ready for them, and leave them looking foolish. I don't care about trumps base... they are always going to hate her.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Even when she was totally clear with her words and left no room for misinterpretation her opponents still twisted what she said so they could continue to vilify her.

There is nothing Ilhan Omar can say or do short of shutting up and going away that will stop these attacks on her and to believe otherwise is foolish.

Only this isn't true.

When Omar mistakenly made comments that could be taken as anti-Semitic, it wasn't bad faith outrage from the other side that made her apologize. She was approached by her own allies, who explained how her words could be received, and she apologized. Done and dusted.

This is a completely different situation and should be read as such. The lengths one must go through to twist "some people did something" into something nefarious is absolutely insane. It's a complete bad faith, Fox News hit job.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even though I fully support Ilhan Omar and am incredibly frustrated by some of Democratic figures' half-hearted responses and non-defenses of Omar, I think we should move on because the topic isn't "Democrats throw Ilhan under the bus". I'm more angry towards scum parading as moderates like Dan Crenshaw and other open racists in GOP.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
really glad that this is what Pelosi is doing right now. Gotta stand up against those far-left antisemites, like that refugee hijabi lady!

Wow, as Islamaphobia reaches an all time high, from a smear campaign she is partly responsible for, where a congressional member of her party is a victim of severe abuse and threats to her life.

Pelosi not only responded with a cold shoulder, but went back to bagging on "anti semitism"

Fuck it, I'm done, even if she looses her seat to a republican, I want her out.

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, as Islamaphobia reaches an all time high, from a smear campaign she is partly responsible for, where a congressional member of her party is a victim of severe abuse and threats to her life.

Pelosi not only responded with a cold shoulder, but went back to bagging on "anti semitism"

Fuck it, I'm done, even if she looses her seat to a republican, I want her out.
Prime example why Democrats lose elections right here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Not sure how talking about the democrats is off topic. Same democrats that allowed this to happen.

It is too connected to call it off topic.
It is impossible to discuss what happened to Ilhan without discussing the democrats' role in all of this.
They are complicit,Trump just hit the extremes. This all comes back to how minorities are treated by Establishment Dems and Liberals through the years.
All of this is interlinked.
So are we just suppose to ignore how the dems throwing Omar under the bus constantly is why the situation has progressed to this point?

What the fuck are we supposed to talk about???
So context is irrelevant. Only talk about Trump and his fascism, but completely ignore that Omar's own party has repeatedly thrown her under the bus, emboldening the attack(s) and bigotry against her, as a whole. Gotcha.
I don't think the mod post is saying that Dem reaction is off-limits at all. To me, what they seem to be pretty clearly saying is that this is not the thread for arguing over whether or not past comments Omar have made are anti-Semitic. Plain and simple.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Don't bother. They are just going to downplay it. Total hypocrisy here.
I haven't ever seen any poster on Era say labour hasn't had an antisemitism problem.

What they do say however is that this isn't something that is worse then any other party, that Labour and specifically Corbyn are taking action to help solve this issue and that while antisemitism gets tonnes of news coverage in our press islamaphobia in our society and especially our government gets a 10% as much coverage or outrage.

I mean, today's bombshell about Corbyn being a 'fucking racist' is a secret recording of him saying Labour has had an antisemitism problem and that it hasn't been dealt with properly historically so it will be handled independently to help solve the issues they have had.

Let's try not to paint anyone who actually puts things into correct context as Corbyn maniacs defending him against legitimate attacks shell we.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Even though I fully support Ilhan Omar and am incredibly frustrated by some of Democratic figures' half-hearted responses and non-defenses of Omar, I think we should move on because the topic isn't "Democrats throw Ilhan under the bus". I'm more angry towards scum parading as moderates like Dan Crenshaw and other open racists in GOP.

This is pretty much how I feel.

I know that, as a Democrat, it's part of my job to hold my side to task. And I wasn't happy with some of the half-hearted (or overworked) responses from some Democrats. But still, only focusing on Democrats is, I feel, the lazy thing to do. It's just so easy.

Too often Republicans get a pass on being horrible because everyone just expects them to be horrible. But it can't be forgotten that they're the ones doing this.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dan Crenshaw isn't parading as a moderate. He's a right wing Republican and doesn't pretend otherwise.

It's good to have clarity that Pelosi et al aren't allies of Omar in any sense of the word. They considered her a nice token and prop but only so long as she kept her mouth shut.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I interpreted it as "don't shit on Omar for her past comments", not "don't shit on Democrats". I mean, it's pretty explicit about that? What am I missing here that everyone else is seeing?
i too interpreted the mod post this way. "this isn't the place to debate the nature of her past comments because we're at the point of calls to violence against her."

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Only this isn't true.

When Omar mistakenly made comments that could be taken as anti-Semitic, it wasn't bad faith outrage from the other side that made her apologize. She was approached by her own allies, who explained how her words could be received, and she apologized. Done and dusted.

This is a completely different situation and should be read as such. The lengths one must go through to twist "some people did something" into something nefarious is absolutely insane. It's a complete bad faith, Fox News hit job.

Not this again.

Yes, some of those defending Omar are overly hung up on the notion that her attackers were acting in bad faith. I fully acknowledge that a number of my fellow Jews did genuinely, sincerely perceive her comments as antisemitic.

I just don't agree that that distinction matters much, since (a) the accusation was just plain wrong, and (b) the net effect of those accusations, regardless of their conscious intent, was invariably to suppress criticism of a racist ethnostate and reinforce the Islamophobic trope that Muslims irrationally hate Jews.

and her apology was coerced under incredible pressure from her own party. I don't have to accept it and I don't have to take it as proof that there was actually anything wrong with her AIPAC tweets; I think her refusal to apologize the second time shows she recognizes that.

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dan Crenshaw isn't parading as a moderate. He's a right wing Republican and doesn't pretend otherwise.

It's good to have clarity that Pelosi et al aren't allies of Omar in any sense of the word. They considered her a nice token and prop but only so long as she kept her mouth shut.
He is though. He had empty rhetoric during the shutdown against Trump and that made media swoon. Look a moderate Republican going against his own President! Quick, get him on SNL!

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Only this isn't true.

The attacks against Omar were always in bad faith and it was always going to come to this. The writing was on the wall from the very beginning yet democrats (even AOC) played right into the narrative and more or less admitted Omar's remarks were anti Semitic.

Like another poster said, Omar's apology was basically coerced. She should've been defended by her party not forced to apologize for being right.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

I know that, as a Democrat, it's part of my job to hold my side to task. And I wasn't happy with some of the half-hearted (or overworked) responses from some Democrats. But still, only focusing on Democrats is, I feel, the lazy thing to do. It's just so easy.

Too often Republicans get a pass on being horrible because everyone just expects them to be horrible. But it can't be forgotten that they're the ones doing this.

No, it's actually far, far easier to only focus on how awful and racist Republicans are than it is to demand accountability from Democrats for their more subtle internalization of bigotry.

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Prime example of why the Democrats are dogshit and will remain dogshit because too many people are scared to try to force them to change in case it lets the Republicans in.
Sooo, let's vote Republican? I'm talking about that guy specifically saying he's fine with Pelosi's district going to a Republican.

Mod post - Clarifying previous mod post

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The previous Staff Post was not meant to prevent people from criticizing anyone's response to past incidents. Its purpose was to make clear that using past criticisms of Congresswoman Omar to rationalize why she is been attacked here will be met with moderation, as this is quite transparently motivated by bigotry. The broader political context can still be discussed. Our Staff Post was never meant to prevent discussion on that, and has now been edited to be clearer.

If you have any further questions, please reach out directly to staff.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

Pretty much.

"Some people did something" isn't a new phrase, it's what people have often said in situations where you draw a distinction between the actions a few and the actions of a whole. What exactly was she supposed to say in that instance to make her point that all Muslims are blamed for terrorism? Anyone else could have said the same thing and not raised an eyebrow but anything she says is going to draw this kind of response because ultimately what the right wing forces in the country want is for her to shut up. The fact that the Democratic leadership seems to agree with the right on that issue is even more damning.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing to be gained from meeting with xenophobes and the spineless cowards who left Labour to form the Independent Group.

I guess cowards gotta stick together, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
also, I'm not saying anything new here, but it's so incredibly transparent how the "members of Group X are infallible arbiters of bigotry against Group X" principle wielded by liberals against Omar doesn't apply to Muslims who perceived the accusations of antisemitism as Islamophobic.

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, aligning yourself with xenophobes in addition to the other issues.
Not good.

I don't think the mod post is saying that Dem reaction is off-limits at all. To me, what they seem to be pretty clearly saying is that this is not the thread for arguing over whether or not past comments Omar have made are anti-Semitic. Plain and simple.
Thanks for the clarification and apologies to B-Dubs for misreading.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Yep. It's 100% the fact that she said anything at all. Trying to act like if wording it a little different is giving these asshats credit they don't deserve. Fuckers are literally trying to get her killed by stirring up crazies.

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
I dont want to hear anything about not criticizing Dems for their response to this because the same people spouting that nonsense had no problem criticizing Omar a week ago.

Oct 28, 2017
Ilhan liked a tweet recently that called our Pelosi enjoying photoshops that celebrate diversity but disappears when it comes to defend that diversity.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I feel this is correct, though I imagine the confusion comes from the last sentence:

This could be interpreted as "Don't talk about the Democrats who throw Omar under the bus at any given opportunity because they prefer working with racists than a black Muslim woman", but I don't believe that is the case.

I guess, but it's kind of weird to interpret it like that unless you already believe criticising the lack of support from Democrats is offtopic (which it obviously isn't).

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But still, only focusing on Democrats is, I feel, the lazy thing to do. It's just so easy.

There have been plenty of times I've agreed with this general stance and thought people were wrong to focus on Democrats over Republicans, but this isn't one of those times.

I can't remember the last time Democrats went so far to run from what should have been an easy moral victory and media win. That horrible poster alone was prime material for Democrats to call out Republicans and assert their support for Ilhan and other Muslims, and they practically went out of their way to miss the opportunity. It makes the mostly weak-as-hell responses to Trump's video - which is trying to accomplish the same thing as the poster - that much weaker.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And people were criticizing me when I said that Pelosi doesn't deserve praise for doing the bare minimum (fighting Trump on the border wall funding). She's obviously garbage.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

To some people they arent the ones doing this. To some people if dems bending to powerful lobbies in any way as to hinder push-back of this behavior they instantly become just as, if not more, responsible than the people actually spewing hatred. As if to say that standing up to that hatred in this administration's unstoppable law breaking and hatred stampede would have prevented any of it anyways.

"What's there to talk about? We've all already said our piece on trump. Hes never going to change." As if the goal was ever to get Trump to change. The bigotry from the right doesn't become less of an issue because we are all bored of talking about it. The calls for unity are not a request to turn a blind eye to the shortcomings of dem leadership or the blemishes of presidential hopefuls. It is a plea to prevent cataclysm that encompasses all the important values that leftists fight for. The bigger picture, Yes, it IS more important that any single issue. It is the issue of issues.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I see. Thanks for explaination and apologies to B-Dubs for mis understanding.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bigger picture, Yes, it IS more important that any single issue. It is the issue of issues.
Nah, it bears repeating that Trump is a symptom, not the disease. He's the wound that many have just started to notice because it has begun to fester, while the underlying sickness has been slowly eating away at the body from the inside for decades.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nah, it bears repeating that Trump is a symptom, not the disease. He's the wound that many have just started to notice because it has begun to fester, while the underlying sickness has been slowly eating away at the body from the inside for decades.
I agree that he is a symptom and not the disease. He is a symptom that is causing the disease to spread at a dangerous rate and our mistake would be to treat the symptom and feel that the disease is cured and our work is done. Like many times we've done before.

The ability to find cures is what we are fighting for and that does come before everything else. Again it doesnt make everything else go away. A stance doesnt cancel out all others and we have to stop acting like that is the case.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that he is a symptom and not the disease. He is a symptom that is causing the disease to spread at a dangerous rate and our mistake would be to treat the symptom and feel that the disease is cured and our work is done. Like many times we've done before.

The ability to find cures is what we are fighting for and that does come before everything else. Again it doesnt make everything else go away. A stance doesnt cancel out all others and we have to stop acting like that is the case.

Ok, who is doing this? Many of your posts imply that none of us will vote democrat come the presidential election because we are complaining now. Why? All of us here will vote democrat in the presidential. Why are all of your posts predicated on the belief that we will never vote democrat because we are angry?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ok, who is doing this? Many of your posts imply that none of us will vote democrat come the presidential election because we are complaining now. Why? All of us here will vote democrat in the presidential. Why are all of your posts predicated on the belief that we will never vote democrat because we are angry?
We want Democrats to succeed. That's why we are angry. We want them to be better and not simply "less racist than the GOP"

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We want Democrats to succeed. That's why we are angry. We want them to be better and not simply "less racist than the GOP"

Uh...yeah, I know that. That's why I am angry. But there are so many posters implying that we will not vote democrat come the presidential election because we are complaining therefore we are somehow responsible for Trump. And I'd like to know why this is such an article of faith with them.