• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Uh...yeah, I know that. That's why I am angry. But there are so many posters implying that we will not vote democrat come the presidential election because we are complaining therefore we are somehow responsible for Trump. And I'd like to know why this is such an article of faith with them.
I was agreeing with sorry. It was meant for the poster you were replying too. We will vote Dem come election time.....I might have to just bite my tongue while doing so if this crap doesn't change. I'm tired of voting for "lesser of the two evils" I want someone genuine.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, as Islamaphobia reaches an all time high, from a smear campaign she is partly responsible for, where a congressional member of her party is a victim of severe abuse and threats to her life.

Pelosi not only responded with a cold shoulder, but went back to bagging on "anti semitism"

Fuck it, I'm done, even if she looses her seat to a republican, I want her out.
Following the start of the congressional recess, Pelosi immediately left on a trip to Europe - she was in Germany yesterday visiting troops. This was a pre-planned meeting and Labour has a real institutional anti-semitism problem. That you put it in quotation marks is incredibly gross, it's not something that people are bringing up in bad faith on the left in the UK and the fact that many here believe it's not a real thing that's only used to slur people is horrible.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Following the start of the congressional recess, Pelosi immediately left on a trip to Europe - she was in Germany yesterday visiting troops. This was a pre-planned meeting and Labour has a real institutional anti-semitism problem. That you put it in quotation marks is incredibly gross, it's not something that people are bringing up in bad faith on the left in the UK and the fact that many here believe it's not a real thing that's only used to slur people is horrible.
My point was that she is still concerned with anti semitism abroad while ignoring rampant islamaphobia, that she played a role in.

When I put anti semitism in quotation marks, its because it came from her mouth (or rather hands) and her previous misuse of it in participating in a smear campaign.

I'm not that familiar with UK politics, so I can't tell if it is legit or not another smear campaign like in the US, but I will definitely give it a side eye when ever it comes from Pelosi.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point was that she is still concerned with anti semitism abroad while ignoring rampant islamaphobia, that she played a role in.

When I put anti semitism in quotation marks, its because it came from her mouth (or rather hands) and her previous misuse of it in participating in a smear campaign.

I'm not that familiar with UK politics, so I can't tell if it is legit or not another smear campaign like in the US, but I will definitely side eye when ever it comes from Pelosi.
This is what the latest blowup is, it started a week ago based on leaked documents about internal complaints being handled poorly. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47845390 https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47924025

Oct 25, 2017
The UK media class is far worse then the US one and if you thought the attacks on Omar were nonsense but fall for this stuff on Corbyn you're a sucker.

It's all Tory shit and the people Pelosi is meeting with would rather cuddle up to Tories.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
The UK media class is far worse then the US one and if you thought the attacks on Omar were nonsense but fall for this stuff on Corbyn you're a sucker.

It's all Tory shit and the people Pelosi is meeting with would rather cuddle up to Tories.

From the UK, the current Labour party does have a problem with anti-semetism, while I would agree that the UK media has shown bias, it is a real problem that Corbyn should have fixed by now but hasn't. Comparing the Illhan Omar situation to the Labour Party/Jeremy Corbyn situation is like comparing apples to oranges.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Ok, who is doing this? Many of your posts imply that none of us will vote democrat come the presidential election because we are complaining now. Why? All of us here will vote democrat in the presidential. Why are all of your posts predicated on the belief that we will never vote democrat because we are angry?

I have a laser focus on upcoming election and I think for good reason.

My post is trying to explain why some members post the way they do in here. And i think people see some defenders as blind loyalists and dont consider the frustration some of us feel that the standards for dems are so much higher than that of republicans. Some would take that as a call to ignore all shittyness from our party and silence all all non supporters of the establishment. That simply isn't true, at least not from me. But the situation is embodied in this very thread. Trump does abhorrent action #213 and everyone shrugs and says "well that's trump' then we all argue among ourselves about how Dems suck and what-not.

So, who cares? If we want to make our leaders better we have to hold them to the fire right? Yes we do. So there is no harm in criticizing our leaders and wanting better representation of our values right? I'm not so sure. This is indeed the goal but having values is meaningless without power. It's a balancing act that the right does not have to deal with because they have rigged the system in their favor and only care about one thing. The lack of standards for republicans and their leaders and our indifference toward that have made the standards for our own leaders a weakness. And its a weakness that Trump wants to exploit as much as possible with his attacks on Omar.

It's just an explanation of a perspective. I'm not saying that because people are angry they wont vote for dems. I'm saying that this kind of uproar does more than just get us riled up on a forum. People like me, that want out of this nightmare, want to push every advantage and leave nothing to chance. So, everything, even descent among dems is seen as a setback.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
My bad then, I don't mean to excuse the legit offenses, but I wouldn't take it from Pelosi though.
She's as credible on anti semitism as Trump is on Islamophobia.
Or Trump on Anti semitism.

I'll try to better read into these cases better.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just wish that Omar was a little bit more polished when it came to her messaging. She really has a lot to say and can make a difference. Unfortunately, she doesn't quite close the loops, and leaves gaps for bigots, racists, and idiots from her own side to critique her intentions. Maybe it's her staffers, but she needs to be more prepared before speaking. Especially since she knows that people are hanging on to her EVERY word.

Once she cleans that up, she will be a force to mess with.

And as soon as black people wear suit and ties they will stop being profiled by the police. She isn't saying anything that hasn't already been said. She is just an easy target due to this being 'Murica.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the UK, the current Labour party does have a problem with anti-semetism, while I would agree that the UK media has shown bias, it is a real problem that Corbyn should have fixed by now but hasn't. Comparing the Illhan Omar situation to the Labour Party/Jeremy Corbyn situation is like comparing apples to oranges.
The comparison is between the UK media and the US media, who both show their ass anytime they talk about left-wing anti-Semitism.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
really glad that this is what Pelosi is doing right now. Gotta stand up against those far-left antisemites, like that refugee hijabi lady!

God... why are these scumbags treated with any relevance by people actually in government?

Pelosi really stacking up the bad looks lately. What next? She gonna meet up with Farage's new party as well?

Pretty much.

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My post is trying to explain why some members post the way they do in here. And i think people see some defenders as blind loyalists and dont consider the frustration some of us feel that the standards for dems are so much higher than that of republicans. Some would take that as a call to ignore all shittyness from our party and silence all all non supporters of the establishment. That simply isn't true, at least not from me. But the situation is embodied in this very thread. Trump does abhorrent action #213 and everyone shrugs and says "well that's trump' then we all argue among ourselves about how Dems suck and what-not.

So, who cares? If we want to make our leaders better we have to hold them to the fire right? Yes we do. So there is no harm in criticizing our leaders and wanting better representation of our values right? I'm not so sure. This is indeed the goal but having values is meaningless without power. It's a balancing act that the right does not have to deal with because they have rigged the system in their favor and only care about one thing. The lack of standards for republicans and their leaders and our indifference toward that have made the standards for our own leaders a weakness. And its a weakness that Trump wants to exploit as much as possible with his attacks on Omar.

It's just an explanation of a perspective. I'm not saying that because people are angry they wont vote for dems. I'm saying that this kind of uproar does more than just get us riled up on a forum. People like me, that want out of this nightmare, want to push every advantage and leave nothing to chance. So, everything, even descent among dems is seen as a setback.
Then maybe party loyalists need to shut the fuck up about party unity and loyalty when they've given nothing to PoC and other marginalized groups except tokenization and paternalism. We do our part in every election and the current presidential administration is the fault of whites. If you want to see change, then whites need to get their collective shit together instead of threatening a second Trump term because our lives are more or less the same regardless of who is in the white house. That shit should make you pause before you start droning on about double standards when ideology is abandoned. You want us to have your back? Then you better have ours and it's pretty obvious that you don't.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
If people want more unity in the party then these politicians need to give something back to every supporter and not just lip service.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm unified with Omar. If you want me to throw her under the bus for "unity", I'm not sure you understand what "unity" means.

She was and still is under attack by the right. You can either defend her or hang her out to dry.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Do these people not realize "unity" is a two-way street? How can you expect black and brown people to "unify" to the Democratic party no matter how badly they are treated? Why is a constituency that votes >95% Democrat in every election for decades have to beg and plea for a little bit of backup from a party that's enjoys their near universal support and is still often denied that support?

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

no greater than any other political party. there are 500k members of the party and the number of complaints amount to 0.1% of the party

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47203397

The data published revealed:

• 673 complaints of anti-Semitism by Labour Party members were received - a Labour spokesman said this represented about 0.1% of the membership
  • 96 members were immediately suspended after complaints were made and a further 211 were told they would be investigated
  • 146 members received a first warning, and 220 cases did not have sufficient evidence of a breach of party rules for an investigation
  • Of the 307 who were suspended or notified of an investigation, 44 members left the party
  • Another 96 were referred to the party's anti-Semitism Disputes Panel
  • Of the 96, 16 members were issued with a formal warning from the National Executive Committee, six members' cases were referred for further investigation, 25 members were issued with reminder of conduct (a first written warning), and seven members' cases were closed as the full evidence suggested no further action should be taken
  • The panel decided to refer the other 42 members to Labour's National Constitutional Committee (NCC), with five members leaving before their cases were reviewed
  • Of the 37 cases referred to the NCC, 12 members were expelled and six received sanctions, while the rest await their outcome
  • The other members who were suspended or notified of an investigation are either still under investigation or are cases where the investigation revealed evidence that meant the case could not be pursued further
  • The party received a further 433 complaints which were not about Labour party members

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Then maybe party loyalists need to shut the fuck up about party unity and loyalty when they've given nothing to PoC and other marginalized groups except tokenization and paternalism. We do our part in every election and the current presidential administration is the fault of whites. If you want to see change, then whites need to get their collective shit together instead of threatening a second Trump term because our lives are more or less the same regardless of who is in the white house. That shit should make you pause before you start droning on about double standards when ideology is abandoned. You want us to have your back? Then you better have ours and it's pretty obvious that you don't.
A Trump presidency is a threat to you whether a stupid white person dangles it as a carrot for you or not. Trump threatens you with another term and no-one is holding you hostage for a vote. The consequences of the next election dont change and they dont go away because of the dems history of taking the constituents they say they care about for granted. I have resentment. I have plenty of it but when i vote and when I stand for my party I do so because i know it isnt just about my own issues or what only I think is important. I stand against a party that would take those choices away from me. Align yourself with the issues, align yourself with what should be the criteria that decides who's in power and that is based on policy not resentment.

Remember, our wonderful two party system has made most of this prepackaged.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Do these people not realize "unity" is a two-way street? How can you expect black and brown people to "unify" to the Democratic party no matter how badly they are treated? Why is a constituency that votes >95% Democrat in every election for decades have to beg and plea for a little bit of backup from a party that's enjoys their near universal support and is still often denied that support?

Democratic leadership knows this whole situation is a catch 22. Black and Brown people are a minority in the USA AND White people have a disproportionate vote in the Senate and Electoral College due to the way the Senate and EC are set up. They know that if minorities abandon the Democratic party things will get much worse for minorities in the short run since Republicans will be in charge. It seems the bet Democratic leadership is taking is that they will still have minority support by putting in the minimal effort since the only other political option to vote for is Republicans or waste a vote on a third party .

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
A Trump presidency is a threat to you whether a stupid white person dangles it as a carrot for you or not. Trump threatens you with another term and no-one is holding you hostage for a vote. The consequences of the next election dont change and they dont go away because of the dems history of taking the constituents they say they care about for granted. I have resentment. I have plenty of it but when i vote and when I stand for my party I do so because i know it isnt just about my own issues or what only I think is important. I stand against a party that would take those choices away from me. Align yourself with the issues, align yourself with what should be the criteria that decides who's in power and that is based on policy not resentment.

Black voters have been doing that 80+ years.

You're really clueless on whats happening here. Trump is threat to White Americans as a whole yet he's voted in and supported by them.

Take all that angst and point it at them, and any racist conservative family you may possible have. Minorities don't owe anyone a thing, and frankly it's more than time we worry about ourselves because it has been abundantly clear no one else gives a flying fuck

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

We understand the consequences. Most of us are going to end up voting Dem anyway no matter how much we complain. Withholding our votes is the nuclear option, but it is one the few ways we can actually influence the Democrats. They tend to listen more to donors than to us. We could try to run more progressive candidates against stagnant incumbents, but the DCCC just implemented that rule that discourages primary challengers. The party leadership isn't open to the radical change we need and often opt for incremental changes. People are getting frustrated with it and it's going to eventually hit a tipping point unless something changes.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going from memory here, but I'm pretty sure the Muslim voting Bloc used to be staunch Republican voters.

Well, until the war on terror and the direct Islamaphobia from Republicans.

What I'm getting at is, voting blocs hold no allegiance to anyone but those who support and defend them. If the Muslim Bloc decides this is enough to completely disengage from the voting process, whose fault will that be and what can those whose fault it will be do now to show some basic level of support.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What I'm getting at is, voting blocs hold no allegiance to anyone but those who support and defend them. If the Muslim Bloc decides this is enough to completely disengage from the voting process, whose fault will that be and what can those whose fault it will be do now to show some basic level of support.
Parties aren't owed votes. They have to earn them. For many, just being slightly less racist than the GOP isn't a good enough reason to vote for a party. For others, it is. Shaming others into voting for the party you want won't work, but people keep trying to do it.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going from memory here, but I'm pretty sure the Muslim voting Bloc used to be staunch Republican voters.

Well, until the war on terror and the direct Islamaphobia from Republicans.

the gop would most like break even if they dropped racism from their portfolio.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, at this point it is clear where PoC stand in the Democratic party: voting cattle and PR props. We even have some people in this very thread who can't or won't answer if they see us more than that. Our concerns and our protection are a distant, distant secondary concern. We can and will be thrown under the bus at a moment's notice for political gain. I guess that's the one "good" thing that has come out of this debacle with Ilhan Omar--we black and brown folks now have a clear picture of where we stand when comes to Democrats.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. Of course we would the Democrats to a higher standard. I have not given up on the democratic party because of it. I have not written it off as a party of hate and greed like I have with the republican party.

2. If "protecting a fellow representative from threats of assassination" is somehow too high of a bar for democrats, than we are in far more danger political wise than just Trump. Fortunately it looks like she finally responded on the issue.

Jan 10, 2018
I mean, at this point it is clear where PoC stand in the Democratic party: voting cattle and PR props. We even have some people in this very thread who can't or won't answer if they see us more than that. Our concerns and our protection are a distance, distant secondary concern. We can and will be thrown under the bus at a moment's notice for political gain. I guess that's the one "good" thing that has come out of this debacle with Ilhan Omar--we black and brown folks now have a clear picture of where we stand when comes to Democrats.

I missed the "the true enemy are Democrats" rhetoric. Its election time again

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the status quo dems will stop throwing her under the bus and contributing to the anti Muslim rhetoric around Omar and actually support her. They wont but we can dream

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Pelosi did the right thing.

Assess the situation, research the source material of the integral parts of Omar's speech then comment when all is gathered
Fuck no, I'm pretty sure she only did it because she was pressured to.
Her first ridiculously late response did not mention Omar or the Islamaphobia, "just 9/11 is sacred"

Hell, her stubborness to adress the issue gave me the impression that she wanted Omar gone herself.

Fuck Pelosi.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Her first ridiculously late response did not mention Omar or the Islamaphobia, "just 9/11 is sacred"

Hell, her stubborness to adress the issue gave me the impression that she wanted Omar gone herself.

Fuck Pelosi.
The "right" thing is following procedure.

Actually standing by your allies, well not the "right" thing. Support of allies comes second to procedure, which involves hallowing 9/11 once again.

Jan 10, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Personal attack, history of similar behaviour
Not sure how you got that from that post.
Reading

Fuck Pelosi.

There is a value in being able to pressure politicians to do the right thing. Treasure that memory.

Holy shit how are you this tone deaf, you're proving the OP's point exactly.

I don't value Dekims Nazi rhetoric. Sorry for that.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Black voters have been doing that 80+ years.

You're really clueless on whats happening here. Trump is threat to White Americans as a whole yet he's voted in and supported by them.

Take all that angst and point it at them, and any racist conservative family you may possible have. Minorities don't owe anyone a thing, and frankly it's more than time we worry about ourselves because it has been abundantly clear no one else gives a flying fuck

I've already cut communication with a lot of my cousins all of my uncles and a few of my friends and one of them wasnt even a trump supporter he was just someone that "understood" why trump gets the support he does. And this is after my Puerto Rican family got paper towels thrown to them after the hurricane decimated my people and the lack of aid intentionally and hatefully decimated them more. Even then they couldnt break from the cult of personality Trump and his goons have built to guarantee there support for at least another generation. That is what we are up against. A legion of hate that will never listen to reason or admit they were wrong.

We understand the consequences. Most of us are going to end up voting Dem anyway no matter how much we complain. Withholding our votes is the nuclear option, but it is one the few ways we can actually influence the Democrats. They tend to listen more to donors than to us. We could try to run more progressive candidates against stagnant incumbents, but the DCCC just implemented that rule that discourages primary challengers. The party leadership isn't open to the radical change we need and often opt for incremental changes. People are getting frustrated with it and it's going to eventually hit a tipping point unless something changes.

No argument here.

1. Of course we would the Democrats to a higher standard. I have not given up on the democratic party because of it. I have not written it off as a party of hate and greed like I have with the republican party.

2. If "protecting a fellow representative from threats of assassination" is somehow too high of a bar for democrats, than we are in far more danger political wise than just Trump. Fortunately it looks like she finally responded on the issue.

Make no illusions. She took her time to read the room and responded. It's a political calculation. She woudl rather Omar shut up so that we wouldnt be talking about this at all as it muddies the grander message. The one thing liberals unite against is trump and the nuance of more complex issues doesnt keep peoples attention. It's a game.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
If saying PoC having a clearer picture of where they stand with Democrats politically translates in your head to "Oh, so you think Democrats are the enemy, huh", then that is more damning towards Democrats than anything else.

Nazi rhetoric?!?!? Hahaha.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
First time in my life I'm called a 'Nazi', and it's for daring to demand better from people who supposedly have my back and I supported since I started voting in 2004.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's awful timing, but Labour does have a significant antisemitism problem.
It does.
Official Staff Communication
The previous Staff Post was not meant to prevent people from criticizing anyone's response to past incidents. Its purpose was to make clear that using past criticisms of Congresswoman Omar to rationalize why she is been attacked here will be met with moderation, as this is quite transparently motivated by bigotry. The broader political context can still be discussed. Our Staff Post was never meant to prevent discussion on that, and has now been edited to be clearer.

If you have any further questions, please reach out directly to staff.
Why didn't you say that in the first place. Dummy. 😜

You almost got me perm'd. (had i posted my initial response to your Message)
I mean, at this point it is clear where PoC stand in the Democratic party: voting cattle and PR props. We even have some people in this very thread who can't or won't answer if they see us more than that. Our concerns and our protection are a distance, distant secondary concern. We can and will be thrown under the bus at a moment's notice for political gain. I guess that's the one "good" thing that has come out of this debacle with Ilhan Omar--we black and brown folks now have a clear picture of where we stand when comes to Democrats.
Pretty much.
I don't value Dekims Nazi rhetoric. Sorry for that.
dbvVwJ4.gif